Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

5 hours ago, soulman said:

Screw the "branches" and "trees".  If that's such a great approach why isn't Matt Nagy another Andy Reid?  Why haven't any of Belicheat's former assistants and/or coordinators cut a fat hog as someone else HC.  What we need is our very own acorn we can grow our own tree from. 

Choose from the less likely everyone else is seeking.  Bring in a guy like Dave Toub who knew how to get excellence out of his ST every year even with a revolving door of players.  First get a guy who know how to coach period.  Offense, defense, ST, it doesn't matter.

Guys who can coach positions and even handle coordinator positions are all over the place.  If you have player talent and a strong HC to work under you can fill the other spots with some of the best minds out there.  But you need a strong leader players believe in and respect.

Find that guy and hire him.

I think you're on the right track but I would add that what we need is a guy who has experience with autonomous control over his specific side of the ball.

In KC it's the Andy Reid show and always has been and that's where it stops. That's why I don't dig Eric Bieniemy as a serious candidate for the Bears HC position. Also why I'm not really big on Leftwich either. Tampa basically has two coordinators ahead of him calling the shots in Arians & Brady.

Those guys could both very well go on to be a great head coaches some day but I think after the Nagy experiment it'd be a big risk for this team to go that route again.

This is also why I'm high on Daboll. In addition to leadership traits and being able to command a group of players he has proven he can run the show on offense all by himself since he works under a defensive background head coach in Sean McDermott. He has developed Josh Allen into one of the best young QBs in the NFL and has that Bills O humming along.

Need I say more?

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I think you're on the right track but I would add that what we need is a guy who has experience with autonomous control over his specific side of the ball.

In KC it's the Andy Reid show and always has been and that's where it stops. That's why I don't dig Eric Bieniemy as a serious candidate for the Bears HC position. Also why I'm not really big on Leftwich either. Tampa basically has two coordinators ahead of him calling the shots in Arians & Brady.

Those guys could both very well go on to be a great head coaches some day but I think after the Nagy experiment it'd be a big risk for this team to go that route again.

This is also why I'm high on Daboll. In addition to leadership traits and being able to command a group of players he has proven he can run the show on offense all by himself since he works under a defensive background head coach in Sean McDermott. He has developed Josh Allen into one of the best young QBs in the NFL and has that Bills O humming along.

Need I say more?

I agree and it’s why I’m interested in Waldron. We’ll get to see him for a full season in charge of an offense with a QB similar to Fields.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Unless the guy was primarily a ST coordinator like John Harbaugh (or even Ditka) it's more likely a HC prospect would come from one side of the ball or the other.  If I had a preference I'd probably keep hunting the offensive side since I believe Sean Desai is likely to be as good a young DC as we're likely to find and may even become a HC prospect eventually.  He's a very intelligent guy who learned from one of the best.

I've mentioned Dave Toub before because he not only fits my picture of a true coach who know the game, what to expect from his guys, and how to get it but he has also been an OL coach and an OL himself.  If there's any unit where we have almost totally failed since around 2005 it's been in the caliber of our OL.  If you want a HC with autonomous control over anything then make it the damn OL since ours have often sucked like a Dyson.

I'm not necessarily promoting Dave Toub per se but rather a HC with his kind of experience and characteristics who may be more of a generalist in his coaching skills and also more willing to allow is top lieutenants to run their specific offensive and defensive units with less interference than we've been accustomed to under both Lovie and Nagy.  A HC who can flavor the drink without believing he should mix it every game.

Who we need is a motivator who demands excellence in his guys as far as knowledge of their assignments and execution and whose not too timid to bench guys or ship their ***** out the door if they can't perform at a high level.  In both Ditka and Buddy Ryan we had coaches like that along with a couple of top offensive guys to coach the OL and coordinate to compensate for Ditka's lack of talent at that part.

Lovie was also a great motivator and had a very good defensive staff but always lacked the same caliber of coaching on the offensive side and that may have been because he was so restrictive that some of the better brighter offensive minds wouldn't come to Chicago to work with him so we got mostly cast offs and has beens or a never was like Tice.  IMHO Cutler's career suffered due to the lack of a great OC.

