Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

7 hours ago, Ty21 said:

First order of business: trade Eddie Jax for a fourth round pick.

FTFY.

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Brady got a super raw deal in CAR. 

He did. Brady got to be the scapegoat. How fun for him. 

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Didn't think Desai was that bad for a first time DC.  What do you have against him?

Didn't make the most of his talent. Was ridiculously conservative at crucial moments. Didn't seem to have a good feel for what was actually transpiring on the field. 

He wasn't terrible...but he was far from good. 

6 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Can we stop changing the names of these threads every day? Or now that we have our GM/HC, can we make two separate threads to discuss these - especially now that this is 150+ pages and is seemingly going back and forth between topics every few pages

It's maddening. Threads should be closed, and new ones posted in their place. I've already bitched about it--to no avail. 

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1

https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/sports/chicago-bears/haugh-bears-change-matt-eberflus-ryan-poles-is-at-least-progress

Important notes:

Suffice to say, much of Bears Nation believed their beloved team had flubbed up the coaching search – or Eber-flubbed it up, if you will. And the Bears deserved every bit of cynicism directed their way following the obscure hire, all the skepticism that skewered the McCaskeys after the latest big decision.

Around Chicago, the default response to all things Bears always begins with doubt. This one also came with a shrug.

That doesn’t mean it’s a great hire, only that it’s unfair to prematurely declare Eberflus an awful one. As hires go, it’s more of a stand-up double than a home run, but it’s not the swing-and-a-miss on a fastball out of the strike zone Marc Trestman was.

In full transparency, I'd hoped the Bears would favor experience over experiments, but they followed the McCaskey family tradition and hired a first-time general manager – Ryan Poles – who promptly hired a first-time head coach in Eberflus. I suspect the McCaskeys traditionally surround themselves with inexperience for reasons related to their organizational insecurity, a conversation for another day.

Too much already has been made about what defense Eberflus plans to run – he’s a 4-3, Cover-2 believer with flexibility – and what offense he'll install. Those details matter, but they didn’t distinguish Eberflus from the others during this process, according to sources.

It’s not implausible that Poles had Eberflus on his short list of potential head coaches for wherever he ended up becoming a general manager. Poles and Eberflus share an agent, Trace Armstrong – ironically, also former Bears coach Matt Nagy’s representative – so it stands to reason that they'd have a relationship and working knowledge of each other’s strengths.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:
6 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Can we stop changing the names of these threads every day? Or now that we have our GM/HC, can we make two separate threads to discuss these - especially now that this is 150+ pages and is seemingly going back and forth between topics every few pages

It's maddening. Threads should be closed, and new ones posted in their place. I've already bitched about it--to no avail. 

This sub seems to only operate 2 ways. Either multiple threads about the same thing or everything in one big cluster **** lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Wait, what? What are you talking about? I'm been talking about the McCaskey's being cheap with their HCs for ages.  I said it when we hired Nagy and I said again back in September.

I've also been very clear that this class is weak since I didn't see anyone that stood out.

I was talking about the comment about not wanting a retread or a new HC, But then saying an Assistant Head Coach has the "sweet spot" (my interpretation, not your words). You also want an offensive coach.

Current Assistant Head Coaches that have an Offensive Specialty

Rob Davis (DAL) - his first year as a coach and was an NFL OL (one year for Chicago)

Jemal Singleton (PHI) - has a long history of being a RB coach and nothing else, just got his AHC title.

Duce Staley (DET) - longtime RB who was a AHC for PHI and now DET while also being the RB coach

Harold Goodwin (TB) - AHC and run game coordinator who has been at Arians hip for years. Was an Ast OL coach with us for a few years. Was AZ's OC from 2013 to 2017.

Thomas Brown (LAR) - RB coach who got the AHC title this year. Only in his 2nd year coaching in the NFL.

