Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

NE & BUF both have really good defenses so it was kind of expected that the game would go like this for the offenses especially when you factor in the extreme winds that were going on in that stadium tonight.

I thought the NE gameplan on O was brilliant. Just shows that McDaniels  is adept at realizing how to call a game given the circumstances at play and he also knows how to exploit a weakness when he sees it.

I was not impressed with Bills O at all. Looked like they lacked structure and Allen was confused, rushed and forcing balls all night, but a Belichick coached D can do that to you.

I keep thinking about it and I just think McDaniels would be a great choice for Bears HC though I'm not exactly confident in the McCaskey's catching a big fish like him.

Yeah I would agree on all points...I don't feel the game plan was conservative at all...McDaniels called a game against the conditions as much as the Bills' D...even Allen was struggling to throw the ball with the wind so Mac was never going to be able to cut through it given his limited arm in comparison...I just love the fact the Pats never feel they need to do anything but what they want to do...most teams would be out there thinking we need to get some kind of passing attack going because that balance is the conventional thing to do...McDaniels clearly doesn't care about that and only wants to win however possible...

I think we can land McDaniels...just need to offer him control over personnel as well as his own people and I think we have the market to snag him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

You-Serious.gif

Heinz, the guy was an All Pro FS under Fangio whose role has been completely changed so he's no longer being used the same way.  He's never been a "banger" at Safety even in college so expecting him to play like one is like wishing Monty could play LT.

The reason they've changed his role and as often as not had Gipson playing as the FS is because Eddie is more versatile.  Am I satisfied with his open field tackling?  No  But then why are we putting him in a position where he's called upon to do it more often.

Once again the Bears keep trying to pound square pegs into round holes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think we can land McDaniels...just need to offer him control over personnel as well as his own people and I think we have the market to snag him.

I think we can as well. Pace doesn't come off as an 'alpha male' type, I don't see him having an ego and refusing to give up any personnel control. He's all about collaboration, right?

Well, defer to the guy with 16 years in the league 6 Super Bowl rings. He just might know a thing or ten more than our franchise knows.

If we whiff on him, it likely means Fields was a bust and we can detonate the whole ******* thing.

33 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think we can as well. Pace doesn't come off as an 'alpha male' type, I don't see him having an ego and refusing to give up any personnel control. He's all about collaboration, right?

I have serious doubts Ryan Pace will just stand up and let McD sit in his chair pulling the levers on personnel matters.  McD isn't really the collaborative type or at least not when he was here in Denver and I really do doubt that will happen once he has his own team again.  Remember, he's Billy B's prodigal son back as his OC again.

Think about it this way.

Do you recall that scene in Lord of the Rings where Saruman asks Gandalf to join with him in appeasing Sauron so they can share power?  And Gandalf responds that Sauron shares power with no one?  Think of that when you wish for McD.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, soulman said:

I have serious doubts Ryan Pace will just stand up and let McD sit in his chair pulling the levers on personnel matters.  McD isn't really the collaborative type or at least not when he was here in Denver and I really do doubt that will happen once he has his own team again.  Remember, he's Billy B's prodigal son back as his OC again.

Think about it this way.

Do you recall that scene in Lord of the Rings where Saruman asks Gandalf to join with him in appeasing Sauron so they can share power?  And Gandalf responds that Sauron shares power with no one?  Think of that when you wish for McD.

Agreed.   McDaniels is not coming here to work under Pace, so if you have the choice of hiring McDaniels but at the cost of firing Pace then it's a no brainer.

Personally I don't think Pace should be back in any case.  I've soured on him quite a bit this past month or so.

Seems like a great guy and he has done some nice things as GM but simply put it hasn't been good enough.  He whiffed on two of the biggest moves in both Trubisky and Nagy, and while Fields looks like he has potential to be really good, the jury is still out and he mortgaged a lot to grab Fields in order to try and make up for past mistakes.