Anyway, this is just my own opinion of who we should hire.  I want a guy whose willing to stick his neck out and tell his bosses to leave him the phuc alone to coach his team and can shut them up by going out and producing as expected for a change.  The guy Emery should have hired was Bruce Arians or one like him and we may still have had that guy now.  But there are others like him so go and find one then hire him.

I'm as done with Nagy as one person can possibly be.  The guy won't even answer a simple question like whose gonna be calling plays because he probably still hasn't made up his mind.  If with one of the very worst offenses in the NFL he believes that's somehow being cagey and a ploy to deceive Detroit it only proves what a stone cold loser he is.  IMHO Matt Nagy is the complete antithesis of who we need as a HC.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, soulman said:

I've mentioned Dave Toub before because he not only fits my picture of a true coach who know the game, what to expect from his guys

I feel like every fanbase of a team who has been on the hunt for a new HC in the past half decade (atleast) has thrown Toub on the list, and Im not sure he's ever come all that close for anyone.

I get what you are saying, and agree with some of the traits you are highlighted as needs for a good HC, but it just seems like if he was as good of a HC as many like to lay out his resume to be, he would have gotten a better chance by now.

Brian Daboll would be at the top of my list, and as a bit of a counter to the Offensive minded trend of HCs, Matt Eberflus would be high up there for me as well. But of course this is all abut more than just the one guy. Its also about what his vision forward is, as well as who they know they can bring in as other coaches (Coordinators specifically)

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 5:25 PM, Madmike90 said:

I think we can all agree that Nagy has to go as quickly as possible given he has proven he is completely incapable of developing an offence that can work in the NFL...so as much as I don't doubt we will have to suffer through the rest of the season with him at the helm I figured we could start to look ahead at some of the potential candidates to be our next OC...I am going to collate as much info as possible on candidates, strengths and weaknesses, their offensive philosophies & schemes, what kinds of staffs they could bring with them & how could they impact this franchise overall...here are the guys I want to look at in no particular order or based on how much I like them (Hate McDaniels haha)...

Brian Daboll...Buffalo Bills OC

Byron Leftwich...Tampa Bay Buccaneers OC

Joe Brady...Carolina Panthers OC

Josh McDaniels...New England Patriots OC

Kellen Moore...Dallas Cowboys OC

Kevin O'Connell...LA Rams OC

Klint Kubiak...Minnesota Vikings OC

Mike McDaniel...San Francisco 49ers OC

Shane Waldron...Seattle Seahawks OC

Who else would you like to see as a potential candidate for the top job?

I'd take Brady or McDaniels or both.  McDaniels with Brady as OC.   

I don't know a lot about other guys.  

I'd prefer a John Gruden long term type deal, but that is a little scary if Bears are making the choice. 

McDaniels character may be questionable though.  Not as far as getting in off field trouble, but in being honest and having trust.  What he did in Indy was weird. 

I think it was just Kraft making him an offer he couldn't refuse and something about Indy that wasn't quite right for him.  But it seems he left them and the ACs in a lurch.  I would like to know whole story on that.   

I don't know real story on him really.   He knows football though.

36 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I'd take Brady or McDaniels or both.  McDaniels with Brady as OC.   

I don't know a lot about other guys.  

I'd prefer a John Gruden long term type deal, but that is a little scary if Bears are making the choice. 

McDaniels character may be questionable though.  Not as far as getting in off field trouble, but in being honest and having trust.  What he did in Indy was weird. 

I think it was just Kraft making him an offer he couldn't refuse and something about Indy that wasn't quite right for him.  But it seems he left them and the ACs in a lurch.  I would like to know whole story on that.   

I don't know real story on him really.   He knows football though.

His time in Denver was bizarre and off-putting as well, although it got us (stuck us with?) Cutler.  Might be smart on offense but I would not want someone so volatile and erratic in charge. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G08 said:

I want him as head coach if/when Nagy is canned.

Works for me. It's confusing...people bouncing between choices for interim coach and permanent head coach...

