Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

23 minutes ago, G08 said:

9 playoff appearances in 31 seasons man, we're already in football purgatory.

I know, that's why I said I didn't want to stay in lol

I'd rather have a top 5 pick than just miss the playoffs. We may miss the draft pick anyway but I'd rather have my chance at Jalen Ramsey than swings at projections like Floyd (overly blunt comparison I know, just making a point). Swing for the fences and either make a team with a serious chance for a run of Super Bowl appearances or just flop and start trying to acquire top shelf talent in the draft.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I know, that's why I said I didn't want to stay in lol

I'd rather have a top 5 pick than just miss the playoffs. We may miss the draft pick anyway but I'd rather have my chance at Jalen Ramsey than swings at projections like Floyd (overly blunt comparison I know, just making a point). Swing for the fences and either make a team with a serious chance for a run of Super Bowl appearances or just flop and start trying to acquire top shelf talent in the draft.

Ah my bad, glossed over it too quickly lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

Ah my bad, glossed over it too quickly lol

It's all good. Hell I got a comment about Smith confused with Quinn yesterday in the gdt. I'm sure I'll have 2-3 more errors this week alone.

"We did better than Nagy." That's the quote that we can all live by.  lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BearsFanForever said:

Not sure if this was asked, but do we not need a new General Manager before getting a new head coach?  Do we trust Pace to pick the new head coach?

I'm not totally sold Pace has the bears best interests in mind, just something that will look pretty to save his job one more day.

That's the $64,000 question right now......"Will Ryan Pace keep his job"?

I'm gonna vote yes since we've not even heard a single squeak from the rumor mill indicating the Bears were shopping for a new GM or an Exec VP to run the team who would essentially determine Pace's fate so different day same ol' ****.

Do we trust him to pick a new HC?  If he's still GM what other choice is there?  I don't think we want Teddy Bears and GMcC in charge of that do we?  Last time they stuck their noses in we got Marc Trestman and John Fox.

6 hours ago, BearsFanForever said:

Whoever we get, I'm hoping its not a new name no one heard of before and someone who has had lots of success.

We also need someone who understands the value of protecting our QB.

I doubt it will be someone we've never heard of before but IMHO we should travel down a different road than we have before.  Hiring top coordinators has really not worked out that well for us or for other teams either. 

Nagy was sold to us as that and he's been a total failure as a HC.  Vic Fangio is a tremendously successful DC who will probably be let go here in Denver.  Joe Brady just got fired and others have struggled as HC as well.

What we need to do his to hire the best coach period without a need to him to have been a top OC somewhere.  I'm actually opposed to a HC being the guy whose most involved with developing Justin Fields.  That's the job of the OC and the QB coach.  The HC job is to put players and scheme around him that works.

Edited by soulman

Justin Fields hasn't been good enough to save Pace's job. There's still a huge range of outcomes for him and not all of them are good.

And even if Fields does become a franchise QB, the performance of the rest of the roster is 100% on Pace. If he turns into a stud QB, let someone else build a quality roster around him and benefit from Pace's stroke of luck.

Edited by abstract_thought

3 hours ago, G08 said:

I have a feeling Pace isn't going anywhere, Justin Fields might have saved his job. We've realized Matt Nagy is in over his head, I'd give Pace one more stab at getting the head coach right.

Just hire Josh McDaniels and give him all the power he wants, Pace can be a de facto GM and just focus on getting the players Josh McDaniels wants.

You had me right up until that last paragraph.  All of you guys who have stars in your eyes over McD should buy some eye wash.....JMHO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

If you do keep Pace you should extend him.   A lame duck GM with a new coach is almost as stupid as a lame duck coach with a rookie QB.

I don't think they should keep him mind you.

What makes you think they haven't already done that or at least begun negotiations on an extension.  Even the Bears would seem to be smarter than keeping Pace on to hire a new HC and then firing him after the 2022 season.

My guess is this last draft gave Pace the tailwind he needed.  Fields shows all of the potential to be an exceptional NFL QB.  It took a ballsy trade with a team not known for trading to get the job done and that will have score points.

Borom appears to be a kid who can lock up one OT spot and if Jenkins can wrap up the other then along with Herbert this may well have been Pace's best draft ever.  Three starting roles filled plus an NFL caliber RB in the 6th round.

Bringing in Jason Peters was also a good move.  Without him OT would have been an even bigger disaster.  Kmet is showing signs of becoming a decent TE and Jaylon Johnson has become a very good NFL CB.  That two from 2020.

Then you have Mooney and Monty and an All Pro ILB from previous drafts and a few others who look to have starting potential.  So his drafting hasn't exactly sucked despite a few misses.  EJax, Monty, and Mooney made up for those.

I still have my own issues with some of Paces decision regarding FA and with some of the contracts he's handed out but as far as younger players go I want to see what another HC and staff can do with some of these guys.

