Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

24 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Anyone else thinking Kellen Moore isn't getting out of Dallas? As soon as some one comes for him I reckon McCarthy is gone and he is promoted.

Seems like a stretch until you realize its Jerry Jones. You could have a better shot if your new GM was from someone Moore is cloae to but who would you want to promote from DAL's staff? McClay? 

Actually could go for Brian Xander. He was a GM for DEN but was over Moore in DET and has been with the Rams over the last 4 years. Nit sure I am crazy about it but hes likely grown from his time as a GM 10 years ago. 

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

Seems like a stretch until you realize its Jerry Jones. You could have a better shot if your new GM was from someone Moore is cloae to but who would you want to promote from DAL's staff? McClay? 

Actually could go for Brian Xander. He was a GM for DEN but was over Moore in DET and has been with the Rams over the last 4 years. Nit sure I am crazy about it but hes likely grown from his time as a GM 10 years ago. 

My thoughts exactly haha

If Moore did get out of Dallas I don't think he would come as a package deal...Daboll is the only guy I see having the leverage to do that this offseason...I think Moore would just interview with whoever is GM.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Anyone else thinking Kellen Moore isn't getting out of Dallas? As soon as some one comes for him I reckon McCarthy is gone and he is promoted.

Depends on how this season goes. If the Cowboys tear it up, I find it hard to believe that Jones would ****can McCarthy. 

The more research I do into these HC candidates the more I worry about how some of these young guys are going to put together a quality staff...some of them just haven't had the time around the league to seemingly form relationships with really high quality coaches...now of course we don't know who these guys know like McVay getting Wade Phillips...Shanahan getting lucky with Saleh...Kingsbury managed to get Joseph after he was done as a HC seeming out of no where as well...only two I see who should be locked in for staffs are Daboll & Waldron...McDaniels had a quality staff in Denver but that was 10+ years ago and I don't know how many would want to put themselves back in that position...especially after what he did to Indy.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The more research I do into these HC candidates the more I worry about how some of these young guys are going to put together a quality staff...some of them just haven't had the time around the league to seemingly form relationships with really high quality coaches...now of course we don't know who these guys know like McVay getting Wade Phillips...Shanahan getting lucky with Saleh...Kingsbury managed to get Joseph after he was done as a HC seeming out of no where as well...only two I see who should be locked in for staffs are Daboll & Waldron...McDaniels had a quality staff in Denver but that was 10+ years ago and I don't know how many would want to put themselves back in that position...especially after what he did to Indy.

All valid points, so I'll play devil's advocate.

Success breed opportunity in the NFL. On the offensive side there is Fields and that will drive a larger market for the OC and QB coach. There are pieces on defense and even if there is a failure there are always times people want position coaches who are "overqualified" for their lower roles. If they do well they can potentially have a chance at a HC gig, and if there is a position coach who doesn't have at least enough ego and confidence to think they can train up their assistants to their liking then I wouldn't want them as a coordinator or higher.

Fired HCs may want to take a year off or something, but most want to get back to proving why they were HCs in the first place. There is rarely a shortage of good options for coordinators, just often an overestimation of their abilities (Gase for example). I like pairing young coaches with experience, so I want to keep Pettine on the staff even when Nagy is booted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

All valid points, so I'll play devil's advocate.

Success breed opportunity in the NFL. On the offensive side there is Fields and that will drive a larger market for the OC and QB coach. There are pieces on defense and even if there is a failure there are always times people want position coaches who are "overqualified" for their lower roles. If they do well they can potentially have a chance at a HC gig, and if there is a position coach who doesn't have at least enough ego and confidence to think they can train up their assistants to their liking then I wouldn't want them as a coordinator or higher.

Fired HCs may want to take a year off or something, but most want to get back to proving why they were HCs in the first place. There is rarely a shortage of good options for coordinators, just often an overestimation of their abilities (Gase for example). I like pairing young coaches with experience, so I want to keep Pettine on the staff even when Nagy is booted.

I'm a big believer in this as well...not sure I would want to keep Pettine but if we went with a guy like Waldron I would want Bill Callahan here as AHC/OL...if it was a guy like Kubiak I would want Rick Dennison as ACH/OL...these older guys who have seen a lot would be key in helping these young guys through.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

That is also on the GM.

I also think there are some coaches who are worth keeping on this staff.

• Like 1

Just now, WindyCity said:

Desai

Townsend

Rumph

I would be fine with keeping Castillo and Flip

You would keep Desai as a DC? No way IMO...

I don't rate Townsend much either...Rumph I could see staying but I wouldn't pound the table for him.

Flip is a big name but unless Fields continues to develop quickly I think a fresh set of eyes away from everything Nagy wanted would be a better more..Castillo is an experienced dude who could work on a lot of staffs...he is the only one I could even make a really strong case for.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't rate Townsend much either...Rumph I could see staying but I wouldn't pound the table for him.

Flip is a big name but unless Fields continues to develop quickly I think a fresh set of eyes away from everything Nagy wanted would be a better more..Castillo is an experienced dude who could work on a lot of staffs...he is the only one I could even make a really strong case for.

What's your beef with Desai? 

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Desai is going to be good.

He is in his 4th game with limited talent at CB and is already showing a ton of improvement.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, malak1 said:

What's your beef with Desai? 

To many DBs seemingly not knowing who they are suppose to be covering...I can always take a guy being beaten 1on1 by a better player...guys having no idea where they are suppose to be isn't acceptable at this level...we saw it 3 times in the LA game...once again Cleveland and once against the Lions all leading to big plays...I get it's early but it's still a big worry.

• Like 1

Just now, Madmike90 said:

To many DBs seemingly not knowing who they are suppose to be covering...I can always take a guy being beaten 1on1 by a better player...guys having no idea where they are suppose to be isn't acceptable at this level...we saw it 3 times in the LA game...once again Cleveland and once against the Lions all leading to big plays...I get it's early but it's still a big worry.

Blown coverages happen. He is playing with 2/5 starting calibre DBs.

• Like 2