Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

A new coach would be right to wonder how much security Pace has with the Bears. Would they extend his contract to coincide with the end of Fields’ rookie deal? And in that case, what’s the ETA for this team? Does Pace survive another awful season in 2022?

Keeping Pace seems like it would create a messy situation that could put off better HC candidates. So it seems likely that’s what the Bears will do.

3 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

A new coach would be right to wonder how much security Pace has with the Bears. Would they extend his contract to coincide with the end of Fields’ rookie deal? And in that case, what’s the ETA for this team? Does Pace survive another awful season in 2022?

Keeping Pace seems like it would create a messy situation that could put off better HC candidates. So it seems likely that’s what the Bears will do.

I think that if they keep Pace, they'll almost certainly extend him. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/jim-harbaugh-bonus-money-michigan-ad-staffers/1hbb0zzq7shmv1lgl0xcrt8na6

Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh has decided to give his bonus money this season back to staff members of the Michigan athletic department who suffered pay cuts during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Two ways to look at this...either he is locked in at Michigan long term and really wants to help the staff around him...or he is setting up to be remembered fondly at his alma mater after making the jump back to the NFL.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think it plays out like this

-Nagy is fired, because they simply have to feed someone to the wolves.

-They do an awkward mental gymnastics routine to keep Pace while mentioning Fields in every sentence.

-I think Pace limits the HC pool a little. I cannot see big time coaching candidates not wanting their personnel guy and Pace has baggage.

-I think we end up with an offensive coach who needs a shot. Pace knows fixing the offense is still critical. I think Greg Roman makes a ton of sense.

You don't think there's any chance they'll kick Pace up a paygrade--make him the Grand Poobah of all things Bears football?

Keep Teddy Bears around to hash out the new stadium details?

For me, this is a distinct possibility until proven otherwise...

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I think using Rodgers who has publicly came out and said he would never play in Chicago is a loaded questions...no coaching candidate has ever said that which makes it an unfair comparison...

Mike, I've been saying this looooooong before Rodgers ever said that so it's not a loaded question.  In fact it's a nearly perfect comparison.  Rodgers would never have accepted a trade to the Bears.  I doubt there are others who would have outright refused a trade to the Bears except Rodgers.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I would say that we should never cross anyone off the list before speaking to them...if Harbaugh or McDaniels came in for an interview and knocked it out the park but said they wanted their own personnel guy then ownership would be foolish to cross them off the list without serious consideration...we know ownership might not be the brightest but they are still smart enough to not just flat out say no right off the bat.

It's really not so much crossing anyone off the list as it is knowing who might even refuse an interview.  These things don't just happen like you send out on invite for a backyard BBQ. 

Someone with the Bears organization will have reached probably to that prospects agent to solicit their level of interest in being interviewed.  This is where a prospect can politely decline without anyone knowing he was even a candidate and the Bears save face by not being turned down publicly.

Have you ever been recruited for a job?

I have quite a few time and while there we some interviews I accepted there were also those I turned down.  Mostly organizations I did not want to work for for various reasons so it's not hard at all for me to imagine there are those who would refuse an interview for the Bears HC job.

I would like to think that even the Bears are intelligent enough to have set their criteria long before any interview.  Things like salary range, length of contract, what points are negotiable and what points are not.  I've never done an interview without having done that first and who am I?  I don't own a $4 billion franchise.

Let's take Jim Harbaugh as an example.

The guy can make anywhere from $4 mil to roughly $8 mil per year just from the U of M.  If his agent makes it clear his minimum expected salary is $7 mil with a 5 year contract and he wants the Bears to pay his $1.5 mil buyout and the Bears won't go that high and will only offer 4 years why interview him at all?

All I'm saying Mike is that for whatever reason there will be those who may either decline an interview or knowingly price themselves out of the market.  Do you think Brian Kelly would be interested in the Bears with LSU offering $13 mil? 

There are pro coaches in that same boat.  For instance McD makes as much as Matt Nagy so what would the Bears have to offer to coax him out of his cushy protected OC job at NE to take on a rebuild in Chicago and how much of Ryan Pace's authority over personnel would he be expected to give up?

I have no idea right now who'll interview and who won't interview all I'm saying is it's foolish to believe every prospective NFL HC in this years coaching carousel would give his first born to get the Bears HC job.  IMHO that's magical thinking.

5 hours ago, soulman said:

Mike, I've been saying this looooooong before Rodgers ever said that so it's not a loaded question.  In fact it's a nearly perfect comparison.  Rodgers would never have accepted a trade to the Bears.  I doubt there are others who would have outright refused a trade to the Bears except Rodgers.

It's really not so much crossing anyone off the list as it is knowing who might even refuse an interview.  These things don't just happen like you send out on invite for a backyard BBQ. 