Jon Embree (SF) - AHC and TE coach. Coached TEs in college for a long time, was HC of Colorado for a few years and been a TE coach in the NFL since 2013. Been AHC since 2017

Carl Smith (SEA) - 73 year old with a long time as an offensive QB coach, AHC, consultant, etc. But again - 73 years old

I mean the parameters are pretty damn tight to fit all that. I'm not crazy for Eberflus and he wasn't even in my top 5 (maybe top 10? I honestly never made a top 10 I think, but I'll assume he was near the bottom or was 10th). To be fair with how terrible our passing attack has been Matt himself might be able to lead them to over 188 yards per game passing. lol 

I hold no love for Poles or Eberflus. If they suck then throw them to the curve after 3-4 years (assuming there isn't a Emery/Trestman collapse), but I have more reason to believe they can win a playoff game or have more than 1 winning season in 7 than I do Pace or Nagy doing so with more time. I'd rather be a team that swings for the fence and gets a few top 5 picks than one that routinely finishes around the .500 mark and maintains that mediocrity. And after accepting Fox upon suggestion and then handpicking the clown that is Nagy, Pace clearly can't pick a HC either.

Let them have their few years and if they suck then send them to the sun or if they are good then send Polian a good bottle of wine and some benefiber as a thanks. lol

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-chicago-bears-matt-eberflus-coaching-search-20220126-e7ib26vuwfg6tcfckwkzy2iriu-story.html

Sean Lee on Flus...

Lee credited Eberflus for helping players master the defense quickly.

“That’s what makes him so special,” Lee said. “Whatever the scheme is, he knows it and he can teach it. He can teach scheme, he can teach technique and fundamentals and to go along with that, he can motivate. The best coaches can do all three.”

Eberflus ran a breakfast club at 7 a.m. Wednesdays in Dallas for players who weren’t in a special teams meeting. He would offer a head start on the week.

“I would walk into the room and he would have the whole game plan laid out,” Lee said. “You’d walk in and we would have an hour going over what does this team do well in the run game and the pass game and how are we going to combat it. It was paired with scheme. Then we talked about practice. What fundamentals are we going to work on that are going to play out in this game? The level of detail was extremely high.

“That is where I learned so much football from Flus. Being able to sit there and learn from him was huge.”

Injuries plagued Lee, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, and he missed the 2014 season after suffering a torn ACL. Even during extended periods on injured reserve, when players can become checked out, Lee felt like he was growing.

“He willed me through a lot of tough times,” Lee said of Eberflus. “I dealt with a lot of injuries and it was back-to-back years of either missing huge periods of time or a couple weeks of time, and his ability to continue to teach me, to will me through those tough times and to be able to come back from that, he was a huge reason I was able to come back and sometimes come back better because of how much he taught me.

“There’s no question he can reach every corner of the locker room. As a player, you want someone that is going to give you answers, is going to motivate you every single day, and that’s who he is. He’s going to give you the answers to get better consistently and he’s going to hold standards. He’s going to be relentless about how hard you’re going to work. Most football players relate to that.”

This is a really important part from Marinelli as well...

“When you look at the head coach position, what is that role?” Marinelli said. “Matt can really teach, and more importantly he can really teach his staff what he wants. Each guy will have his own personality, but it will be one heartbeat as a staff, which is so important.

“When I was in Tampa, you could see it there with Lovie, Herm Edwards, Mike Tomlin, all of them coming up as position coaches. Working under Tony Dungy, I had a good feel of what this looks like, and Matt is in that same mold (of) just being a terrific teacher and strong. There’s zero doubt in my mind.”

That is really underrated in most HCs.

I couldn't care much less about having first time HC and GM, they can surround themselves with experience. We already have Champ Kelly and Josh Lucas on staff and either could be the assistant GM. I'd be fine getting another assistant GM like Tim Terry or a former GM like Rick Spielman (he might want to spite MIN) or Dave Caldwell (can get more of his name out for a potential 2nd swing than as a 'Personnel Executive' IMO) to come in as a seasoned hand.

I'd have preferred several but I have no major objections to either hire, just my own preferences. If they work out well then great, if not then of well. With our last regime we were going nowhere at all anyway.

I was hoping for an offensive minded head coach, but on ESPN, Michael Wilbon they said the last two failed miserably(Trestman and Nagy)  Da Bears are known for defense.  Let's see how Eberflus does as a coach.  I just hope he brings in a strong OC to help mentor Fields.

• Like 1