2022 NFL Free Agents That I Would Consider Trying to Sign to the Steelers

Steeler Hitman

With the dreams of holding another Lombardi trophy high in Steelers Nation emphatically stomped, it is time to move forward. How do we rebuild this team? Is it a complete rebuild or more of a retool?  I believe that the core of the roster has to be drafted and that you can find more support pieces in free agency.  Minkah Fitzpatrick aside (He is a franchise player and is a top priority to resign).

I will resign Ju Ju at WR (back-up plan is Christian Kirk) and I am going to resign CB Ahkello Witherspoon. I want to bring Joe Haden back, but I don't think the high salary demand is worth the potential injuries and having Joe sit half the season. Not sure that will happen, but I would like to have him back. Either way more help is needed at CB.

I will bring Tyson back and not sure about DL status with Tuitt in limbo, so I resign Montavious Adams. He's not Tuitt, but added some help to the DL.  He was a solid pick-up. 

wp5123003.jpg

QB - - This is going to be very important in the off season decision making of the Steelers going forward. Do they look to draft a QB, sign a free agent, or potentially make a trade for a veteran? A-A-Ron  and Russell are a big dreams and would cost valuable draft capitol. Too expensive in my opinion for also adding/building other positions to help put the Steelers in a better position to compete and win. I wouldn't mind seeing an established veteran like Matt Ryan here as well.  The problem is the draft capitol needed to obtain him and then losing the ability to upgrade the OL and other positions of need.  One name that intrigues me and may be able to be had flying under the radar is Carson Wentz. I have loved this kid since he came out of college. He has had some horrible breaks and injuries. I still see the potential of the QB who was an injury away from being a league MVP than the player who suffered behind poor OL's and lost his swag. If the draft capitol was not too great (I know it wouldn't be anywhere close to A-A-Ron or Russell's), why not. He has starting experience and only needs to be in the right system. He has some mobility as well. Come on to Pittsburgh and get your swagger back young man!  Remember, you heard it first from the Hitman.😁

hi-res-c37de9cad7cc659a07b78cce5fea8a76_

#1 The top free agent on my QB board is Marcus Mariota. He is a former # pick, has starter experience, is still young, fits the mobile QB box, and I still believe his best football is ahead of him. I suggested trying to get him when he was available after leaving the Titans.  He could have sat, learned and competed for the #2 with Mason. He would not be a bad guy to bring in post Big Ben era.  

urn-publicid-ap-org-70f98db9540a47e9a0a5

#2 Jacoby Brissett: He has both back-up and starting experience in New England, Indianapolis, and Miami.  He has the journeyman label, but I think he is better than the average journeyman. I think he offers a bit more than Mason and Dwayne, but will never be confused for being a top tier NFL QB. He is not going to make you forget that you still need to find a franchise QB, but I think he is good enough to win. With the right pieces around him, he could do a pretty good Trent Dilfer imitation.

Some other names, but no!

Jameis Winston. I like his youth and arm, but not his decision making, lack of mobility, and coming off an injury. Probably no.

Mitch Tribisky: I thought this kid was way over-drafted. While he has some mobility, from a purely NFL level QB standpoint, I don't give him much higher grades than Mason Rudolph. Mitch got plenty of playing experience in Chicago, but I don't see as high a ceiling with him as may others do. No thanks.

Cam Newton: I would not have minded him being here a few years ago, but as a starter big no.

Teddy Bridgewater: Hurt too much and very limited. He typically won't make big mistakes, but you almost have to have the perfect game plan and execution for him to win. I lived long enough with Neil O'Donnell at the Steelers QB helm in the 90's. 

Tyrod Taylor: Journeyman at best. We have Mason already and I am honestly not sure that he is better than Mason despite his experience. 

Bottom line is I would make a phone call on Carson Wentz and if no deal could be struck for the right draft capitol, then Mariota is the man.  Jacoby would be my third option.

