2022 NFL Free Agents That I Would Consider Trying to Sign to the Steelers

Steeler Hitman

I keep hearing about signing a QB that just needs coaching up to improve. No offense, but why would you think that that is going to happen with us??? Have you seen Mason develop with our great QB coaches? Who knows if Haskins has developed at all either.  I think with the exception of possibly our LB coach, half this team’s problem is the lack of coaching and development. Munch was great at it for the OL, but I just don’t see that development from our staff. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I think that K. Green may go to OG before Moore. They invested in Moore and he seems to have had a better payoff than Green did at C. I don't think they want to blow the entire OL up. You are going to probably have a new RT, RG (I say sign Hernandez), Center, LG Dotson and LT Moore. Ted Karris or Bradley Bozeman are two guys to consider at Center was well. Maybe Germain Ifedi at RT if you are not sold on Banner as I am. Bottom line is I think they want Moore at LT. You draft the more talented LT if he is there.  I think you fix the OL with a vet or two and draft some developmental depth. I can definitely see them signing one or two starters at OL. If they get more they are probably talking depth players. 

If they go into 2022 with the assumption that Dan Moore is our starting LT based on hos 2021 play, they are complete idiots. 

I completely agree that Moore was thrown to the wolves and put in a terrible situation as a rookie...so was Green....but that doesnt mean either showed enough to have any confidence in them going forward.   Not to say we should give up on them, but LT and C are arguably the most important positions on the OL, and it wouldnt be wise to overlook them in favor of those two.

Id like to see something like...

LT Charles Cross

LG Dan Moore

C Ben Jones/Rookie

RG Laurent Duvernay Tardif/Dotson

RT Zach Banner/Haeg/Rookie

Edited by 43M

1 hour ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

I keep hearing about signing a QB that just needs coaching up to improve. No offense, but why would you think that that is going to happen with us??? Have you seen Mason develop with our great QB coaches? Who knows if Haskins has developed at all either.  I think with the exception of possibly our LB coach, half this team’s problem is the lack of coaching and development. Munch was great at it for the OL, but I just don’t see that development from our staff. 

100% agreed.

I dont expect a signed QB to develop into anything...just maybe be a decent stop gap.

I'm for going all in on B.Scherff, consistently one the best interior lineman in football.
I think we still draft two OL as well. He's got a good four or five years in him.

I think we need to sign a FA CB that isn't Haden, even if we manage to resign Witherspoon.
I think we need to draft one as well.
Pierre and Layne just just aren't going to get much better.

I think a solid FA signing on the DL, someone like Jarran Reed, would be helpful,
along with resigning M.Adams. I think Tuitt will be leaving the game (his house for sale in Pittsburgh).

I'd definitely resign T.Edmunds (although I'd love J.Bates, I think he'll be resigned), consider JuJu (at the right price)
and if not look at someone who can separate from coverage - C.Kirk, D.Chark, etc.

20 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

You’re on it with this one. Look back at the Colts box scores if people think Wentz is still good. They won when he didn’t throw, they lost when he threw. He had an awesome roster and they didn’t make the playoffs. That was with Frank Reich who has been the only person to make Wentz look good. He’s cooked. I don’t know if it was injuries or something else, but he’s looked BAD ever since that big year with Philly(which I should mention that Foles looked just as good as he did, and actually won that SB).

I don't care for most QB's anyways, so add wentz to that pile.  When he lost the last game of the year, in the presser after, all he did was keep saying "we" instead of "I". He lost it for them, at least take the blame. If he is here, I won't watch.  I wold rather waste a year and draft the QB of the future next draft. We know mason isn't the answer, neither is haskins, but they can help trade value next year. 

Wentz benefitted from the great OL the eagles had. Then of course as you remind us, the rest is history and how nice it was to see BB lose in the SB to a reserve 

There’s too many interior OL(especially OGs) available in FA for them not to sign one.

Could just drop $90mill and go get Tomlinson for LG and Corbett/Scherff for RG...have JC and Green battle for Center and draft a OT within the 1st 2 rounds to compete with Moore at LT.

Have Haeg and Banner(pay cut) compete for RT.

2023 needs include RT and possibly Center.

OL won’t be fixed in 1 offseason...probsbly 2 or 3.

Edited by AFF
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Fair point, but I am talking more about relationship and fit.  Ben didn't have the relationship with Todd Haley that he had with BA, but I strongly believe that is why he got to play in 2020 and 2021. Sometimes it is the fit. There is also development, growth, and maturity as a player and person. That affects your career as well. Some are able to bring out the best in people based on relationship. Good managers develop, improve, and motivate their workers to bring out the best of what is already in them. No magic coaching or insight, but just fit in terms of what the team and personnel can do relationship wise. 

13 hours ago, 43M said:

If they go into 2022 with the assumption that Dan Moore is our starting LT based on hos 2021 play, they are complete idiots. 

