Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He’s right about the 2nd and 3rd waves in FA - there are definitely value signings there. But that doesn’t mean he can afford to just sit out the first wave either. 

I think it is more about getting the best value. WAS for years "won" FA but was still a poor franchise because they got less value out of those contracts (especially Fat Albert). 

My stance is that you get wins by getting the beat value out of your contracts rather than going for the biggest signings. This is why Hicks was an incredible signing for Pace and why EJax has beem a miserable re-signing to date. This is how I'm interpreting the 2nd and 3rd waves thing at least.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I think it is more about getting the best value. WAS for years "won" FA but was still a poor franchise because they got less value out of those contracts (especially Fat Albert). 

My stance is that you get wins by getting the beat value out of your contracts rather than going for the biggest signings. This is why Hicks was an incredible signing for Pace and why EJax has beem a miserable re-signing to date. This is how I'm interpreting the 2nd and 3rd waves thing at least.  

I think he is going for the Ted Thompson approach...I remember watching PFT once and Florio saying that Thompson told him once if you hit on 33% of draft picks you are doing a good job...the more picks you have the more chance you have of hitting on someone because as we have seen players in the league come from every where...same goes for FA...signing more guys to 1 year contracts gives you a far better chance of hitting on someone who you can then extend for longer because you know they fit your scheme and in your building rather than dropping a ton of money on someone you can never be 100% sold on.

• Like 1

Jason Lieser

@JasonLieser

Colts LB Darius Leonard gave me a sharp rebuke when I jokingly asked if he's glad he won't have to hear about Matt Eberflus' HITS acronym anymore.

“No, I’ll miss it,” he said.

“That HITS principle made me who I am.”

Take my money Matt!

Edited by Madmike90
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I think he is going for the Ted Thompson approach...I remember watching PFT once and Florio saying that Thompson told him once if you hit on 33% of draft picks you are doing a good job...the more picks you have the more chance you have of hitting on someone because as we have seen players in the league come from every where...same goes for FA...signing more guys to 1 year contracts gives you a far better chance of hitting on someone who you can then extend for longer because you know they fit your scheme and in your building rather than dropping a ton of money on someone you can never be 100% sold on.

As long as he recognizes when he NEEDS to make a signing then im good with it. We were lucky some of that refusal to make bigger moves in FA bit GB on the ***. Could you imagine if they had build that defense up? Might be looking at another 2 rings in GB if Ted was less stubborn. 🤮

• Like 1

Just now, Sugashane said:

As long as he recognizes when he NEEDS to make a signing then im good with it. We were lucky some of that refusal to make bigger moves in FA bit GB on the ***. Could you imagine if they had build that defense up? Might be looking at another 2 rings in GB if Ted was less stubborn. 🤮

You could even say this year if they had went and got OBJ I reckon they are in the Superbowl...aww well...sucks to be a packers fan 😂

Jason Lieser

@JasonLieser

·

2h

Chiefs OT Orlando Brown on new Bears GM Ryan Poles: “He’s incredible at what he does and he understands the development of offensive linemen, specifically — I know that. Everybody in the building had nothing but positive things to say about him. Very much respected."

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Could you imagine if they had build that defense up? Might be looking at another 2 rings in GB if Ted was less stubborn. 🤮

Thompson was...not good, at his job. He was a below average GM, to be kind. 

Pace was better than Thompson. 

On 2/5/2022 at 3:23 PM, Sugashane said:

Those 2nd and 3rd wave players are still hungry and play like it. They’re also willing to take shorter deals that are easier to get out of. Akiem Hicks was once a 3rd wave FA. He had upside and there was almost no risk in signing him.

Several of the more analytics-driven baseball teams adopted this approach a few years ago - sign a bunch of middle tier guys who raise the floor of the roster rather than 1 guy who raises the ceiling.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 2/1/2022 at 3:11 AM, Madmike90 said:

DaBearsBlog

@dabearsblog

·

6h

Something I said on 

@IrishBearsShow

that isn’t out there publicly: Ryan Poles won fans during his interview with his honesty about this Bears roster. He was not kind, especially about the OL. He’s going to attack this thing.

Wow. Re-reading this thread everyone had LONG lists of names we thought were good for the Bears, and Matt2 and Ryan2 were not on them. Large number of those other names have had more success at their new teams than Bearses. 

There was for sure some attempt to talk ourselves into these hires, but by far the most accurate takes were the satirical ones.

Edited by BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW

7 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Wow. Re-reading this thread everyone had LONG lists of names we thought were good for the Bears, and Matt2 and Ryan2 were not on them. Large number of those other names have had more success at their new teams than Bearses. 

There was for sure some attempt to talk ourselves into these hires, but by far the most accurate takes were the satirical ones.

Have they? Teams like the Raiders are a mess & the Giants after a good first season are massively falling apart…Minnesota also don’t look great…

Overall it wasn’t a great cycle all round.

Looks like yall about to release Claypool for nothing

I told yall from the start Poles aint ready. He's made probably the worst moves of any FO right there with Las Vegas. 

I know Fields has been inconsistent, but Poles has made some horrible moves. I hate seeing Justin not have the right resources. If you all do end up drafting Caleb I may go up to your headquarters myself and boycott. 

You all cannot ruin two of the most talented QBs in the last decade. Poles is in over his head I'm telling yall. Get him out of there before its too late. He cannot make the 2024 picks for you all. He's the type to draft down from pick 2 instead of picking Marvin. Get him out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

I told yall from the start Poles aint ready. He's made probably the worst moves of any FO right there with Las Vegas. 

I know Fields has been inconsistent, but Poles has made some horrible moves. I hate seeing Justin not have the right resources. If you all do end up drafting Caleb I may go up to your headquarters myself and boycott. 

You all cannot ruin two of the most talented QBs in the last decade. Poles is in over his head I'm telling yall. Get him out of there before its too late. He cannot make the 2024 picks for you all. He's the type to draft down from pick 2 instead of picking Marvin. Get him out. 

dude, can you just stop? i get you have JF1's **** constantly in your mouth but you don't have to run in here every singe time he gets a papercut. yeah the claypool trade was bad, but it's by far his worst move. I still dont think it's worth than giving up all that draft capital and a fully guaranteed contract for a dude with 24 sexual assault lawsuits. 

i hope for two things in life. either we never see you in here again or we exclusively draft OSU players then turn around and ruin them. just for ****s and giggles

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

At least they didn’t hand out a 240 million dollar contract.