GCWGBASTKJJG6RMRIWQ7K4FJRY.jpg

ILB: Bush will still be there, Schobert is probably going to not be resigned for his high salary. Middle of the defense was soft! We can give a lot of reasons for it, but an upgrade at ILB won't hurt.

1. Leighton Vander Esch ILB: While I am probably the only one willing to give Joe Schobert another shot, his salary would be monster.  If you are going to pay that, get a younger player to build around. The defense needs maturity and more leadership and this would be my guy. Sign him early before the train starts moving.

2. Rashaan Evans: If I can't get Vander Esch, sign the guy that they wanted to draft anyway. 

USATSI_14809976-1.jpg

1. Will Hernandez: I have liked this kid since he came out of school. He is a competitor and tough. He puts some teeth on the OL. Best football is still in front of him. 

dannyshelton-e1429734746522.jpg

1. Danny Shelton: I say sign him every off season. I am tired of not getting off the field on third and one or fourth and one. Not popular with the "We don't need a true NG" club, but I don't care. We need to be able to run the ball consistently and stop the run consistently. Period. Loudermilk will replace Tuitt (Guessing, but not expecting him back) in the starting lineup. Tyson starts next to Heyward. Wormley will spell Loudermilk and Cam. Shelton and Adams rotate with Tyson in the middle. They can still draft their true 5-tech guy to replace Tuitt. I keep 7 DL's with the rookie draft pick.

HYX2382.jpg?w=2048&ssl=1

1. CB Kevin King: A bit of a gamble, but he is long and rangy. Everything they had hoped that Justin Layne would be by now.

2. CB Steven Nelson:  Welcome back! Not great or sexy, but makes sense. At least to me.😁

yelps0pl8kyndpetfxjn

Tight End:  Some may think that this is a bit of a luxury pick with the emergence of Pat Freiermuth and the development of Kevin Radar and Zach Gentry. I would love to get a player like David Njoku or OJ Howard. They will be looking for the big payday. While the Steelers have some money, I would rather use it at other positions of greater need. That said, they may still be able to add a solid running mate to add to the TE room in Will Dissly or Hayden Hurst. While Evan Engram is tempting, I could see Ebron 2.0 there as well as the fulfilling of having that dream TE who can stretch a defense down the middle or seam.  Not willing to gamble o  Engrams inconsistency.  A good TE is a young QB's best friend. Two is a heck of a security blanket.

1. Hayden Hurst - - Was #2 TE in Raven land before being shipped to the ATL. Former #1 draft choice. Would be a monster next to Pat. While he is looking to get paid, he shouldn't break the market value bank like Njoku, Howard or some other TE free agents.

2. Will Dissly - - Solid TE with good hands in the redzone.  A Steelers type of value free agent. This guy is good. Much better than the current back-ups.

usatsi_15143334_168390307_lowres.jpg

I want to fix some things instantly and since there is some money, the Steelers pay the player they should have drafted in the first place:

1. Jessie Bates III: What a compliment to have next to Minkah. Tired of seeing the secondary getting shredded. Can you say two rangy ball hawking safeties?! 

No luxury pick here, but getting our secondary much better. I love Edmunds the person, but not the football player. Steelers do what they should have four years ago. Get Bates!

Thoughts, suggestions, or other players?

Wentz has a $28m cap hit and isnt that good.    No one is trading for that.   He could get released, though.

Id take Brissett over Mariota pretty easily.

Only FAs you listed that Im interested in are maybe Nelson and Bates....but I dont know if Nelson would come back and we are far more likely to resign Edmunds than sign Bates.   The TEs are okay too, I guess....but I think Gentry is fine....for 2022 anyway.

Sign Brissett.

RB depth like Sony Michel or JD McKissic.

Resign Juju or sign Will Fuller.   Maybe Zay Jones.

TE...Hayden Hurst, Jesse James or Tyler Kroft..cheapest option.

OL Brandon Scherff or Andrew Norwell could be nice.   Maybe Eric Fisher or Laurent Duverney Tardif.