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

His time in Denver was bizarre and off-putting as well, although it got us (stuck us with?) Cutler.  Might be smart on offense but I would not want someone so volatile and erratic in charge. 

He tossed Cutler for Tim Tebow. He was fired even though they won a playoff game (with Tebow!) that basically nobody thought they had a chance in.

There's something WRONG with the guy. And we don't need to flush one lunatic only to replace him with another. 

53 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Cant imagine Brady is going anywhere else as an OC, feels lik hes in Carolina till he gets a Head Coaching gig, which could be this year

In Chicago would be fine with me. 😁

• Like 1

Brian Daboll – Buffalo Offensive Coordinator

llw8de87tmyx4s5dgezs

2020 Bills Offence Rankings

2nd Overall in Total YPG - 396.4 YPG

2nd Overall in PPG - 31.3 YPG

1st in 3rd Down Conversion - 49.7%

3rd Overall in Passing YPG - 288.8 YPG

11th Overall in Passing Attempts - 596 attempts

4th Overall in YPPA - 8 YPP

20th Overall in Rushing YPG - 107.7 YPG

14th Overall in Rushing Attempts - 411 attempts

18th Overall in YPRA - 4.2 YPG

9th Worst in Sacks Allowed – 27

Coaching History

Strengths…

Development of a raw QB in Josh Allen – As with every move we will make this offseason everything has to be about putting Justin Fields in a position to take the next step in his development and turn his clear natural talent into a refined all round QB…this is the exact same development than Josh Allen had to take…Allen coming out of NDSU was a big, strong armed QB who had rare athletic ability but was seen as a guy who held on to the ball a little too long, processed a little slowly and didn’t have the quickest of releases…sound familiar? Allen was even more raw than Fields to start with but Daboll has worked with him extensively to find what works for him and put him in a position to succeed and that is exactly what he has done going from a guy who has improved his QBR by around 20 points in each of his first three seasons in the league…67.9 in 2018…85.2 in 2019 & 107.2 in 2020 while taking his completion percentage from 52.81% to 58.79% & then 69.23% in the same time frame…those are enormous improvements that have been overseen by Daboll and Allen will be the first to admit that without him it might never have happened.

Appreciates that Football Players are more than Xs & Os – Sometime we get too tied to the idea of schemes and play calling when it comes to head coaches or even coordinators and forget that the biggest part of these guys jobs is to develop players and build relationship based on trust and respect…this is taken from an article about Josh Allen losing his grandmother…

Like many male-dominated sports, football has a reputation for harbouring toxic behaviour among players and coaches alike. However, Brian Daboll is trying to change this. Yes, he wants his players to be tough out on the field, but he also wants them to know that it’s OK to be a human being with real emotions. When Josh Allen lost his grandmother, he credited Daboll with giving him a safe space to let out his feelings in an embrace after his first game since her death.

“I kept a cool head until after the game and I saw Dabes,” Allen told ESPN. “I’m just glad Dabes was there and I just let it all out. I love Dabes and I appreciate everything that he’s been to me here.”

Allen isn’t the only one to value Daboll as a coach who appreciates him as a person either…Stefon Diggs who is known for not being the easiest guy to work with is also full of praise for Daboll’s approach…

“I hate to keep giving him so much credit because I don’t want anyone to steal him from me,” Diggs said. “He’s a guy that knows what he’s doing, he knows the flow of the game, knows when to call what. We just trust him, whatever he calls, I’m running it…He always has our back and I ain’t seen him miss yet.”

Cole Beasley on Daboll staying in Buffalo after last season…

Beasley smirked when he was asked about Daboll staying in Buffalo at least one more season as OC after not getting any of the vacant head coaching positions.

“I’m selfish so I’m happy (laughs) he didn’t get any of the jobs. I want him to be happy and do what he wants to do, but I love him too much,” Beasley said. “I don’t want him to go. I’m happy he’ll at least be here for another one.”

“The dude’s an incredible coach, probably the best OC I’ve ever played for - not just schematically but as a person too,” Beasley said. “The mentality he brings to the offense is incredible. He’s just like one of the dogs out there too. He thinks that way. Any time you’ve got a guy like that leading you it makes it fun to go play. I’m excited to have him back.”

