Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

24 minutes ago, soulman said:

First of all it's not my thinking it's simply fact and stated as fact.  No more, no less.  So in that regard it is relevant if only because it helps explain how we got to where we are no.

As for the rest you're preaching to the wrong choir Mike.  Don't tell me.  Tell GMcC and Teddy Bears how they need to start thinking and doing things differently.

They make the decisions and write the checks not me.  I don't disagree with you and whenever they eventually decide to do just that I'll be more than happy to acknowledge it.

It's your thinking that it has some sort of relevance when IMO it really doesn't...no one is arguing that it factually happened.

25 minutes ago, soulman said:

No more difficult to believe that it would ever be offered but you're the one who brought it up so......you got my answer.  I'm not here to play "make believe" Mike.

I have no idea what your skill set is so wouldn't know if that kind of role would be offered to you...but hey if it was you would still turn down those millions of dollars and ability to bring about change to millions of people so guess it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Few people thought Taylor or Kingsbury were ready to be an NFL coaches. They’ve both had success.

IMO there’s no formula for picking a great coach. A lot of luck is involved. A lot of great candidates turn into awful head coaches.

A lot of good coaches also get off to rotten starts or catch a bad break too early.  Some bad coaches look better getting a stacked team early.  

Like a lot of QBs don’t make it because of situation that may have.  

9 hours ago, soulman said:

What you fail to accept time after time Mike is that there may well be prospects who don't want the Bears job. 

By all accounts potential GM and Head Coach prospects are lining up and excited for the opportunity.

Might there be one or two who want nothing to do with it? Sure... but if you listen to what local beat writers are saying, this is a job that is in high demand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

It's your thinking that it has some sort of relevance when IMO it really doesn't...no one is arguing that it factually happened.

And THAT would also be your opinion Mike.  I believe others may see it differently.

Many others in fact since it's been written about and talked about many times over the years.  I'll grant you that past performance and or behaviors are no assurance of future results however to say the past is irrelevant when considering or attempting to forecast the future isn't correct either.  Of course it comes into play.

5 minutes ago, soulman said:

And THAT would also be your opinion Mike.  I believe others may see it differently.

Many others in fact since it's been written about and talked about many times over the years.  I'll grant you that past performance and or behaviors are no assurance of future results however to say the past is irrelevant when considering or attempting to forecast the future isn't correct either.  Of course it comes into play.

Of course it doesn't considering when Dave was hired in 1993 and George only became Chairman in 2011...this idea that a family just keeps doing the same thing over and over is blown out the water when you consider how good Halas was and how bad the McCaskey's seem to be...time to move on from marking time and bring this franchise into the modern day.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I have no idea what your skill set is so wouldn't know if that kind of role would be offered to you...but hey if it was you would still turn down those millions of dollars and ability to bring about change to millions of people so guess it doesn't matter.

My skill set is quite eclectic but nothing in my past would be deemed enough to qualify me to head a multi-billion dollar corporation regardless of my skills.

But on a much smaller scale I have turned down offers that were potentially quite lucrative simply because I could not picture myself representing that company and/or promoting it's products or condone it's behavior with clients.

Even though I have a full beard I still have to look at myself in the mirror each morning before I begin my day and have had to do it for well over 40 years.  It's my skin and I like to feel comfortable wearing it without guilt.

We've all done things in our lives we now regret but there were always limits to what I was willing to do in order to make a living and outright lies, misinformation, and mismanagement of my responsibilities to those I served was never one.

But as long as we're playing imaginary games I can tell you that I would not personally want the job of the Bears HC under the current regime and the way it has been run and quite frankly still is.  I believe it would limit my chances to succeed.

1 minute ago, soulman said:

My skill set is quite eclectic but nothing in my past would be deemed enough to qualify me to head a multi-billion dollar corporation regardless of my skills.

But on a much smaller scale I have turned down offers that were potentially quite lucrative simply because I could not picture myself representing that company and/or promoting it's products or condone it's behavior with clients.

Even though I have a full beard I still have to look at myself in the mirror each morning before I begin my day and have had to do it for well over 40 years.  It's my skin and I like to feel comfortable wearing it without guilt.

We've all done things in our lives we now regret but there were always limits to what I was willing to do in order to make a living and outright lies, misinformation, and mismanagement of my responsibilities to those I served was never one.

But as long as we're playing imaginary games I can tell you that I would not personally want the job of the Bears HC under the current regime and the way it has been run and quite frankly still is.  I believe it would limit my chances to succeed.

I guess that's where we differ...if I see a problem that I am qualified to fix I don't want to just want to keep my hands clean...I would rather get in there and improve a company’s practices or ethics...improve the quality of the product or the service and makes it a better company for everyone...

