Sean Payton stepping away from Saints

CBears019

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

I think so, but they're in the NFC which isn't as strong as the AFC imo. Find the right QB and who knows. If you can figure out the cap. 

I mean, do like the Patriots did IMO, punt next year, sign a cheapo option at QB with intent on replacing him in the draft the following year. 

• Like 2

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

I actually know more than a few Saints fans happy to see him go. Great run, but the Payton era was at least nearing a deadline in their eyes. 

They would be an extreme minority in that thought. I’ve never seen it, on a few Saints forums/groups.

• Like 3

Just now, Danger said:

He wanted to get out before the downward spiral happened. Writing is on the wall, this team is likely to go nowhere fast right now. No draft capital, no cap space, no QB. Their only good passing option Michael Thomas' future with the team has been suspect to put it nicely.

Doubt that is the reason. Most likely burnout if anything. They can restructure and retain just about everyone. One of the Saints beat writers recently wrote an article about it and it's really not that bad of a cap situation, or at least not much different than it's been for years. I've come to realize our front office is pretty good at what they do with this kind of stuff lol. We likely will resign Winston who played well last season before injuring his knee. I'd be surprised if Thomas isn't a Saint this next season. Kamara is also a weapon in the pass game. Could definitely see us drafting a WR early in the draft though. Not that bad of a situation coupled with a very talented OL and a defense that was playing at a very high level last season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

They would be an extreme minority in that thought. I’ve never seen it, on a few Saints forums/groups.

I see/hear it around town quite a bit. 

Not saying I agree or understood the sentiment. 

Now, some may have been mere frustration amongst the local bar flies. But there's been some quiet rumblings about him not lasting long past Brees and the cap situation and such. 

Frankly, I figured a new QB and he'd go another 6-10 years at least. The cap is just a theory here after all lol. 

Edited by ronjon1990

7 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I see/hear it around town quite a bit. 

Not saying I agree or understood the sentiment. 

Now, some may have been mere frustration amongst the local bar flies. But there's been some quiet rumblings about him not lasting long past Brees and the cap situation and such. 

Frankly, I figured a new QB and he'd go another 6-10 years at least. The cap is just a theory here after all lol. 

I think he’s just totally burnt out. He’s constantly frustrated with officials on the sideline and looks like he’s always a moment away from an aneurism.

I don’t trust local bar flies opinions on football for this very reason lol, there was no reason a Saints fan should want Payton gone 

21 minutes ago, Dome said:

If they bring someone else in (unlikely) you would have to think guys like Thomas, Marcus Williams or some lineman will be moved for draft picks 

How about those linebackers? What's their value? Williams? Asking for a Football Team. 

7 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Payton out for the Saints, Brady maybe retiring for the Bucs

NFC South could look very different next season

Matt Ryan is going to retire soon. Calvin Ridley likely being traded. Panthers have lost Kuechly and someone gained a worse Cam Newton. Saints are without Payton, and the Bucs are gonna lose Brady at some point soon.