Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Blown coverages happen. He is playing with 2/5 starting calibre DBs.

They don't happen as often as they have been with a well coached group...it's becoming more telling than Fangio didn't take him with him when Desai himself thought he would...this defence is living off of big plays made by talented individuals but once those dry up and history shows they will we will get beaten pretty badly if things don't improve.

I don't know who I would pound the table for but I won't pound the table to get rid of them either.

Nagy has been a negative factor for the entire offensive staff. Furrey can't showcase development while his WRs run 6 yard curls. Castillo looks incompetent during games like CLE though I would wager he would not want to zero protect or put either OT on an island with Garrett. Barone has only Kmet and the TEs rarely get used, etc. The dink and dunk offense he runs with Dalton won't help showcase the players' talents or the coaches work, sadly.

I will say our passrush has had a major boost and Desai's system seems to be settling in. The confusion in week one shouldn't be held against him any more than the CLE game vs Fields. Plus he is working with a lackluster CB corps, so its had to blame him for a few broken coverages a game when it seems obvious that one person like Bush missed the call on the field. The talent just isn't up to snuff to work with. Only 1/4 (of actually slightly less) of the season has passed. That being said, he needs to continue with the passrush and the backend needs to improve over the season. There is not a lot of talent, but there is still a crew of people who are professionals and drawing paychecks. Getting beat because of talent is one thing, but breaking coverage repeatedly isn't excusable. Desai so far has been a positive to me though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I don't know who I would pound the table for but I won't pound the table to get rid of them either.

Nagy has been a negative factor for the entire offensive staff. Furrey can't showcase development while his WRs run 6 yard curls. Castillo looks incompetent during games like CLE though I would wager he would not want to zero protect or put either OT on an island with Garrett. Barone has only Kmet and the TEs rarely get used, etc. The dink and dunk offense he runs with Dalton won't help showcase the players' talents or the coaches work, sadly.

I will say our passrush has had a major boost and Desai's system seems to be settling in. The confusion in week one shouldn't be held against him any more than the CLE game vs Fields. Plus he is working with a lackluster CB corps, so its had to blame him for a few broken coverages a game when it seems obvious that one person like Bush missed the call on the field. The talent just isn't up to snuff to work with. Only 1/4 (of actually slightly less) of the season has passed. That being said, he needs to continue with the passrush and the backend needs to improve over the season. There is not a lot of talent, but there is still a crew of people who are professionals and drawing paychecks. Getting beat because of talent is one thing, but breaking coverage repeatedly isn't excusable. Desai so far has been a positive to me though.

In terms of the overall defence we have a ton of talent...yes the guys on the back end are the weakest part and I would agree that being the player to break coverage repeatedly isn't an excuse but IMO I don't remember seeing anything like as many coverage breakdown as under Fangio or even Pagano where at times due to injury we had similar calibre players out there...I think Desai as a coach is really interesting and holds a lot of value but I worry that the DC role is just too much for him...I hope he improves over the next few weeks and puts it to bed but the more blown coverages we give up the more questions will have to be asked.

• Like 1

So I have just finished watching the Seahawks game and Buck & Aikman made some interesting points about their offence that got me digging...

19th in Total Yard per Game - 351ypg

16th in Passing Yards per Game - 247ypg

18th in Rushing Yards per Game - 104ypg

14th in Points per Game - 24ppg

Hardly the stats of an offence teams would be crying out for but let's look at the numbers behind the number...

32nd in Total Defence - 450.8ypg

32nd in Time of Possession - 25:03mpg

32nd in Total Offensive Plays Ran - 54.2oppg

The Seahawks offence just aren't getting the ball enough to produce better offensive numbers...let's look at what they are doing when they have the ball though...

5th Overall in Yards per Play - 6.5ypp

2nd Overall in Yards per Passing Attempt - 9.3ypp

5th Overall in Passing Completion Percentage - 70.42%

7th Overall in Yards per Rushing Attempt - 4.5ypc

5th in Total Offensive Penalties - 5.8 per game.

