Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

Just now, JAF-N72EX said:

Between the HC getting fire, their former #1 pick getting cut, and the Ruggs debacle....LV has had too many distractions this year.

I think the Raiders have done pretty well all things considered...always liked Carr...always really liked Greg Olson as an OC...think he is very underrated...ironically enough I think if he got let go in LV he could become Moore's OC wherever he ends up due to their connection to Scott Linehan.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Adults generally don't outgrow being crazy and difficult to get along with.

This isn't really true though. McDaniels was 33 when he got the Denver job. He’s 45 now. That’s an eternity. I’m almost 40 and I can assure you that my demeanor and the way I interact with people now is far different than it was in my late 20s, as is that with pretty much everyone I interact with regularly.

I’ll grant you the Indy stuff a few years ago, but people change, especially when they’re humbled in the way McDaniels was as a HC in Denver. I don’t believe we ever got the full story on why McD backed out on Indy, but you could look at him doing so before he was stuck somewhere he realized he didn’t want to be as a sign of maturity too. We just don’t know. Did McDaniels actually change after the Denver stuff? I don’t know, but I wouldn’t just dismiss the possibility. I don’t think he’s the guy this Bears FO would choose either way, but I do think he’ll get another chance to be HC if he wants it and I also think he’ll be successful when he gets it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think the Raiders have done pretty well all things considered...always liked Carr...always really liked Greg Olson as an OC...think he is very underrated...ironically enough I think if he got let go in LV he could become Moore's OC wherever he ends up due to their connection to Scott Linehan.

Yup. I said the same thing a few weeks ago. Most teams would've crumbled and I don't who is more responsible for keeping that team together but they deserve a raise and a promotion.

I also never got the hate Carr gets either. I remember when the rumors were floating around about him being on the trade block or released (I dont remember), and the Bears were mentioned as a possible destination, along with other QBs, he was the only one I was interested in even hearing it out. I've always compared him to Matt Ryan. he's certainly not the most athletic but he makes up for it with being a good locker room guy with football smarts, easy to work with by all accounts (look at his history), a good arm at every range, solid accuracy across the board, etc.  Is he inconsistent? Yes. Will he ever be a top-5 QB? Maybe not, but I do think that's his ceiling tho.

Moore and Olsen's Linehan connection is a good thought too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t think he’s the guy this Bears FO would choose either way, but I do think he’ll get another chance to be HC if he wants it and I also think he’ll be successful when he gets it. 

I'd agree on both scores.  If Pace is still gonna be the guy conducting the search it's not very likely his type of guy is one who'll want more control of personnel than Pace is willing to give and McDaniels will probably want that just as Belichick does.

And I still believe he'll be the HC in NE once Bill hangs it up.  McD is still quite young and he's already making as much as many HC get ($4 mil per year).  So where's his financial motivation to walk away from the sweet deal he has now?

22 hours ago, soulman said:

I have yet to hear of any deal for a HC that has a 6 year term with a team option to let him go after 3 years.  Anyone whose in demand would never take that deal to begin with.  Would you?

Ditka's original deal was 3 years and his extension was also 3 years.  Lovie's initial deal was 4 years.  GSH aside those are our two winningest HCs.  So maybe we should be looking at prospects who aren't high on everyone else's list again eh?  The two hottest prospects we hired (Wanny and Nagy) didn't do so well.  Well at least Nagy won't get an extension.

As messed up as this deal has become I wouldn't be shocked if all of the hot prospects turned them down or took other offers.  And as for a new GM now?  I'd say faggedaboutit.  Believe me when I say I think a whole lot of NFL talent wants nothing to do with this place.  Not the way this past year has been handled. Let Pace spend the next year trying to clean things up then decide on him and his future.

Put a 3 year deal on the table for all prospects and up it to four IF you feel you have to in order to get the guy you want and a staff you want.  No more 5 year deals.  The last two HCs should have been let go after 3 years but GMcC and Teddy were not gonna pick up the tab for two years of fishing time and pay another HC.  Three years optimum, four years max.  If he's any good he'll get his extension long before the first deal is up.