I don't believe we can ding Pace too badly for players Nagy isn't getting production out of.  You could probably give him Rodgers and the GB offense and he'd still be a .500 HC at best.  His schemes just flat out don't work.

20 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Justin Fields hasn't been good enough to save Pace's job. There's still a huge range of outcomes for him and not all of them are good.

And even if Fields does become a franchise QB, the performance of the rest of the roster is 100% on Pace. If he turns into a stud QB, let someone else build a quality roster around him and benefit from Pace's stroke of luck.

I gotta disagree with you here.

Pace has gotten players Nagy has asked for.  What has Nagy done to get consistent production from them?  Let's take Damiere Byrd as an example.

Nagy wanted more speed.  In 11 games with AZ in 2019 Byrd had 32 receptions for 359 yards/11.2 ypc/1 TD. Last year with NE in 14 games he had 47 reception for 604 yards/12.9 ypc/1 TD.  How 'bout 2021?  12 receptions for 110 yards/9.2 ypc/0 TDs and his longest reception is 19 yards vs 42 yds and 58 yds in 2020 and 2019.  Nagy wanted speed but hasn't used it effectively has he?

I think there are other examples as well.

Over four seasons Pace has supplied some players Nagy has wanted either by drafting them or signing FA yet over at least the last three seasons including this one we still have one of the lowest ranked offenses in the NFL and it can't just be a lack of a good QB.  Nagy has had 5 different QBs and still failed to produce.  I can't honestly blame Pace for all of that an no one else should either.....JMHO.

I think at this point we just need to clean house top to bottom to create a new identity...we have some really nice guys running this team...I don't think I have ever heard anyone say a bad word about Pace or Nagy but it's not winning us games...I would rather rub people up the wrong way if it means winning than just being an also ran with a front office and coaching staff "who are respected around the league" that means nothing...given me the guys who are feared around the league...

In terms of if Pace does stay you are not getting a guy like McDaniels, Daboll or Harbaugh...all these guys are going to have the power to bring their own people in...you might get Moore but only because he doesn't really know a ton of front office guys and even at that it would be a bad move for Moore because if there isn't instant success Pace is under pressure and by default so is he...

I would probably value getting a top coaching candidate who could be given control of the roster with his own guy in the front office than a top GM candidate who would then be brining in a lesser coach.

• Like 1

Not much sense in wishin' and hopin' for a house cleaning that doesn't look to me like it's gonna happen but I'm willing to wait it out and see which way the wind blows.

Only after we see what's happening up top will we have a better idea of who our top prospects for HC may be.  If Pace stays then it's gotta be a guy Pace selects whom he can work with.

To believe that somehow Pace is gonna give up his primary role as the personnel guy is a dream.  He's not gonna do that therefore any HC prospect who wants too much control over player personnel will more than likely not be seen as a fit.

I'm not insisting that's the way it should be done only that it's more than likely the way it will be done.  If there was any hope the Bears would clean house and hire that Exec VP they badly need I believe we would heard some rumors of it by now.

The NE vs. BUF game is going to be a really good indicator of these offensive coordinators handle on situational football...weather conditions are terrible for offensive football...the punting is fun to watch though haha…

McDaniels is against the wind first…2x 3&Out with 6x runs…hoping he understands this is the best time to run the ball in order to set up play action in the 2nd quarter when the with is with him…Daboll needs to try and take advantage early.

• Like 1

If McDaniels is the next head coach then James Daniels has a future here and we need to resign him...this Patriot blocking scheme calls for a ton of pin and pull from the guards and as much as I still don't see a power player in Daniels his movement skills would be a really good fit upfront in the run game.

Not exactly a showcase game for either OCs. McDaneils overly conservative play-calling almost cost them the game (thanks to Knox dropping several passes). The Bills run game wasn't working and Daboll never called a single designed run for Allen or even a RPO in the redzone (which he got simply out-coached).

I get the appeal but I still don't see the hype with either of them. 

28 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Not exactly a showcase game for either OCs. McDaneils overly conservative play-calling almost cost them the game (thanks to Knox dropping several passes). The Bills run game wasn't working and Daboll never called a single designed run for Allen or even a RPO in the redzone (which he got simply out-coached).

I get the appeal but I still don't see the hype with either of them. 

NE & BUF both have really good defenses so it was kind of expected that the game would go like this for the offenses especially when you factor in the extreme winds that were going on in that stadium tonight.

I thought the NE gameplan on O was brilliant. Just shows that McDaniels  is adept at realizing how to call a game given the circumstances at play and he also knows how to exploit a weakness when he sees it.

I was not impressed with Bills O at all. Looked like they lacked structure and Allen was confused, rushed and forcing balls all night, but a Belichick coached D can do that to you.

I keep thinking about it and I just think McDaniels would be a great choice for Bears HC though I'm not exactly confident in the McCaskey's catching a big fish like him.

• Like 1