Sean Payton stepping away from Saints

CBears019

17 hours ago, Dome said:
On 1/26/2022 at 10:22 AM, Jdolphins18 said:

Does Coach Payton have any weaknesses? What I mean is we’re there any reoccurring soft spots on the team? For example was there any specific group like O-Line or LB’s that were horrible for years on end or maybe he hired a new OC/DC every year or 2? Just curious, asking for a friend really.

Recently he's a lot more rounded and lets his staff do their jobs. He isn't the control freak he used to be. That has helped cover up his weaknesses.

He's an ******* who hates the refs and they hate him, he hates Goodell and Goodell hates him. The Saints weren't cut any slack and Payton won't ever be, wherever he goes. That's definitely something that will always be working against him. However when he's your coach you'll overlook it, or you should. You'll laugh when he calls a timeout to scream at an official, and when he does it again 6 minutes later cause he feels like maybe the ref didn't fully grasp the gravity of the situation.

His biggest weakness is his "vision" players. He has these fever dreams or something and gets completely hooked on a prospect, or a prototype he's looking for. Everyone has seen it with Taysom but there were lots of lesser known guys who Payton tried forcing into a role or position because that was the "vision" he had for them. He's done it forever. If he's in a presser during the offseason and starts talking about his vision, you can almost certainly write that player off as a soon to be disappointment.

He also (allegedly?) has an addictive personality that has led to abusing opioids. Some might consider that a weakness. 

On 1/25/2022 at 10:56 AM, sdrawkcab321 said:

He’ll probably be back someone else in a few years but I understand him wanting to step aside for awhile. He’s been coaching a long time. 

Pretty sure the guy knows he can walk away now after having run up the Mastercard in New Orleans, wait a year, and if McCarthy has another choke-job in Big D then Jerruh is just going to give Payton a blank check to come home - and remedy Jerry's "the one that got away" movie trope.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 9:01 AM, Nabbs4u said:

Yes and send three 1st rd picks to NO please for each of the years they have him under contract. 👍

Can't see it happening this offseason, but in 2023?  You can't tell me you don't think Jerry and Stephen are capable of that.

Also, what does Sean Payton need with 1st round picks?  He trades them away almost as freely as the Rams do.😉

26 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Pretty sure the guy knows he can walk away now after having run up the Mastercard in New Orleans, wait a year, and if McCarthy has another choke-job in Big D then Jerruh is just going to give Payton a blank check to come home - and remedy Jerry's "the one that got away" movie trope.

This is exactly what it feels like as a Boys fan. Like we already know the outcome of 2022, but we are going to have to go through the emotional highs and lows anyway. 

9 hours ago, SWATcha said:

Maybe. Those are also all noodle arm Brees years and this year was, well, this year. I feel like his normal play calling style may of been somewhat crippled lol. It would be interesting to see what he would/could do with an offense like the Cowboys.

I think he's always been willing to run the ball.  I think we haven't always been great at it, as in, when we really need to run the ball and get positive yards, we couldn't do it, and so he didn't.  Also, our defense was abysmal more often than not.

4 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I think he's always been willing to run the ball.  I think we haven't always been great at it, as in, when we really need to run the ball and get positive yards, we couldn't do it, and so he didn't.  Also, our defense was abysmal more often than not.

This is true too… for all the times fans wanted a run and Payton called a pass play, the chances of Brees converting a short pass was probably almost always better than converting a run.

the times it worked, people ignored 

when it failed they noticed 

On 1/25/2022 at 1:07 PM, AP_allday2869 said:

Good. Sean Payton is a scum bag who has only ever had post season success when he cheated. How he was never banned along with Greg Williams is completely beyond me. Good riddance

...and we still won the SB before your team did... :)

• Like 1