Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

You would also get a GM who is on his 9th life and 1 more mediocre season away from having 15k people at a Bulls game chanting for him to be fired.

A handful of GMs have gotten to head coach #3.

I guess I'm in no rush to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Hell, I still think if we had canned John Fox a year earlier and hired Kyle Shanahan, Mitch Trubisky would be thriving here.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

He’s 61-23 at Michigan, winning about the same percentage of games as Lloyd Carr. The fans he’s disappointed are the ones who thought he’d be the next Bo.

And while he hasn’t won a title there, winning a college football national title requires more than a good coach. His teams are consistently good.

This is my biggest concern. And given Jim’s association with Luck and Kaep, I see 2 explanations:

1. Greg Roman is the QB guru.

2. Harbaugh can coach QBs but he’s not a a good at recruiting them.

National championship standard is unfair standard.  Big 10 championships and bowl game wins at U of Michigan is not.

He has been there since 2015 (thought it was longer).  He last won a bowl game in his first year and hasn't won one since.

He has zero Big 10 championships (before this year) and he is 1-4 in bowl games and didn't even make it to bowl game last year.  TBF last year was weird covid year.

If he was coaching at U of I or Indiana or Northwestern he gets a pass.   He should have won more at Michigan.

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

Got a summary?

No.  I hardly remember it.   I just remember I didn't come away that impressed with him.   Not unimpressed, but not impressed.  

To be fair you have to read between lines a lot when watching a heavily edited show like that.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

If he was coaching at U of I or Indiana or Northwestern he gets a pass.   He should have won more at Michigan.

I'm the farthest thing from a Harbaugh fan...but I'm not sure that assessment is quite right.

He certainly should have won a bit more than he has...but college football has just got so crazy competitive. Michigan isn't the sure-fire draw for recruits that it once was. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

National championship standard is unfair standard.  Big 10 championships and bowl game wins at U of Michigan is not.

Big Ten championships is fair. I’d counter that OSU has a natural advantage and they dominate the conference.

Bowl games mean nothing IMO. They’re weird. You have lots of time off. You’re playing on a neutral field. Kids sit out to avoid injuries. That situation doesn’t happen in the NFL.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

He certainly should have won a bit more than he has...but college football has just got so crazy competitive. Michigan isn't the sure-fire draw for recruits that it once was. 

Let's not start making excuses. Michigan is still a top-15 draw in the country and Harbaugh has had plenty of 4 and 5 star recruits to develop, he just hasn't been able to. And certainly none who have translated well to the pros and those who have are not QBs or even skill players. What does this say about Harbaugh who is supposedly this "offensive genius" who rode the coattails of the defense in SF.

One of these teams have won a national title in recent years and it's not Michigan...

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/Vs5__gTSD0ytuSbvA3OabQ/college-football-programs-with-the-most-five-star-signees-over-the-past-10-years.htm

Oregon 8
California (4), Utah (1), Oregon (1), Missouri (1), Hawaii

Oklahoma 8
Texas (2), California (2), Oklahoma (1), Georgia (1), District of Columbia (1), Arizona

Michigan 8
New Jersey (2), Georgia (2), Virginia (1), Oklahoma (1), Michigan (1), Florida

And then there was the whole Solomon recruitment thing where Harbaugh and staff almost lost a 5 star prospect. Solomon is now flourishing with the Vols.

Jim Harbaugh and his staff have done everything right on the recruiting front since taking over at Michigan — everything except sending out letters to the correct recruits.

And it could cost them a four-star prospect.

With that in mind, a recent snafu has caused the U.S. Army All-American to de-commit from Michigan.