Clearly if these guys had the ball more and their defence wasn't giving up so many yards they would rocket up the rankings that most people focus on...

Another thing that was brought up by Aikman was the change in the way a "WCO" offensive line has changed...this isn't the old Denver OL under Alex Gibbs where everyone weighed under 300lbs...in terms of average weight the Seahawks OL are 4th in the NFL...they are huge and yet are still able to run that outside zone effectively as well as the added element Waldron has brought in with the Jet Sweep motion which is so important to this offence.

A really interesting thing about this game was how rare it was in a live game to get such a comparison between a superstar QB and an average backup against the exact same defence using the exact same gameplan...

Wilson - 11/16 - 152 yards - 1TD - 1INT

Smith - 10/17 - 131 yards - 1TD - 1INT

What this tells me is this offence is easy for a QB to run...some offences require a ton from the QB and that is usually where you see young guys especially fail...here we see that the offence is designed to give the QB easier throws to make because it is so focused on levels...this kind of offence really would be perfect for Fields both in the short and long term.

Finally I love how much or talent matched up with the Seahawks in terms of skill set...

QB - Wilson - Fields

RB - Carson - Monty

TE - Dissly - Kmet

WR - Metcalf - Robinson (if resigned)

WR - Lockett - Mooney

Our OL is very comparable as well in terms of size, athleticism and skill set...I would argue ours is actually better...what we would need longer term is a better "F" TE and someone to run the "Jet" WR but the key pieces are here to run that offence effectively.

As much as Daboll is still my favorite for the job I think Waldron is doing an outstanding job even if it isn't obvious looking at the box score and would make an excellent candidate for our talent.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 9:39 AM, Madmike90 said:

The more research I do into these HC candidates the more I worry about how some of these young guys are going to put together a quality staff...some of them just haven't had the time around the league to seemingly form relationships with really high quality coaches...now of course we don't know who these guys know like McVay getting Wade Phillips...Shanahan getting lucky with Saleh...Kingsbury managed to get Joseph after he was done as a HC seeming out of no where as well...only two I see who should be locked in for staffs are Daboll & Waldron...McDaniels had a quality staff in Denver but that was 10+ years ago and I don't know how many would want to put themselves back in that position...especially after what he did to Indy.

Good point.  When you tear down a coaching staff you go through a process of rebuilding it as well just as Nagy has done.

We were very fortunate to be able to retain Vic Fangio and Ed Donatell and several other top defensive assistants who stuck because we were able to keep Fangio.  Once he was gone most departed and we've had to rebuild our defensive staff too.  There are always gonna be risks involved with firing a HC and hiring a new one.

On 10/4/2021 at 11:14 AM, Madmike90 said:

To many DBs seemingly not knowing who they are suppose to be covering...I can always take a guy being beaten 1on1 by a better player...guys having no idea where they are suppose to be isn't acceptable at this level...we saw it 3 times in the LA game...once again Cleveland and once against the Lions all leading to big plays...I get it's early but it's still a big worry.

Most of the coverage issues in these last two games have come from having Gipson sidelined and Bush taking his place and he's always been somewhat of a liability in coverage.  I would prefer they use DH-C as a SS and let EJax play the back end but I'm not coaching the DBs.

You also have deal with two CBs in their second seasons who are very inexperienced so it's tough to compare what we have now vs what we had with Amukamara and Fuller at CB.  Once Gipson returns I expect things on the back end will improve.

Russell Wilson to miss up to 6 weeks...knowing Wilson that is probably more like 4 but if the Seattle offence continues to be nearly as efficient under Geno Smith then Shane Waldron's stock massively goes up because the question of how much is it just Wilson becomes less and less of a factor.

As much as it is ages away the whole thing with Gruden & Meyer got me thinking about how many openings there will be this offseason and I don't think there will be anything like the 6 or 7 we normally see...

Raiders - Obviously

Jags - More than like given Meyer's actions and what he is getting out the team...they scare me for Daboll...Lawrence plus all that cap space and in a weak division could be a quick turn around.

