Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

10 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I mean...what else were they gonna say?

Kingsbury said the same thing about Rosen before they shipped him off for a 2nd round pick.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/kliff-kingsbury-sees-josh-rosen-as-someone-to-build-with

Well I'll tell you Justin Fields has looked way better than Rosen ever has. That's not even a debate.

The talent discrepancy between these two QBs isn't even close 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I mean...what else were they gonna say?

Kingsbury said the same thing about Rosen before they shipped him off for a 2nd round pick.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/kliff-kingsbury-sees-josh-rosen-as-someone-to-build-with

Of course they’re all gonna say that. Doesn’t mean that right out of the gate they don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt that there’s an actual plan. FWIW Kingsbury also had the #1 overall pick in his pocket, and Rosen was far more underwhelming as a rookie than Fields. The two situations aren’t really that similar at all. If you want to assume our situation is going to turn into a highly uncommon disaster situation like what happened with Rosen I certainly can’t stop you, but his was definitely an outlier situation, and he was terrible. After seeing him not getting a real shot anywhere else despite being a top 10 pick suggests that that the Cardinals front office was the only one who ever thought he was any good, and even they realized that error right away. Miami gave up a 2 for him and he got 3 starts then was out of the league after 2 years as a top 10 pick. That’s all-time bust territory. It’s pretty clear that’s not the case with Fields.

I think you’ve more than made your point that you hate the hire. Flus wasn’t the guy I wanted either - I was pretty clear if we went first time coach that I wanted Daboll. But it’s not like they hired like Jake the trainer from the local LA Fitness. Flus is clearly a qualified candidate who has just as many questions as the other first time candidates would have. I wanted Daboll because he could build an offensive plan around Fields that maximizes his skill set without the risk of him then getting hired away. Flus can still bring that plan with a good OC hire, and even though I’m not thrilled with the hire I don’t yet have any reason to believe he can’t bring an OC in who can still get the same things accomplished on offense. Hell, we haven’t even heard him or Poles speak yet about their plans for the Bears. 

• Like 1

DaBearsBlog

@dabearsblog

2m

Der Flus’ defense this season was 9th in points allowed, while being 25th in sacks. He’s walking into a defense with Robert Quinn and Khalil Mack. High expectations for 2022 are not unreasonable on that side of the ball.

Still an underrated point about Flus' D IMO is that he have never had elite outside rushers...Buckner is great but I think the pressure our two outside rushers can apply will bring even better results.

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

DaBearsBlog

@dabearsblog

2m

Der Flus’ defense this season was 9th in points allowed, while being 25th in sacks. He’s walking into a defense with Robert Quinn and Khalil Mack. High expectations for 2022 are not unreasonable on that side of the ball.

Still an underrated point about Flus' D IMO is that he have never had elite outside rushers...Buckner is great but I think the pressure our two outside rushers can apply will bring even better results.

I’m curious to see how a defensive-minded HC impacts our FA and draft, especially with limited draft resources. We’ve been overly committed to the defense financially for years and at minimum need to level that off a bit, but at the same time DeForest Buckner is the centerpiece on the Colts DL and is a guy they traded for to be just that. We have Mack and Quinn but not a Buckner. But, we obviously need a lot more on offense, both in terms of playmakers and bodies in general. 

26 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m curious to see how a defensive-minded HC impacts our FA and draft, especially with limited draft resources. We’ve been overly committed to the defense financially for years and at minimum need to level that off a bit, but at the same time DeForest Buckner is the centerpiece on the Colts DL and is a guy they traded for to be just that. We have Mack and Quinn but not a Buckner. But, we obviously need a lot more on offense, both in terms of playmakers and bodies in general. 

I want players with connections to this staff...

DT...Quinton Jefferson (Rod)

DE...Al-Quadin Muhammad (Flus & Borgonzi)

LB...Zaire Franklin (Flus & Borgonzi)

LB...Anthony Walker Jr (Flus & Borgonzi)

All lower value guys but guys who will understand this defence quickly...then I want us to make a big more of a splash signing in Darious Williams to play one of the key positions in this D which is nickelback...doubt LA can afford to keep him.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

DaBearsBlog

@dabearsblog

2m

Im admittedly down on Nichols but I hope he finds he is a better fit for a role as a DT here. He was a ghost for most of last year. Tonga should be solid for the NT role. (What isnit they usually call that role for a lot of 4-3 teams? UT? Im losing my damn mind. Lol)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Im admittedly down on Nichols but I hope he finds he is a better fit for a role as a DT here. He was a ghost for most of last year. Tonga should be solid for the NT role. (What isnit they usually call that role for a lot of 4-3 teams? UT? Im losing my damn mind. Lol)

I think Tonga would only play a lot of early down snaps against run heavy teams in this scheme...I think Angelo Blackson would make a great NT in this scheme...really like how he played towards the end of last season...Nichols is a more natural UT than he ever was 5 Tech.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Well I'll tell you Justin Fields has looked way better than Rosen ever has. That's not even a debate.

The talent discrepancy between these two QBs isn't even close 

I cannot believe Miami gave a second rounder for Rosen.  That was stupid.   It was stupid to draft Rosen in first place.    

I never liked him and said so pre-draft. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

But it’s not like they hired like Jake the trainer from the local LA Fitness.

At least Jake has an offensive background!!

Also the Josh Rosen outright slander in this thread is unacceptable. If he'd only landed in better situations, been stronger and faster physically,  and better at football he would have been amazing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I want us to make a big more of a splash signing in Darious Williams to play one of the key positions in this D which is nickelback

This should be a priority. Sign a veteran nickel and draft a versatile CB who can play boundary or slot.

I actually think most of the front 7 can transition naturally to Eberflus’ defense. Quinn - Nichols - Tonga - Mack across the front with Smith and Ogletree the primary LBs.

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

This should be a priority. Sign a veteran nickel and draft a versatile CB who can play boundary or slot.

I actually think most of the front 7 can transition naturally to Eberflus’ defense. Quinn - Nichols - Tonga - Mack across the front with Smith and Ogletree the primary LBs.

I don't see Tonga as a starter in this D...Blackson in there for his added pass rush...wouldn't mind Ogletree starting but he struggled when the Rams changed to this style of D...I would like to see one of the Colts/ex Colts brought in to compete with him for the start at MLB...

I would also like to add another outside CB in FA like Fabian Moreau...bigger faster style of CB than we have had at that #2 CB spot...think Johnson will be a star in this scheme.

13 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

At least Jake has an offensive background!!

Also the Josh Rosen outright slander in this thread is unacceptable. If he'd only landed in better situations, been stronger and faster physically,  and better at football he would have been amazing. 

I knew he was a bust mostly because of his resting jerk face, using phrenology and a little of Asimov's psychohistory theory.

• Like 1