Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think Harbaugh will be the guy (although I wouldn't be totally against it) or indeed any college coach however it does bring up the question of when could you interview college guys?

I'm sure you can start interviewing them from between when their season ends and their bowl games.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CBears019 said:

Fair enough.  I guess we gotta keep in perspective all we have now is one non-sports reporter claiming an anonymous source told him this.  Far from concrete info right now.

Though, the evasive answers by Tabor don’t exactly dispel this rumor either.

I am about 90%/10% that he won't be fired come Friday but the fact there is even this type of thing coming out and like you said everyone is being evasive about it says he is gone sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

I didn't know this but apparently with that new interview rule teams don't have to actually fire their head coach before the season ends to be able to start interviewing candidates early.

All they have to do is tell their incumbent HC that he won't be returning with the team following the end of the season.

It's a bit awkward of a situation to do this, however it's not like it hasn't happened before.

For example, when Jim Harbaugh was let go in SF he was told a few weeks before the end of the season it would be happening but both he and the team agreed to finish the season with him coaching the team.

So people can relax in knowing that even if Nagy survives til the end of this season, it won't prevent the team from getting a jump on the interviewing process if their intention is to fire him.

14 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I didn't know this but apparently with that new interview rule teams don't have to actually fire their head coach before the season ends to be able to start interviewing candidates early.

All they have to do is tell their incumbent HC that he won't be returning with the team following the end of the season.

It's a bit awkward of a situation to do this, however it's not like it hasn't happened before.

For example, when Jim Harbaugh was let go in SF he was told a few weeks before the end of the season it would be happening but both he and the team agreed to finish the season with him coaching the team.

So people can relax in knowing that even if Nagy survives til the end of this season, it won't prevent the team from getting a jump on the interviewing process if their intention is to fire him.

Correct. The issue here is: who's doing these interviews? If it's Pace, that essentially means he's back for 2022.

• Like 1

I'd like to toss one more thought, or call it an opinion if you like, in here.

Why should it be a HC responsibility to develop his QB anymore than it is to assist in the development of every younger player on his team?  If that's the primary function of a HC why have and OC and a QB coach and who coaches the entire team in general?

Does it dawn on anyone that this may have been a huge part of Nagy's problem?  He seldom if ever has coached his entire team and as for developing QBs he's proven that he's not been all that adept at even that or at least not as far as Mitch and Justin Fields are concerned.

John Harbaugh was a STC.  What experience does he have developing QB talent?  Bill Belichick was a DC.  What kind of expertise in developing QBs did he bring with him.  The same with Pete Carroll in Seattle.  How about other defensive minded HC who've had great QBs?

So tell me.  Why are we so fixated on a need to hire some hot OC so he can develop Fields.  Nagy was a hot OC.  How'd that work out?  Why not just hire a good leader whose able to hold his entire team accountable for success including his coaching staff and coordinators.

IME when you hire good people you get good results.  They don't need to be an expert on any one thing.  In fact it's better if they're not.  You want people who are more open minded and adaptable than Matt Nagy has ever been able to be as the Bears HC.

Good managers know their limitations and aren't unwilling to partner with others who can help them to become more successful for everyone's benefit.  Why isn't that kind of guy at the top of our list. The NFL changes constantly as teams tend to copy other teams successes.

Don't you want someone who can adapt and change with it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soulman said:

I'd like to toss one more thought, or call it an opinion if you like, in here.

Why should it be a HC responsibility to develop his QB anymore than it is to assist in the development of every younger player on his team?  If that's the primary function of a HC why have and OC and a QB coach and who coaches the entire team in general?

Does it dawn on anyone that this may have been a huge part of Nagy's problem?  He seldom if ever has coached his entire team and as for developing QBs he's proven that he's not been all that adept at even that or at least not as far as Mitch and Justin Fields are concerned.

John Harbaugh was a STC.  What experience does he have developing QB talent?  Bill Belichick was a DC.  What kind of expertise in developing QBs did he bring with him.  The same with Pete Carroll in Seattle.  How about other defensive minded HC who've had great QBs?

So tell me.  Why are we so fixated on a need to hire some hot OC so he can develop Fields.  Nagy was a hot OC.  How'd that work out?  Why not just hire a good leader whose able to hold his entire team accountable for success including his coaching staff and coordinators.

IME when you hire good people you get good results.  They don't need to be an expert on any one thing.  In fact it's better if they're not.  You want people who are more open minded and adaptable than Matt Nagy has ever been able to be as the Bears HC.

Good managers know their limitations and aren't unwilling to partner with others who can help them to become more successful for everyone's benefit.  Why isn't that kind of guy at the top of our list. The NFL changes constantly as teams tend to copy other teams successes.

Don't you want someone who can adapt and change with it?

I get what youre saying. 

Defensive coaches haven't worked out for us either. Ditka was a special teams coach but the QB was still by far the weak link of the team. Really you want the HC to be able to specialize in something, and that should be something the team consistently does REALLY well. 

Lovie was damn good as a DC and the defense was the strength of the team for almost his entire tenure. Still had little success overall. Nagy being incompetent shouldn't force your hand in the next coach. 

HCs should be involved in all aspects but their specialty is usually on one area. Any medical school graduate has a base knowledge that applies to all fields, but their specialty decides who you go to for a specific problem. We have lacked competency across the board for a while. Staley was a missed opportunity but other than that who has been a significantly good coach. 

Nagy was never a real OC, he was hired because he fetched Reids coffee for years and was supposed to know the system Reid runs.  Bill is a top defensive mond but Patricia was a bust too. It happens more often than not. 

Im of the opinion that Jackson will have some refrain when Roman gets his promotion. Mahomes likely wont get a real regression for any reason other than age or his contract simply limiting talent because he will be hand in hand with Reid. 

That is something I completely agree with, but it is hard to know how good they are at delegating when they are usually the ones having tasks delegates to them before they get hired. Trestman had a long list of practices, drills, etc and HC experience when he interviewed for the role. Fox was a defensive guy known for attracting great coordinators and so on. Each person is completely independent of one another so its a pain. We damn well might witness yet another screw up at the pick. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Correct. The issue here is: who's doing these interviews? If it's Pace, that essentially means he's back for 2022.

Fair point. I guess we'll just have to see.

A fresh start at all positions would be nice but it's hard to believe that will happen

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would make big offers to proven offensive coaches that have built college programs and been successful

Matt Campbell

Lincoln Riley

Ryan Day

The more I look at the situation of this franchise the more I hate the risk of taking a guy from the college game who doesn't have NFL experience as a head coach...ownership seem to be at it worst right now and I wonder if an inexperienced coach would just be eaten up and spat out by it...

Only college guy I trust right now to come into this mess would be Jim Harbaugh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I would make big offers to proven offensive coaches that have built college programs and been successful

Matt Campbell

Lincoln Riley

Ryan Day

Lincoln Riley is really interesting.   I could get on board with that.   

Problem is media has a narrative that college coaches fail in NFL without a transition and they try to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy as best they can.

You know who I would love to see for entertainment?  Mike Leach.   Never happen in a million years, but that is almost guaranteed to flame out in a spectacular way.

Thing I like about Leach is he has been only innovator in game in last 30 years or so.   He isn't afraid to try new things and just see if they work, which is only way to do it really.   But it has a high rate of failure.