When you have players who are not only valuing the fact you can put them into a better position to win but also that you are the type of man they want to play for then that means more than just about anything else you could need to be a head coach…as I said part of being a head coach is being able to get guys to buy in from all backgrounds and walks of life…Daboll seems to have that leadership ability that is so essential in making the step from excellent OC to excellent HC.

Adjusts to Players & what they do Best – Daboll had a reputation in the past for being a hardass who wanted players to do things his way and only his way…from the reports I have read this is from his time in NE where Belichick controlled everything…Daboll tried to bring that to his stints in New York with the Jets, Cleveland, Miami & Kansas City…frankly it was the biggest reason behind his failure…Daboll however seems to have learned from this mistake and now understands that sometimes players understand what they do best better than he can…

Beasley on Daboll taking on feedback and ideas from players…

Beasley said offensive players can make suggestions to offensive coordinator Brian Daboll about what plays they need to work on the next day in practice.

"That's why I love Daboll so much," said Beasley. "I have so much respect for him and I'm so appreciative of the opportunity and the belief that he has in his guys. You feel that. And when you feel that from a coach you're not afraid to go up to him and suggest things."

Beasley even went so far as to suggest a new play concept that he thought could work well for the kind of personnel they have on offense.

"I gave him a play idea that I got from June (Jones) in college three days ago," Beasley said. "We put it in and ran it twice. There was no hesitation. He was like, 'I like it. Let's put it in and see how it works.' It's really cool to work with a guy that'll do that who is humble. He doesn't take it like you're trying to do his job. He just likes to try things and have fun with it. We love that about him. It makes it a lot of fun to come to work."

Understands Offensive Balance only Means so Much – I think everyone in the NFL knows that the best offences are balanced offences…that said the very best offences are efficient ones…Daboll sees game planning and play calling as a feeling and not so much about hitting a certain number of both…

“We’re a week-to-week team. Balance is important if it’s working. If one of them (the run or the pass) is not working, then you better not have too much balance. You better do the other thing more,” Daboll said.

This type of mind set clearly comes from working in some really diverse offences…from NE and the two TE set…to the Randy Moss deep…to the quick hitter offence…to Alabama and the power run game…he has been a part of a ton of different offences that valued very different things and that has allowed him to take a lot of different concepts to Buffalo and make them work week in week out regardless of what the defence is trying to do to stop it.

Weaknesses

Daboll calls plays from the Booth and isn’t on the Sidelines – This is a really interesting wrinkle in Daboll as a potential HC…a couple of years ago Daboll decided he wanted to be up high to get a better view of the field to help his play calling…I don’t think there is any doubt it worked but the concern would be if he moves back down to the field as he would have to do as a HC would that have an impact on his play calling ability? Would he struggle to have everyone around him with different ideas and vying for his time? It could be nothing…but it could be a big change for him to make when he is already trying to control an entire team.

Past Failures – As I briefly mentioned before Daboll left NE for the Jets as a QB coach before getting his first shot as an OC for Cleveland in 2009…his offence finished 32nd in total yards per game and 29th in PPG…in 2010 his offence finished 29th in total yards per game and 31st in PPG…in 2011 Daboll moved to Miami as OC…his offence finished 22nd in total yards per game & 20th in PPG…2012 Daboll was again on the move this time to KC finishing 24th in total yards per game & 32nd in PPG…now of course Daboll is a far better coach now 10 years on from these failures and as I said before his whole attitude from then towards his players has completely changed for the better but those failures can’t be completely over looked and should be questioned in his interview.

The “New England Stink” – This one is less of a concern for me but again it will be questioned…many coaches who have came from the Patriots Way have fail outside of New England…Daboll has been detached from it more than most coaches who have became head coaches but the lack of success from that of organization is concerning and we have to find out what makes Daboll different.