"A day or two ago, they sent my mom a card thanking us for going to the Michigan bbq, but we never went," Solomon said. "I do not know which recruit they were talking to, but it was not me. It was just a little heartbreaking, for me to supposedly be so high on their list, for them to confuse me with someone else. Plus they spelled both of my names wrong after I told them, but that was not the main issue. I guess they do not have tabs on me."

https://nypost.com/2016/08/23/michigan-recruiting-letter-finds-every-little-way-to-insult-phenom/

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Article/Four-star-Georgia-Bulldogs-DT-Aubrey-Solomon-de-commits-from-Michigan-Wolverines-after-mailing-snafu-46908544/

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Big Ten championships is fair. I’d counter that OSU has a natural advantage and they dominate the conference.

Bowl games mean nothing IMO. They’re weird. You have lots of time off. You’re playing on a neutral field. Kids sit out to avoid injuries. That situation doesn’t happen in the NFL.

I agree about bowl games.   First games and old fashion long time off bowl games produce random results. 

When you have a month to prepare for one team you can come up with a game plan that can make a game one sided.

I mean OSU has been recruiting better, that is fact, but I am not sure why they would have a natural recruiting edge over Michigan. 

I mean Ohio has better HS football, but it is not leaps and bounds better.

FL is a different story.   Really no excuse for FSU and FL to be down as long as they have been.

Same with USC, Texas and UCLA.  

I want nothing to do with this guy. Keep Harbaugh away from Fields and the offense.

https://www.maizenbrew.com/michigan-football-recruiting/2021/5/14/22434912/michigan-wolverines-football-recruiting-jim-harbaugh-era-top-recruits

Recruiting top-end talent directly correlates to winning championships in the modern era of college football. It’s not a coincidence Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma routinely lead the recruiting rankings and have then filled 20 of the 28 available College Football Playoff spots over the last seven years.

Michigan has been no slouch on the recruiting trail, however. Since Jim Harbaugh’s hiring in Dec. 2014, he has brought in seven five-stars and countless four-stars.

Final Thoughts

Overall, this is a very nice group of players as you would expect it to be at a program the caliber of Michigan. Several now play on Sundays. However, it’s hard to not sense a feeling of “what-if” as none of these players have yet to become an All-American (Michigan’s latest was Devin Bush in 2018). Here’s to hoping those currently on the roster can change the narrative and develop into a championship caliber team.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I mean OSU has been recruiting better, that is fact, but I am not sure why they would have a natural recruiting edge over Michigan. 

I mean Ohio has better HS football, but it is not leaps and bounds better.

• The number of 5* recruits from Ohio is double that of Michigan over the last decade.
  • Ohio is dominated by 1 large state school which is the only P5 school in the state. Michigan competes with MSU.
  • OSU has other potential advantages that are tougher to confirm.
Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:
  • The number of 5* recruits from Ohio is double that of Michigan over the last decade.
  • Ohio is dominated by 1 large state school which is the only P5 school in the state. Michigan competes with MSU.
  • OSU has other potential advantages that are tougher to confirm.

These rankings are pretty inexact.   I already granted that OSU has better in state recruits.

As far as other advantages, Don't they allow you to openly pay these kids now?   What happened to that?  Thought they were going to start that.

I want to see a pro style QB than can make concept reads, I don't care if he isn't talented or NFL worthy.   We should still be seeing that out of a Harbaugh coached QB and we aren't to my knowledge.

Fields could do it satisfactorily for college level and he wasn't a long stay at OSU.

Also when I watch Iowa players they are fundamentally sound even if they aren't super talented.   I don't see that with a lot of Michigan guys.

You see a lot of raw talent coming out of Michigan to pros.

On 12/1/2021 at 2:56 AM, Madmike90 said:

Again we are never going to agree on this...you don't see the value of this franchise...I do...I fully believe this will be the top opening in football this offseason and that we will be able to interview the top candidates available...you don't want to believe that then okay...but tell me what opportunity will be better?

I do see A value.  It's the $4.05 bil Forbes estimates it's worth to be. 

If you were 100% correct then what non-financial value do bottom feeders like the Bears have and wouldn't other bottom feeder teams like the NYG, the NYJ, and Jacksonville also have it?  I believe you've over estimated just how great a deal it would be to have the Bears HC job.