I think Bears need to go hard after the coach they want first and not the GM, and then let the rest fall into place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Well, defer to the guy with 16 years in the league 6 Super Bowl rings. He just might know a thing or ten more than our franchise knows.

If we whiff on him, it likely means Fields was a bust and we can detonate the whole ******* thing.

Pace needs to go bro. Just let it go.

I was once like you in thinking that he should stay but the results speak for themselves.  He's simply average and has no playoff success to show for any of the past 7 years.

That's unacceptable.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Agreed.   McDaniels is not coming here to work under Pace, so if you have the choice of hiring McDaniels but at the cost of firing Pace then it's a no brainer.

IF and I believe it's a big if, McD was hired as the Bears HC IMHO he may act collaborative at first but my guess is his true intention will be to undermine Pace and take his place as far as personnel decisions are concerned.  That's the Josh McDaniels I know.

If Pace's contract has not been extended beyond 2022 there's a good chance McD will do whatever he can to see that Pace is gone after 2022 and he takes over some of the GM duties as it relates to player personnel even though it will have been Pace who hired him.

If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it but IMHO McD would not be coming here to work under Ryan Pace for very long at all.

16 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Personally I don't think Pace should be back in any case.  I've soured on him quite a bit this past month or so.

Whether or not he should there's likely to be better odds that he will than odds that he won't.  Firing Pace and Nagy would leave Teddy Bears and GMcC somewhat desperate again to hire a new GM who would then hire a new HC.

We have heard rumors that GMcC has pulled the trigger on a coaching search but we've heard zip about a new GM or an Exec VP to run football ops as Jim Finks once was in the Halas era.  I gotta believe Pace is safe for now.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

To land any of the top guys we need to get rid of Pace...no top guy is coming here to work under someone who is another bad season away from being fired.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

To land any of the top guys we need to get rid of Pace...no top guy is coming here to work under someone who is another bad season away from being fired.

Unless they have a handshake deal with Ted that they get to pick the next GM when he is fired, like how Emery was going to get to five Lovie after one year or Pace was going to get to toss Fox when he did his part.

And honestly I'm at the point I'd take that deal too. Ted would somehow blunder it by March though.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Pace needs to go bro. Just let it go.

I was once like you in thinking that he should stay but the results speak for themselves.  He's simply average and has no playoff success to show for any of the past 7 years.

That's unacceptable.

It's not about letting it go, it's about cutting off our nose to spite our face.

I have zero faith in our ownership finding someone to be "as good" as Pace, let alone better. You know what I mean?

1 hour ago, G08 said:

It's not about letting it go, it's about cutting off our nose to spite our face.

I have zero faith in our ownership finding someone to be "as good" as Pace, let alone better. You know what I mean?

I don't either but that doesn't mean they shouldn't at least try to find better replacements. That thinking of status quo is why this team is constantly stuck in mediocrity.

If they truly have a desire to be great then they need to take big swings at highly respected football people and not these no name executives/coaches that come out of left field that are nice guys and are highly collaborative with great culture.

We need smart strong and tough football people in the building. No more of this  nonsense

Edited by topwop1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Interesting that twice this year Sean McDermott has publically criticised Brian Daboll and the Bills offence...as much as last night wasn't great the conditions didn't help...

Lets shoot for the moon...McDaniels as HC with Daboll as his OC 😂 

What did he say?

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I don't either but that doesn't mean they shouldn't at least try to find better replacements. That thinking of status quo is why this team is constantly stuck in mediocrity.

Jason Licht was given swing number 3 on his head coach, and he's got a Super Bowl trophy to show for it.

27-53 record before Arians came along... just sayin'

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

What did he say?

"I don't think, honestly, we took advantage of opportunities tonight, I really don't," McDermott told reporters after the game. "We were one for four in the red zone. We have to figure that part of it out."

McDermott said much the same after the Jags game...basically seems unless the Bills score at least 24 points he is unhappy with the offence...high standards considering his D gave up over 220 yards on the ground 😂...if he is unhappy with what that offence is doing I would happily take him.