Potential Coaching Staff

The coaching staff that a HC can attract to a franchise is so important because no one can do it all by themselves…Daboll IMO will be the #1 candidate for pretty much so every HC opening this offseason and due to that I think he might even get a say in the GM he brings with him…

GM – Joe Schoen – Bills Assistant GM – Schoen has been with the Bills since 2017 learning under Brandon Beane…he has helped turn the team around from cellar dwellers in the AFC East to a genuine Superbowl contender…Daboll is always quick to credit both Beane & Schoen for the job they have done in building a tough, physical and smart team…to top it off Schoen grew up a fan or Notre Dame and you guessed it…the Chicago Bears.

GM – Dan Morgan – Panthers Assistant GM – Morgan has only been the Panthers assistant GM for one season…before that he was the VP of Player Personnel in Buffalo and really close with Beane & Schoen…Morgan as a former player who has worked his way up from the bottom would bring a toughness & work ethic to the front office we have rarely seen.

OC – Ken Dorsey – Bills QB Coach – Dorsey has been a big part of the development of Allen and this offence as a whole…as a former player he knows what is required to play the position and has been with Daboll since 2019…could be difficult to get him though considering he would 99% be offered the Bills OC job once Daboll left.

OC – Shea Tierney – Bills assistant QB coach – Tierney seems to be the Bills secret weapon…Tierney has a really close relationship with both Allen who he has been with from day one…and Daboll who he followed to Buffalo from Alabama…it wouldn’t shock me at all if Tierney was the guy he trusted to bring with him as a 2nd pair of hands to work with Fields…Tierney is an up and comer for sure.

OC – Brent Key – Georgia Tech AHC/Run Game Coordinator – Key and Daboll served on the same staff at Alabama…Key was once seen as a shoe in to be a HC at UCF before moving on to Bama and now Georgia Tech when he is assistant HC/Run Game Coordinator and OL Coach…his experience working closely with a HC could help Daboll as a first time HC and his experience of coaching OLs would be massive here considering how much work our line needs...I could also see him coming here as an assistant HC.

DC – John Butler – Bills DB Coach – Butler is one of the most underrated coaches in all of football IMO…he has taken guys who others didn’t rate and turned them into stars like Jordan Poyer who was a 7th round pick that Cleveland let walk…Micah Hyde who was a 5th round pick who GB let walk…he has taken undrafted Levi Wallace and 4th round pick Taron Johnson and turned them into starts who after this season are both going to get really good sized contracts as free agents…Butler has called plays before at Penn State for a season and I think he deserves a shot to run his own defence…issue could be that Sean McDermott and Butler are really close having grown up together.

DC – Derrick Ainsley – Chargers DB Coach – Another guy who Daboll worked with at Alabama in 2017…Ainsley is an up-and-coming coach in the NFL and one of the highest paid assistants in football…reason being he has had experience as a DC and playcaller in the SEC while at Tennessse taking their offence from 77th in the country to 23rd in the space of a season…he runs a 3-4 with split safeties which could mean fewer moving pieces on that side of the ball and Eddie Jackson getting back to his best.

DC – Matt Patricia – New England Senior Advisor – Hear me out hear me out…Patricia was clearly over awed by being a HC…too many spinning plates for a guy who is knows as a control freak…but he did have an excellent run as a DC in New England for a long time and many years on the same staff as Daboll…his terrible experience as a HC could serve Daboll well in knowing what not to do when he makes the transition.