Someone with the Bears organization will have reached probably to that prospects agent to solicit their level of interest in being interviewed.  This is where a prospect can politely decline without anyone knowing he was even a candidate and the Bears save face by not being turned down publicly.

Have you ever been recruited for a job?

I have quite a few time and while there we some interviews I accepted there were also those I turned down.  Mostly organizations I did not want to work for for various reasons so it's not hard at all for me to imagine there are those who would refuse an interview for the Bears HC job.

I would like to think that even the Bears are intelligent enough to have set their criteria long before any interview.  Things like salary range, length of contract, what points are negotiable and what points are not.  I've never done an interview without having done that first and who am I?  I don't own a $4 billion franchise.

Let's take Jim Harbaugh as an example.

The guy can make anywhere from $4 mil to roughly $8 mil per year just from the U of M.  If his agent makes it clear his minimum expected salary is $7 mil with a 5 year contract and he wants the Bears to pay his $1.5 mil buyout and the Bears won't go that high and will only offer 4 years why interview him at all?

All I'm saying Mike is that for whatever reason there will be those who may either decline an interview or knowingly price themselves out of the market.  Do you think Brian Kelly would be interested in the Bears with LSU offering $13 mil? 

There are pro coaches in that same boat.  For instance McD makes as much as Matt Nagy so what would the Bears have to offer to coax him out of his cushy protected OC job at NE to take on a rebuild in Chicago and how much of Ryan Pace's authority over personnel would he be expected to give up?

I have no idea right now who'll interview and who won't interview all I'm saying is it's foolish to believe every prospective NFL HC in this years coaching carousel would give his first born to get the Bears HC job.  IMHO that's magical thinking.

Again we are never going to agree on this...you don't see the value of this franchise...I do...I fully believe this will be the top opening in football this offseason and that we will be able to interview the top candidates available...you don't want to believe that then okay...but tell me what opportunity will be better?

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Again we are never going to agree on this...you don't see the value of this franchise...I do...I fully believe this will be the top opening in football this offseason and that we will be able to interview the top candidates available...you don't want to believe that then okay...but tell me what opportunity will be better?

This franchise is revered by football coaches, as cynical as I've become over the years I still know this to be true. 

Pace, for all his flaws, craves collaboration. A head coach would be getting a GM who would work to get the type of player his coaches need. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

There's a recent article on this exact topic saying how the Bears HC & GM jobs, if vacant, are expected to be the most sought after this offseason 

Here's the read: 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notebook-giants-should-be-and-can-be-all-in-on-acquiring-russell-wilson-plus-week-12-picks/?s=09

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, G08 said:

This franchise is revered by football coaches, as cynical as I've become over the years I still know this to be true. 

Pace, for all his flaws, craves collaboration. A head coach would be getting a GM who would work to get the type of player his coaches need. 

Such a cringe word now after hearing that embarssment of a season ending press conference by George and Ted last January.

I've been one of Pace's supporters throughout the years but even I've come to the realization that he probably needs to go for the betterment of this franchise.

Yes he's done some nice things throughout the years no doubt about it, and Fields may just be his best work, but the overall body of work simply hasn't been good enough.

1 PO appearance in 6, soon to be 7 seasons on the job is unacceptable and his mis-management of the salary cap and the trading away of numerous draft picks for players who no longer serve any purpose with this team is staggering.

I'm also not convinced Pace could hire the right head coach after the failed Nagy hiring 

4 hours ago, G08 said:

Pace, for all his flaws, talks about craving collaboration.

We will see how collaborative he is when blame and consequences come down for this season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G08 said:

You would also get a GM who is on his 9th life and 1 more mediocre season away from having 15k people at a Bulls game chanting for him to be fired.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You would also get a GM who is on his 9th life and 1 more mediocre season away from having 15k people at a Bulls game chanting for him to be fired.

I have to assume that keeping Pace means re-committing to him for 3-4 more seasons. Next season won’t be good, and Nagy won’t be around to scapegoat anymore.

They’ll sell it as a rebuilding effort and say it’s about stability for Justin Fields.

Go watch All or Nothing Michigan and tell me if you still really want Harbough.  

His Michigan stint has not been real impressive.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am not sure if he has developed a single good QB while there and he has been there a long while.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

His Michigan stint has not been real impressive.

He’s 61-23 at Michigan, winning about the same percentage of games as Lloyd Carr. The fans he’s disappointed are the ones who thought he’d be the next Bo.

And while he hasn’t won a title there, winning a college football national title requires more than a good coach. His teams are consistently good.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am not sure if he has developed a single good QB while there and he has been there a long while.

This is my biggest concern. And given Jim’s association with Luck and Kaep, I see 2 explanations:

1. Greg Roman is the QB guru.

2. Harbaugh can coach QBs but he’s not a a good at recruiting them.

Edited by abstract_thought