Better opportunities exist with teams who are in less disarray than the Bears.  I haven't looked at every potential opening but there will be a few and they will all serve as competition for the Bears in the hiring process.  Undoubtedly most any team can win the battle for the very best simply by over paying and while the Bears pay very well IMHO they won't overpay to get a HC.

By that I mean that if they're currently paying Matt Nagy $4 mil and that's a range they're comfortable with they aren't gonna pay $7-8$ mil just to outbid another team for the HC of their choice.  I'm content to see how it all works out and within another month or so we should have more information to go on.

Edited by soulman

51 minutes ago, soulman said:

I do see A value.  It's the $4.05 bil Forbes estimates it's worth to be. 

If you were 100% correct then what non-financial value do bottom feeders like the Bears have and wouldn't other bottom feeder teams like the NYG, the NYJ, and Jacksonville also have it?  I believe you've over estimated just how great a deal it would be to have the Bears HC job.

Better opportunities exist with teams who are in less disarray than the Bears.  I haven't looked at every potential opening but there will be a few and they will all serve as competition for the Bears in the hiring process.  Undoubtedly most any team can win the battle for the very best simply by over paying and while the Bears pay very well IMHO they won't overpay to get a HC.

By that I mean that if they're currently paying Matt Nagy $4 mil and that's a range they're comfortable with they aren't gonna pay $7-8$ mil just to outbid another team for the HC of their choice.  I'm content to see how it all works out and within another month or so we should have more information to go on.

And the bold sums it up...

The Bears are listed as the 7th most valuable franchise in the NFL by Forbes playing in the 3rd biggest sports market in America...that is with the smallest stadium...how much do you want to bet with a new stadium that sky rockets up to being in the top 3?...the fact their are multiple sources saying how desirable the Bears GM & HC job is viewed as goes to back up the fact we will be the #1 opening out there unless something crazy happens...the evidence is clear...no point going round in circles with you if your not willing to look at it.

46 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

And the bold sums it up...

The Bears are listed as the 7th most valuable franchise in the NFL by Forbes playing in the 3rd biggest sports market in America...that is with the smallest stadium...how much do you want to bet with a new stadium that sky rockets up to being in the top 3?...the fact their are multiple sources saying how desirable the Bears GM & HC job is viewed as goes to back up the fact we will be the #1 opening out there unless something crazy happens...the evidence is clear...no point going round in circles with you if your not willing to look at it.

And Walmart is one of the largest most profitable corporations in America.  I wouldn't work for them and I know many others who won't either.  I also refused to work for Prudential Insurance one of the largest most profitable insurers in America.

Mike, you act like I'm some young kid who hasn't followed this team for 50 plus years.  I've been looking at it for a very long time.  I didn't get off the boat yesterday.  So why is it you have this need to feel you're more correct than I am?

If that's all it is fine, you win.

5 minutes ago, soulman said:

And Walmart is one of the largest most profitable corporations in America.  I wouldn't work for them and I know many others who won't either.  I also refused to work for Prudential Insurance one of the largest most profitable insurers in America.

Mike, you act like I'm some young kid who hasn't followed this team for 50 plus years.  I've been looking at it for a very long time.  I didn't get off the boat yesterday.  So why is it you have this need to feel you're more correct than I am?

If that's all it is fine, you win.

I don't think you can compare Walmart who worldwide have 2.3 million people worldwide to 1 or the 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL...

I will give you my opinion regardless of how long you have watched football for...you can agree with it or disagree with it but the entitlement of age doesn't apply...if you feel I am correcting you then I apologise you feel that way but as I said I am simply giving you my opinion based off of the evidence out there...it's not a case of someone wins and someone loses...I enjoy the different viewpoints and can only hope ownership are have as much if not more of a conversation around what is right for the future of this franchise as we all are.