DL Jarran Reed, Jonathan Hankins, Solomon Thomas, Adam Gotsis

OLB....Derek Barnett depending on price.

ILB Kwon Alexander or Christian Kirksey

CB...Stephon Gilmore at the right price.  JC Jackson or Donte Jackson are pipe dreams, but got me chubbed up.    Guys like Nelson, Witherspoon and Sidney Jones are likely options.   Haden could get a one year deal if he doesn't retire.

S Jessie Bates would be great....but we will likely keep Edmunds.   As long as they dont overpay, so be it.   He is JAG, but we have so may holes to fill.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

wentz is lousy at best

You’re on it with this one. Look back at the Colts box scores if people think Wentz is still good. They won when he didn’t throw, they lost when he threw. He had an awesome roster and they didn’t make the playoffs. That was with Frank Reich who has been the only person to make Wentz look good. He’s cooked. I don’t know if it was injuries or something else, but he’s looked BAD ever since that big year with Philly(which I should mention that Foles looked just as good as he did, and actually won that SB).

• Like 1

Colts won in spite of Wentz.  Their defense was great but when they got pushed and Wentz had to step up, he most failed.  I would not touch him.

The Steelers should/will sign at least one player on the Oline.  RT/OG or Center.  The question is what they would do with Green.  If they really think Green can't mentally handle being a center then they get someone like Ted Karras from NE.  Otherwise, they still with Hassenauer or someone like him.  OGs are easily up-gradable.  Even if they think Dotson is the future, they could add one more.  Personally, I would love Sayler from Georgia but They also could sign Will Hernandez or Laken Tomlinson and lock that position down.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 43M said:

Wentz has a $28m cap hit and isn't that good.    No one is trading for that.   He could get released, though.

I considered that ($28 cap hit) Truthfully not that insane for a decent QB. But to your point, he hasn't been decent or consistent. I think he still has juice in the tank. He needs to be in the right place/situation. 

I'd take Brissett over Mariota pretty easily.

I am on the fence with this one. No doubt that Brissett has been more consistent, but I think Mariota has a higher ceiling. Some of these players need coaching and the right system. They get thrown to the wolves, don't develop and then are laid out to pasture inside of a few years. I think Mariota and Wentz just need to be in the right system and offenses. Maybe I am wrong, but that is what I feel and think.

Only FAs you listed that I'm interested in are maybe Nelson and Bates....but I don't know if Nelson would come back and we are far more likely to resign Edmunds than sign Bates.

Nelson played his best football in our system. I don't think the parting of ways was as bad as the media tried to make it. The team kept Joe Haden over him. They made the right choice and Nelson still didn't prove the Steelers wrong by his play in my opinion. He fits our system and could revive his career and $$$. 

I agree that will try to sign Edmunds if he doesn't try to get to Buffalo with his brother. After what Mahomes did to the secondary with 13 seconds, they can use another athletic safety. I liked Edmunds coming out as a third or fourth rounder, and I hated and still hate his play as a first rounder. I see Bates as a huge upgrade and if you are not trying to improve your secondary after seeing what Mahomes and Allen did the last few minutes of that game.... Bates and Minkah would be a sick back end for the Steelers. That would help with the lack of an elite CB and the fact they also have an above average pass rush. Not saying the Steelers won't resign Edmonds, but I am at least making a phone call to Bates agent. He is the better safety of the two. Steelers made a mistake not drafting a football player over an athlete. 

The TEs are okay too, I guess....but I think Gentry is fine....for 2022 anyway.

Gentry and Radar are decent to serviceable back-ups. Hayden Hurst is better than both and gives the offense another receiving weapon. New QB needs a security blanket. TE's can be that. Again, I think a guy like Hurst takes the position to another level that Gentry and Radar cannot.  I wouldn't be opposed to keeping three or all four TE's depending on the roster make-up.

Sign Brissett.