After that a lot of the worst teams have just made changes...Det, Hou, NYJ all have new head coaches...Mia & Ind have had recent success that probably saves them...

The only other obvious one for me are the Giants..

After that I don't see who else will be out which means we could have our pick of the top guys if we move this offseason.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

As much as it is ages away the whole thing with Gruden & Meyer got me thinking about how many openings there will be this offseason and I don't think there will be anything like the 6 or 7 we normally see...

Raiders - Obviously

Jags - More than like given Meyer's actions and what he is getting out the team...they scare me for Daboll...Lawrence plus all that cap space and in a weak division could be a quick turn around.

After that a lot of the worst teams have just made changes...Det, Hou, NYJ all have new head coaches...Mia & Ind have had recent success that probably saves them...

After that I don't see who else will be out which means we could have our pick of the top guys if we move this offseason.

Which just makes it that much more damning to know that Nagy likely finds a way to hold on. 

16 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Raiders - Obviously

Denver could absolutely make a move depending on how their season finishes.

if the cards fall off a Kilff the rest of the season, they could as well.

if TB wins again, does Bruce retire as a back to back champ, or keep it going? c

ould see something with vrabel as a bizarro bears - defensive coach with a bad defense, what does he actually do here?

does anyone think david culley is a real person - he could steve wilks this and last only 1 season.

zac taylor MAYBE in cincy.

if the vikings end up .500 or worse, it could be time to put zimmer out to pasture. 

lots of possibilities, a little bit too early to tell, but there are always unexpected firings - lovie after ANOTHER 10-6 season, dougie P less than 2 years after a super bowl, steve wilks 1 year wonder, etc...

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

Denver could absolutely make a move depending on how their season finishes.

if the cards fall off a Kilff the rest of the season, they could as well.

if TB wins again, does Bruce retire as a back to back champ, or keep it going? c

ould see something with vrabel as a bizarro bears - defensive coach with a bad defense, what does he actually do here?

does anyone think david culley is a real person - he could steve wilks this and last only 1 season.

zac taylor MAYBE in cincy.

if the vikings end up .500 or worse, it could be time to put zimmer out to pasture. 

lots of possibilities, a little bit too early to tell, but there are always unexpected firings - lovie after ANOTHER 10-6 season, dougie P less than 2 years after a super bowl, steve wilks 1 year wonder, etc...

I think Vic is actually doing a good job with Denver...give them a proper QB and they are one of the better teams out there...

No way I see Arizona parting ways with Kliff after this year...Murray has developed way too much for that...

Bruce could retire but I think he would push hard for Leftwich to get that role...he was pretty upset no one interviewed him this offseason...

Not sure anyone wants that Houston job much like this season...

Taylor again is much like Kliff...QB is being so good teams will hold on yo these guys...

Zimmer is the only other one who could go. 

• Like 1

If Nagy and Pace really lean into this identity that they have found... I think it is more likely they are extended at the end of the season then fired.

Nagy not calling plays has allowed him not to be a problem and to focus on coaching and it has also let Pace's talent acquisition breath a little.

I was rethinking where could be a coaching opening and one guy who might be a surprise but maybe shouldn't be is Kyle Shanahan...I love his offence...I think he is a really good coach...but the guy is 31-38 four full seasons only has one winning year...granted he went to a Superbowl that year but if the 9ers finish last in the toughest division in football this season it means they have never finished above 3rd apart from that one quality season...

If they do move on is he then the leading candidate for the job here? Or do people think dude has just lost it?

Firing Shanahan would be really shocking.  Think back to the carnival that 49ers coaching has been in between him and Jim Harbaugh, can't imagine there is much appetite for trying again. Plus if you want to make an excuse they've had injury luck that's about as bad as it gets.  I don't know much about SF ownership, but if it's anything close to the McCaskeys they're probably still thrilled about that Super Bowl and just relieved it's not a Mike Tomsula situation.