Offensive Scheme & Philosophies

Good luck to anyone trying to put Daboll’s offence into a box…Daboll has been part of some of the best offences in the history of both pro and college football…he has turned his hand to being able to develop an offence to fit his players rather than putting players into his offence…the only real consistent mainstays of his offence has been that his RBs have to be able to catch the ball well and provide checkdown options in 2020 Singletary had 38 receptions…Moss with 14 receptions…both combined for 68 targets…only Cole Beasley and Stefon Diggs had more targets than that combined RB amount…the other definitive thing about Daboll is he will play 11 personal with 1 RB, 1 TE & 3 WRs on as many snaps as possible…66% of the time he lined up in a standard 11 personal in 2020…Daboll is also a big fan of lining up his TE in the backfield as an H-Back…he will also run 4 WR sets when possible to spread the field…15% of offensive snaps in 2020 the Bill had 4 WRs on the field which was good for 2nd in the NFL…you would think that lining up in these personal groupings would mean a lot of passing…but in reality the Bills were really balanced finishing 14th overall in rushing attempts…Daboll also values versatility in his receivers…looking at the Bills roster they have a 6-5” WR all the way down to a 5-7” guy…he looks to take advantage of skill sets depending on what the defensive matchup is…Diggs & Beasley are the mainstays at receiver but Daboll will then attack the weakness of a defence with his other WR who could be a guy like Davis & Sanders brining really different skill sets…Daboll will also involve his TE in Knox but hasn’t featured him…I would say that is more down to talent rather than design given Daboll coached Gronk to back to back 1,000 yard seasons…I have very little doubt that Daboll could make a TE the key part of his offence if he wanted too…in terms of offensive line again Daboll has spent time in a ton of different schemes from out and out power schemes to zone schemes…in Buffalo it’ been more of a power scheme but he values athletic guys who can be used in multiple ways including RB, TE & WR screens. In terms of play calling some will think Daboll is a typical New England dink and dunk artist but nothing could be further from the truth…in 2020 Buffalo gained on average 8.94 yard per pass on 1st down…they gained a another first down on 34.57% of their first down throws…that is outstanding production and in comparison we gained 6.34 yards per pass & only 25% further first downs on first down passes…Daboll will aggressively look to pass down the field on 1st down to then open up more options on 2nd & 3rd…by doing this the Bills were then able to convert 49.7% of their 3rd downs because they weren’t in 3rd & +6 on a lot of attempts…that conversion percentage was the best in the NFL.

What would we Need to Change to Help Daboll’s Offence Succeed?

Outside of the obvious that any coach will need…i.e a Centre who can block someone 1on1…improved play from the other four offensive linemen including Jenkins & Borom stepping up into starting roles…Daboll is going to need us to rebuild at WR…the position is so important to him because he plays with 3+ WRs on so many snaps…I think Robinson is done here in Chicago given how much money he thinks he is worth…if that is the case we need a new #1 receiver…Stefon Diggs was targeted 166 times last season…the next closest to him was Cole Beasley on 107…that near 60 target gap show you how much Daboll tried to get his #1 target open in the scheme…I think Mooney fits the #2 role that we are seeing Emanuel Sanders play this year but with way more speed…I think he is a great fit…we also don’t have a great option in the slot to play that Cole Beasley role…I think we would resign Byrd who is being massively underused here right now but I think we would need more talent than him to make this offence really work…that is before we even get to the 4th WR which could be Goodwin and then we still need depth behind these starters and probably some size…that is a lot to find in one offseason so I would expect either plenty of signings or multiple picks to make it happen which given we need to build around Fields wouldn’t be such a bad thing.

Conclusion

The more I read about Daboll the more I felt he was going to be the number one target for us at HC…and probably every other team looking for an HC in the NFL next offseason…given his experience level & success developing not only a raw QB but a highly efficient offence overall off his own back without the influence of an offensive minded HC it is easy to see why…the most impressive thing I leaded about Daboll when researching him was not about his scheme or play calling but about how his players raved about how he treated them and the love and trust they had for him…that is the key for any successful HC…Daboll has access to a lot of good coaching trees where he could bring assistances and position coaches from as well which is also a positive…I feel if we gave him time with Fields and the receivers his scheme needs then he could bring real long term success here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Works for me. It's confusing...people bouncing between choices for interim coach and permanent head coach...

He tossed Cutler for Tim Tebow. He was fired even though they won a playoff game (with Tebow!) that basically nobody thought they had a chance in.

There's something WRONG with the guy. And we don't need to flush one lunatic only to replace him with another. 

In Chicago would be fine with me. 😁

The confusion began because you bounced a weird idea about Lovie as an interim coach 😅

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

He actually wanted to make a trade that would get him Matt Cassel but the three way trade (TB was the other team IIRC) but it fell through. At that point he was going to keep Jay but Jay told him to F off and was going to hold out.

The best he could do was getting Orton and the picks so he rolled with him for a year before drafting Tebow the next offseason. Sucky year to have to draft a QB. Tebow turned out to be the 2nd best QB in the class.