Solid, but not sexy. I think he is better than Mason, but I also think we will find out what Mason is made of as his credibility to lead is definitely being challenged. As it should at this point. I still like Mariota over Brissett because of his higher ceiling/potential. 

RB depth like Sony Michel or JD McKissic.

I forgot a little about RB depth and I agree that both are an upgrade over what is on the current roster. 

Resign Juju or sign Will Fuller.   Maybe Zay Jones.

TE...Hayden Hurst, Jesse James or Tyler Kroft..cheapest option.

I am all on board with resigning Ju Ju. I think that Christian Kirk could do wonders in this offense with his speed and zip. 

No thanks to bringing Outlaw back at this point. I don't think he offers anything more than Radar or Gentry except experience. No thanks to Kroft as he would be the third TE signed who spends more time in the training tent or on the sideline than the field. Hayden Hurst is solid and has upside. Nice pairing with Pat and doesn't disappoint in the run or passing game. Hurst upgrades the position. 

OL Brandon Scherff or Andrew Norwell could be nice.   Maybe Eric Fisher or Laurent Duverney Tardif.

No thanks. A lot of money or insane money for any of them. Eric Fisher probably wouldn't be as expensive, but at this point, you have tabbed Dan Moore as your LT. Draft a RT and you decide if you want Banner or Chucks back.  I still think Banner could be that mauler at RT. We never got to see it for whatever reason. 

DL Jarran Reed, Jonathan Hankins, Solomon Thomas, Adam Gotsis

OLB....Derek Barnett depending on price.

I love both Solomon Thomas and Jonathan Haskins.  I figured Shelton would be cheaper and still give bang for the buck.  

As far as OLB, I would rather draft and develop depth here. Pretty good track record of that. Maybe in the fourth round grab a developmental Edge guy. 

ILB Kwon Alexander or Christian Kirksey

Both are good, but like Schobert, getting them a year or two after they probably should have. I would rather go with the younger guys who can develop and grow. It would probably help light the competitive fire under Bush as well. 

CB...Stephon Gilmore at the right price.  JC Jackson or Donte Jackson are pipe dreams, but got me chubbed up.    Guys like Nelson, Witherspoon and Sidney Jones are likely options.   Haden could get a one year deal if he doesn't retire.

S Jessie Bates would be great....but we will likely keep Edmunds.   As long as they don't overpay, so be it.   He is JAG, but we have so may holes to fill.

Stephen Gilmore is going to command a higher salary and his play is going to be trending downward. I would love the pipe dreams. They have the money. Maybe this is where they spend some to finally get a top flight CB like JC Jackson.  I want to get better. Bottom line Bates>Edmunds. 

9 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Wentz is lousy at best. Mariota might be a 1 year prove it deal . 

Most say that, but I see something in Wentz. He is a better athlete than given credit and he can still throw the ball. His problems have been decision making. That is coachable. Live to fight another down or series. Throw the ball away or take the sack rather than just fling it. That has been Carson the past few years. He went down since getting hurt and losing the scheme that was effective for him.  

Is it even worth it to dress the defence though? Maybe just score as much as possible and see how  that goes. #1 defence for the bills did nothing vs the chiefs, nothing

Doesn't make you feel as bad about how the Steelers got lit up. Do you want to continue to allow that to happen? Get some better defensive players! It is still proven that pressure and heat on a QB is not his best friend. Steelers defense played three solid series and the offense did nothing to generate drives, milk the clock and take chances/possessions away from KC. That is how you beat elite QB's like that. They can't hurt you on the sideline. The Bengals beat them by keeping Mahomes off the field late in the fourth quarter their last game. You would think your team can keep them from going 50 yards in 13 seconds. I would have squib kicked and made them have to throw a hail Mary and pray that the football God's were on my side for that one play. Three plays in 13 seconds! Wowsa! 

8 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

You’re on it with this one. Look back at the Colts box scores if people think Wentz is still good. They won when he didn’t throw, they lost when he threw. He had an awesome roster and they didn’t make the playoffs. That was with Frank Reich who has been the only person to make Wentz look good. He’s cooked.