I hate to be that guy, but I sincerely think that is the thinking.🤐 It makes no sense for them to have invested so much in him and they had other options on the bench. Haig played LT, Chucks was a better LT than RT, and don't get me started on why the heck they didn't give Banner a shot. I think they very firmly and strongly believe Dan Moore is the LT of the future and expect him to make strides this offseason. I don't think LT is at the top of their priorities. I believe if someone falls or they can get a veteran at a salary that they can't refuse, they may bring someone in. 

I completely agree that Moore was thrown to the wolves and put in a terrible situation as a rookie...so was Green....but that doesn't mean either showed enough to have any confidence in them going forward.   

Both are at different points based on their play. I think Moore got better and pardon the pun, Moore productive at LT as the season went on. He had ups and downs, but also showed some growth and potential.  Green had higher expectations and left some questions about the ability to play the position. I  think it is unfair, but also the reality of the situation. Green struggled at a new position and in adjusting to the NFL from college from a strength standpoint. I also think many young players get physically and mentally worn down between their final college season, bowl games, the draft process, and the long NFL season. They are in essence playing two full years of football without any break. Some adjust better than others.

Not to say we should give up on them, but LT and C are arguably the most important positions on the OL, and it wouldn't be wise to overlook them in favor of those two.

Agreed and i don't think they will. I just believe that they have a plan, but it can change based on who is out there.  I think C, RG, and RT are more an OL concern than LT if I am ranking the priorities. 

Id like to see something like...

LT Charles Cross

LG Dan Moore

C Ben Jones/Rookie

RG Laurent Duvernay Tardif/Dotson

RT Zach Banner/Haeg/Rookie

I think we are thinking along the same lines with different players and positions. I would prefer to get the younger players. Typically a little bit cheaper and longer career. Which is why I chose Will Hernandez.  If I went Center and spent, I would look at the Ravens Bradley Bozeman. He's big, young, and strong. I am looking to maul more and have  a more power run scheme with Najee Harris at RB. Time to go back to what the Steelers were early Ben with a new QB coming in. They are going to need to lean on the run game.  I would draft Cross, but would be shocked a good LT would be there at #20. Despite Green's struggles, I don't think they are going to cast him aside altogether. I see him at RG potentially or back-up C. I don't think they cast Dotson away in favor of Moore either. I don't think Moore beats Dotson at LG. 

12 hours ago, mwalker said:

I'm for going all in on B. Scherff, consistently one the best interior lineman in football.
I think we still draft two OL as well. He's got a good four or five years in him.

No doubt he is god, but he is at that 30+ mark and very expensive.  This is going to cost more than the Steelers would probably pay a QB ($17 and $20 million on average).  That's a lot of cheddar for an OL. My challenge is can we get the results in the run game from a younger cheaper Hernandez or player like that? I'd rather spend OC if we go that route. 

I think we need to sign a FA CB that isn't Haden, even if we manage to resign Witherspoon.
I think we need to draft one as well.
Pierre and Layne just just aren't going to get much better.

No debate here from me. I agree! I wouldn't mind Joe coming back, but realistically we can't soak our CB hopes on his availability. He is hurt a lot and older. Time to get some younger guys in here. Packers CB Kevin King?

I think a solid FA signing on the DL, someone like Jarran Reed, would be helpful,
along with resigning M. Adams. I think Tuitt will be leaving the game (his house for sale in Pittsburgh). 

Agreed. 

I'd definitely resign T.Edmunds (although I'd love J. Bates, I think he'll be resigned), consider JuJu (at the right price) and if not look at someone who can separate from coverage - C. Kirk, D. Chark, etc.

I don't think that 2022 Edmonds is better than the 2021 version. I think Edmonds made strides each year until 2021 and he leveled off. He is who and what he is, but I think very upgradeable. The middle of the defense is soft and getting Minkah out of playing a tackling box safety does not best utilize his skills. I think the Bengals would want to resign Bates, but $$$ talks. The Steelers have some, so that's an area I would spend. This gives them the best safety tandem in the league and helps with some of the inadequacies at coverage CB. Edmonds is a great kid and so was Sean Davis, but they are limited in what they did for this defense despite great athleticism. Get me some football players, not just great athletes!!!

Would you pay Ju Ju $15 - $17 million a season?

12 hours ago, 3rivers said:

I don't see this team being able to get the pieces to compete vs fairly healthy KC, Bills, Bengals or Chargers if they get some defence half fast anyways.

The defense has to get better. The injuries, run defense, and many hurt players hurt the Steelers defense.  However, they actually competed with all of those teams. The Bengals gave them the most resounding beatings and TJ Watt missed most of game one and was playing sick game two.  The offense let them down.  They scored a lot of points against the Chargers, but they also missed more opportunities that game. With great QB's you possess the ball, have long scoring drives, and keep the great QB on the sideline.  Bengals game versus Chiefs at the end.  Bengals won that game because they kept the ball out of Mahomes hands late. Steelers defense shut the Chiefs offense down for almost a half.  They got no support from the offense and the defense even scored a TD.  Get tougher in the trenches and be able to play smash-mouth football. You have to be able to play this style until you can get an elite QB, and they don't grow on trees. 

12 hours ago, AFF said:

There’s too many interior OL(especially OGs) available in FA for them not to sign one.