If I have the relevant experience to coach the Bears or any franchise I would in a heartbeat to try and change the culture and make things better...would I fail? Perhaps...but no one ever succeeded by not trying.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, G08 said:

By all accounts potential GM and Head Coach prospects are lining up and excited for the opportunity.

Might there be one or two who want nothing to do with it? Sure... but if you listen to what local beat writers are saying, this is a job that is in high demand.

If you believe all that you read that's fine.....for you.

Do you honestly believe anyone who values whatever relationship they may have with the Bears and the NFL would write a piece that didn't say that or even worse listed all the negatives about accepting either position?

Still, there have been a few that have at least taken time to pose questions about the path being followed and in the past have even gone so far as to blame a lack of success hiring the very best candidates on Teddy Bears and the McCaskeys.

You might want to ask yourself how is it we ever ended up with Phil Emery and Marc Trestman when there were very obviously better candidates for both roles out there.  And why John Fox who IMHO had already cashed in while still in Denver?

For jobs in such high demand why have we ended up with so many "second stringers" and not the All Pros.  Just askin'.

From Andrew Dannehy (@ADannehy): Ryan Day to the Bears? Other candidates who could be interested?

Andrew, I’ll start by saying I think Day will, at some point, coach in the NFL. I don’t think he’s going to be at Ohio State for 20 years. And I also think the idea of coaching Justin Fields would appeal to him, and the relationship he has with Fields alone should be enough for Chicago to take a serious look at Day. So if Matt Nagy’s out, I think a tire-kicking could happen, and I don’t know that—after the last few days—it’d be smart to rule anything out.

That said, it feels like there’s a decent chance Day will get one of these 10-year megadeals from Ohio State soon, and I do think Day will wind up being in Columbus for a while as a result. The Buckeyes are right there with Alabama and Georgia in recruiting at the highest level of college football, and he’s right there with new USC coach Lincoln Riley in his ability to attract and develop blue-chip quarterbacks and skill talent.

So the NFL eventually for Day? Yeah, I think so. And, again, I’d imagine there’d be a lure to coaching Fields again. But I think he’ll stay in Columbus a while longer, especially with some business to settle from the way the last two seasons ended there.

As for other candidates, I think Josh McDaniels is one worth keeping your eye on, someone with a high-end résumé in quarterback development, and a coach who took a very hard look at Fields predraft last year. Or maybe the McCaskey family will take a big swing at someone like Sean Payton, who worked with GM Ryan Pace in New Orleans and is from Chicago.

Edited by G08
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, soulman said:

You might want to ask yourself how is it we ever ended up with Phil Emery and Marc Trestman when there were very obviously better candidates for both roles out there.  And why John Fox who IMHO had already cashed in while still in Denver?

Because George McCaskey is an idiot.

Bruce Arians was ready for the job and was going to bring along Todd Bowles. Emery asked him to keep Marinelli, Arians rebuffed, and then Marinelli wound up quitting anyway.

John Fox, by all accounts, was a quality hire when he was brought in here. 119-89 record before joining a depeleted and dysfunctional Chicago Bears roster.

You have to remember, these are Type-A/Alpha males that believe they can turn this ship around. They also know we have one of the best fan bases in all of football; we are STILL treating the '85 Bears like they are Gods. Coaches know that if you win here, you are set for life, and you will make even more $$$ in endorsements and kush media jobs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

As for other candidates, I think Josh McDaniels is one worth keeping your eye on, someone with a high-end résumé in quarterback development, and a coach who took a very hard look at Fields predraft last year. Or maybe the McCaskey family will take a big swing at someone like Sean Payton, who worked with GM Ryan Pace in New Orleans and is from Chicago.

Sean Payton would be the dream...with what he is working with this season in terms of talent due to injures is so far away from NFL standard it is unbelievable...he is an elite HC...

Of the more realistic options McDaniels has to be #1 IMO...love what he is going with that Pats offence right now and I think he is ready to strike out on his own...give him control over the roster to seal the deal if he wants it.

Here's some perspective on McDaniels from Matt Cassel:

No. 1, he’s a great person and he relates well to players, but in terms of him as a coach, one of his biggest strengths is his ability to teach,” Cassel said. “There’s guys that can go through a play, but not really know how to detail it, teach it, and have you fully understand conceptually why you’re going a certain place with the ball. Or why you’re making this check.

He tells you the expectation of the [quarterback] room. From there, every single day he has something new and creative to keep your mind going, to keep you learning. He challenges you. By doing that, you grow so much as a player.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I put some of these quotes in my breakdown of McDaniels...the way some of these QBs speak about him you can tell he is really well regarded by these players.