Hard to argue any of that. They didn't make the play-offs just because of Wentz' inadequacies. They blew a lot of winnable games and didn't step up when needed as a team period. No he was not playing anywhere near elite, but for a span of four games, they looked like the best team in football. They were as Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde as the Steelers last year. 

I don’t know if it was injuries or something else, but he’s looked BAD ever since that big year with Philly(which I should mention that Foles looked just as good as he did, and actually won that SB).

Yeah it was the injury that was the turning point. I would not say Nick Foles looked as good. Carson was head and shoulders the league MVP prior to tearing his knee against the Rams. Foles struggled and got hot and has been streaky at best during his career. Love both guys but, again, Wentz is the better prospect and has a higher ceiling. It was Foles time. He came into a great situation and I would say the Philly defense and support he had on offense helped Foles more. Wentz could win games and put the team on his back before he got hurt. I have nothing to justify my feelings towards Wentz expect, I still think he has juice in the tank and needs to be in the right place. Maybe Indy wasn't it? Yes, he was with his coach/mentor, but that may not have been the best situation.

As much as I love BA, his offense and the Steelers lack of protecting their franchise QB until later in his career probably cost them. Tom Brady is 44 and has not been beat up throughout his career. I don't know maybe Big Ben is still able to do some things if he hadn't taken such a beating for 12 of his 18 seasons? He still went down as the most sacked QB in NFL history. That is one heck of a distinction and yet still have been considered elite/Top 5 four years ago. Todd Haley helped Ben, but it was probably 5-7 years too late. Get a hold of Wentz now and put him on the right team and situation and I think you can see the player pre injury going forward with the right things around him, just like Nick Foles. He hasn't been as successful since then either. 

I'd like to make a case for Trubisky. Aside from a bad rookie year under Fox, he played decent at QB for the Bears. Overall winning record, decent QB rating, and is a bit mobile. Nothing spectacular, of course, but not horrible. I'm sorry, did you see Wentz just melt versus Jacksonville? 

My take is Trubisky struggled with having Nagy as his coach in 2019 and 2020 as their relationship disintegrated. I'd take Trubisky and/or Mariota as UFAs for less than $3 M per year as competition for Rudolph. I think both have much more potential than Haskins, and both might turn out to be better than Rudolph. 

I do not think drafting a rookie QB this year is prudent, given the poor class. I also think you have to give Rudolph true competition.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

I'd like to make a case for Trubisky. Aside from a bad rookie year under Fox, he played decent at QB for the Bears. Overall winning record, decent QB rating, and is a bit mobile. Nothing spectacular, of course, but not horrible. I'm sorry, did you see Wentz just melt versus Jacksonville? 

My take is Trubisky struggled with having Nagy as his coach in 2019 and 2020 as their relationship disintegrated. I'd take Trubisky and/or Mariota as UFAs for less than $3 M per year as competition for Rudolph. I think both have much more potential than Haskins, and both might turn out to be better than Rudolph. 

I do not think drafting a rookie QB this year is prudent, given the poor class. I also think you have to give Rudolph true competition.

Yep him or Mariota if they’re going to go vet/bridge QB.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I disagree about Wentz.

I respect that. I realize that I am definitely in the minority here. A lot of talent evaluation goes with who you like, what you see, what you believe in a guy, etc. 

If coaching was the issue wouldn't Reich fix it? He was the coach of Wentz in college and Philly.

Not necessarily. Sometimes you need the unfamiliar and something different. No that Coach Reich is bad for him or any QB, maybe not what Wentz needs right now in his career. For as much as we can hate on Coach Canada for his play calling short comings and how he didn't adjust his system to the players, his system could be what Wentz needs. He is big, fairly mobile, can make all throws, he's young, tough, and has been through some adversity.  I don't think his year injured diminished his skills or talent as much as his lack of success. I think Wentz has lost his mojo more than his skills have eroded. Jeff George had all the talent in the world, but never realized it. Talent alone is not just enough. I think Wentz just needs to get some confidence. He needs the ole school Eye of the Tiger! Sometimes you have to break away from the familiar. It prolonged Big Ben's career. 