Yes if first 3 years were higher pay than market.  

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Yes if first 3 years were higher pay than market.  

You didn't indicate that and I'm not sure I'd do it anyway.  All you'd be doing is paying for assurance you could terminate the deal after 3 years.  Why not 3 years at market with a team option for 3 more years at market plus 10% or plus 20%?

12 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Moore and Olsen's Linehan connection is a good thought too.

I would also love to get Rich Bassacia on staff as a ST/Assistant Head Coach...he and Moore spend time in Dallas together and with how good a job he has done of keeping the Raiders together this season I think he would be the perfect right hand man for a young coach.

Matt Nagy since 2018 - 12x our team have scored 28 points or more...

Brian Daboll - 7x in 11 games so far this season...Daboll has been the OC in Buffalo since 2018 so it's a really fair comparison...they have put up 28 points or more 21x...

Josh McDaniels' offence has put up 28 points or more on 24x since 2018...

Kellen Moore - 7x in 11 games so far this season alone....24x in just 3 years as the Cowboys OC.

Clearly levels to this game.

Edited by Madmike90
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Matt Nagy since 2018 - 12x our team have scored 28 points or more...

Brian Daboll - 7x in 11 games so far this season...Daboll has been the OC in Buffalo since 2018 so it's a really fair comparison...they have put up 28 points or more 21x...

Josh McDaniels' offence has put up 28 points or more on 24x since 2018...

Kellen Moore - 7x in 11 games so far this season alone....24x in just 3 years as the Cowboys OC.

Clearly levels to this game.

The "Sell Nagy" deal has already been closed.  Never keep selling after the close.  😁

19 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

This isn't really true though. McDaniels was 33 when he got the Denver job. He’s 45 now. That’s an eternity. I’m almost 40 and I can assure you that my demeanor and the way I interact with people now is far different than it was in my late 20s, as is that with pretty much everyone I interact with regularly.

Lol. I'm totally calmer now. I was a short-fused a**hole in my teenage years. I can't even argue it. It was damn near a stereotype my family was obligated to fill out. 

Wife (then GF)  helped me see some of my toxic traits and work on them and I started growing up about the time I went to the Air Force. Kids made a huge difference too. 

Still have a temper but handle it really well. There's some things you don't "outgrow" but with time you can learn to get a grip on most things - if they actually want to. 

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

One thing to note, if Pete Carroll is fired I want nothing to do with him. He's floundering with a first ballot HOF QB and just seems to struggle without elite talent

Amen to this. 5-10 years ago I would've sold my house and children for him but it's clear that he is yet another vet HC who has had trouble adapting to the times. This is what makes Belichick so special and unique.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

One thing to note, if Pete Carroll is fired I want nothing to do with him. He's floundering with a first ballot HOF QB and just seems to struggle without elite talent

At 70 years old when Carroll is done in Seattle he won't and shouldn't get another job.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 9:57 PM, AZBearsFan said:

And I'm willing to bet you McD is just as driven and just as much in need to be "the man in charge" as he was then at least in the sense of how he would interface with his team as a HC.

I can't see McDaniels working for a team like the Bears where Ted Phillips and GMcC will still want to keep an active hand in team affairs at the level they do.  I also can't see him being a guy with whom Pace could create a collaborative relationship unless McD gets his own way.

I won't debate whether or not he's a good OC.  He is.  But his ONLY success has come in that very controlled environment that is Bill Belichick's NE Patriots.  Outside of the environment he not only failed.  He failed miserably as a HC.

And let's not overlook who contribute greatly to his success at NE over the years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, soulman said:

I won't debate whether or not he's a good OC.  He is.  But his ONLY success has come in that very controlled environment that is Bill Belichick's NE Patriots.  Outside of the environment he not only failed.  He failed miserably as a HC.

And let's not overlook who contribute greatly to his success at NE over the years.

I'm not even sure we can say that with any conviction, can we? Belichick has influence on every aspect of that team. 

• Like 1