Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

12 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Understood.  As would I.  But as you have pointed out Bears fans tend to be extreme in their emotions as to comes to any hires, draft picks, and FA acquisitions.  Shouldn't we wait and see:

1. What does the rest of the staff look like.

2. Can they develop a quarterback?

Seems more prudent to see how it plays out at this point before claiming it was a successful hire or failure.  None of us knows the answer to that question as of yet.  There have been defensive HCs that have had good offenses.  Just because it hasn't happened here doesn't mean that it can't.

Absolutely. That's all I can do is wait and see. Hopefully he'll be able to bring in a good staff and help build and develop a good team.  That's all we can ask for.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

George wanted to hire Caldwell, who would have undoubtedly cost more than Eberflus. Poles decided to hire Eberflus instead.

This hire has nothing to do with George being cheap.

I don't think they have been cheap for years.  They don't spend like LA or Cowboys but they don't have near the revenue either.

People consider me cheap, but I am not.   I just don't have that much extra money, LOL.

Be interesting to see how Arlington stadium changes spending habits.  In long run should be good, in short run may be a cash crunch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

George wanted to hire Caldwell, who would have undoubtedly cost more than Eberflus. Poles decided to hire Eberflus instead.

This hire has nothing to do with George being cheap.

Why would Caldwell cost more? Eberflus is going to get the same if not a similar deal to everyone else.

Not elite coaches get 5-6 million/season and then all that matters is years.

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Cut out the BS.....No it isn't lol. Not even close.

Being an assistant HC in the same profession while competing with 31 of the best teams in the world with the best players>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Coaching in Canada against 6 teams with couple of has-beens and kids who couldn't hack it.

There's a reason nobody is knocking on their doors looking for hires.

Hey…

Its pretty true.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Pep would be a slam dunk. I would offer him 2 million/season to come here and work with Fields.

Why exactly? He wasn't great when he was part of the Bears coaching stuff with Turner. He also didn't do much with Herbert, Tyrod Taylor was the starting QB and Hebert had zero reps. I think Hebert was going to be good no matter what. 

Whoever the OC is one thing is key...regardless of scheme he must be in logger step with Poles and I would presume Eberflus that the trenches are the most important thing…this OL needs at least two new starters IMO…two guys who bring physicality and toughness…we need to keep Fields protected at all costs…give me the 2nd round OL and 5th round WR over the opposite every time.

1 minute ago, Nads786 said:

Why exactly? He wasn't great when he was part of the Bears coaching stuff with Turner. He also didn't do much with Herbert, Tyrod Taylor was the starting QB and Hebert had zero reps. I think Hebert was going to be good no matter what. 

Herbert was far from a slam dunk coming out...and he done a ton with David Mills this season...if anything Mills was the 2nd most impressive rookie QB in the class...

Also please don't refer back to anyone on the Ron Turner staff...first it brings on PTSD...secondly he was so terrible that no one else stood a chance.

3 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

He has tons of experience.

In back to back seasons he has guided rookie QBs to great and a good performance.

ProFootballTalk

@ProFootballTalk

·

27m

Momentum builds toward a Josh McDaniels, Dave Ziegler package with the Raiders; however, as we learned four years ago, it's never done for McDaniels until it's done.

The Raiders might be getting the dream...let's see how it plays out haha.

I would love it if we could pick away at that Raiders staff...Eberflus has a clear link to Marinelli & Bisaccia from Dallas...could we convince them to not only come in but bring Greg Olson in as well...he would be the perfect OC IMO...he isn't going to be poached for an HC gig but led Derek Carr to an excellent year...he has a ton of experience and could bring in a quality staff of his own.