I think Wentz is broken and way too expensive. 

Fair enough. I agree that he is broken, but I also think he's fixable. I think the $$$ could easily be negotiated to a fair price and even an incentive filled contract. I don't think this would happen, but is something that I would look into.

1 hour ago, cjfollett said:

I honestly don't think Tribisky is much better than Mason. He has more mobility and games under his belt, but that is it in my opinion. I think his ceiling is in the same realm of Masons'.  The intriguing or more interesting part about Tribisky is he is more mobile. I saw Wentz and the entire team melt like the Steelers did last year down the stretch and at home versus the Browns. Not much of a difference. Change of scenery, coach, players, and locker room. I definitely think the Colts were a play-off team and no one would have been excited about playing them. The team did not live up to its expectations. You could say the same thing about the Cardinals, but no one is saying Murray is washed up either. 

Can't argue that as it makes sense financially and otherwise. I doubt Wentz gets paid the $28 million honestly. If traded, I am sure the team acquiring him would talk about a contract renegotiation. Despite his flaws, he is still a better QB than Mason, Mitch or Marcus at this point.

I agree with both statements.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

No thanks. A lot of money or insane money for any of them. Eric Fisher probably wouldn't be as expensive, but at this point, you have tabbed Dan Moore as your LT. Draft a RT and you decide if you want Banner or Chucks back.  I still think Banner could be that mauler at RT. We never got to see it for whatever reason. 

1)  If there is one place where we should target a high priced FA, its offensive line.

2)  In what world has Dan Moore cemented himself as our LT going forward?   He may have a future on our line, but its more likely at guard.   We absolutely should be going into this offseason with the mindset that we need a new starting LT.   At the very least, someone than can challenge Dan Moore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

1)  If there is one place where we should target a high priced FA, its offensive line.

I would agree, but the players that you named are at the top of the salary heap and I am not so sure that the couldn't do better with a guy like Hernandez. I know they have some money, but I don't want to necessarily give it away. Brandon Scherff made close to $20 million last year. Is he worth that much? You are going to pay even more for a great LT. I also want to see the middle of the defense get fixed, so I am looking at signing one of the two guys I mentioned at ILB. You have Bush for another year and if he doesn't step up, you can easily let him go. If he does, then you should have two pretty good ILB's with he and Vander Esch or Eavns.

2)  In what world has Dan Moore cemented himself as our LT going forward?   

I hate to say it, but the Steelers world. I think they threw this kid to the wolves. I would have rather seen him play as the third LT. I kept saying move Chuks back to LT and insert Banner at RT. From all the scutter, Moore was told to prepare to play LT like he was a starter and they kept him there. He had his ups and downs.  You get a chance to draft a higher talent, you do so, but I think the Steelers feel like he was a second to early third round LT they stole because of the depth of the position last year. Yeah, I think the Steelers believe that he is their man at LT. Their actions have shown that to me and I think they are fine with typing his name at the top of the LT depth chart going into 2022.

He may have a future on our line, but its more likely at guard.   We absolutely should be going into this offseason with the mindset that we need a new starting LT.   At the very least, someone than can challenge Dan Moore.

I think that K. Green may go to OG before Moore. They invested in Moore and he seems to have had a better payoff than Green did at C. I don't think they want to blow the entire OL up. You are going to probably have a new RT, RG (I say sign Hernandez), Center, LG Dotson and LT Moore. Ted Karris or Bradley Bozeman are two guys to consider at Center was well. Maybe Germain Ifedi at RT if you are not sold on Banner as I am. Bottom line is I think they want Moore at LT. You draft the more talented LT if he is there.  I think you fix the OL with a vet or two and draft some developmental depth. I can definitely see them signing one or two starters at OL. If they get more they are probably talking depth players.