Could just drop $90mill and go get Tomlinson for LG and Corbett/Scherff for RG...have JC and Green battle for Center and draft a OT within the 1st 2 rounds to compete with Moore at LT.

That is $45 million for two OL's??? We need it, but if you can get the same result for less, why not do it or try? Austin Corrbett is smaller than Green and doesn't have the same feisty style as Tyler Linderbaum who is also on the light side. Former Norte Dame OT and Bears back-up Alex Bars is a mauler type as well. These guys could potentially do the job for much less than $90 million. I get it, but is the juice worth the $90 million squeeze so to speak? Cheaper and just as tasty to get the Minute Maid! 

Have Haeg and Banner(pay cut) compete for RT.

Agree!

2023 needs include RT and possibly Center. OL won’t be fixed in 1 offseason...probably 2 or 3.

Not both if you sign one this year. You can't let the Center position go without potential of an upgrade either via the draft with a prospect like  Tyler Linderbaum or free agency Bradley Bozeman or Todd Karrass. It may not be a completely finished product (maybe RT upgrade), but not two more seasons away either. Last year was a part of that change/growth process as well. 

8 hours ago, Cbrunn said:

Nobody likes Connor Williams? 

I'd take Williams to play LG 

Draft a RT in round 2 probably

Nothing wrong with Connor Williams. Personally, I want them to get big, mean, hog-ish type of OL's. Time to get back to mauling! That is one reason why I like Hernandez. Big, tough, mauling and has an edge. I want the Steelers to get tough again. My stomach cringes every time I hear Steelers and soft in the same sentence. 

Not implying any of the other OL's are soft, but I want the big mean maulers 325 LBS+ inside or guys who are smaller, but more the scrappier mauler types than the movement guys. Tyler Linderbaum is not a big guy, but he plays violent for a guy his size.  he will mix it up.  He has the same mindset to me as Landon Dickerson, except he is no where near Dickerson's height, weight, and overall size.  I think he's a pup with some bite to go with the bark! 

@Steeler Hitman

It was just an example of what they could do...FA is always pricey...the OL is at the point of I don’t care if we overpay.

They could truthfully give out dual 5/$45 mill deal to 2 OL and their combined year 1 cap hits would be $12 mill or so....I was just throwing out some names.

Im not sure what they’re going to do with Green...wouldn’t surprise me for to upgrade the OL around him and see if he makes a 2nd year jump like JC did...also wouldn’t surprise me if they dropped a good sized deal on a veteran Center like Jensen/Jones/Karras.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AFF said:

@Steeler Hitman

It was just an example of what they could do...FA is always pricey...the OL is at the point of I don’t care if we overpay.

They could truthfully give out dual 5/$45 mill deal to 2 OL and their combined year 1 cap hits would be $12 mill or so....I was just throwing out some names.

I'm not sure what they’re going to do with Green...wouldn’t surprise me for to upgrade the OL around him and see if he makes a 2nd year jump like JC did...also wouldn’t surprise me if they dropped a good sized deal on a veteran Center like Jensen/Jones/Karras.

Thanks for the clarification. OL is so bad and needs to be fixed as does the defense. They have the money so it is not a bad idea to spend. I prefer some of the younger guys. I don't want the same thing to happen as with some other free agent signings or trades where the vet comes in and hi splay seems to have dropped. We saw this with Trai Turner. 

5 minutes ago, AFF said:

Slightly OT but apparently Tuitts house was just sold recently...could be coincidental but I stated a few weeks ago I don’t think he’s coming back.

He was a great player for the team. He fit the line well and was a difference maker. However, it appears his head and heart may be elsewhere besides Steelers football.  Losing a family member can put a lot of perspective on life and  what is truly important. I have no bad feelings and wish him the best for himself and his life if this is the end. 

1 hour ago, AFF said:

Slightly OT but apparently Tuitts house was just sold recently...could be coincidental but I stated a few weeks ago I don’t think he’s coming back.

I won't read much into the house selling, but if he does step away....would 2014 be the best draft class ever of KNOWN high quality NFL talent that all just (somewhat tragically) feel off?

1) Ryan Shazier
2) Stephon Tuitt
3) Dri Archer
4) Martavis Bryant

Even Wesley Johnson hung around the league for 5-6 years. Big Dan McCullers was a good pick for a 6th rounder who stuck in the league for 7 years. 

Like Senquez Golson is easy to understand. We never got to see him to know if he could play in the NFL or not. We SAW those 3 do big things in the league....and now, gone. 

5 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I won't read much into the house selling, but if he does step away....would 2014 be the best draft class ever of KNOWN high quality NFL talent that all just (somewhat tragically) feel off?

1) Ryan Shazier
2) Stephon Tuitt
3) Dri Archer
4) Martavis Bryant

Even Wesley Johnson hung around the league for 5-6 years. Big Dan McCullers was a good pick for a 6th rounder who stuck in the league for 7 years. 

Like Senquez Golson is easy to understand. We never got to see him to know if he could play in the NFL or not. We SAW those 3 do big things in the league....and now, gone. 

It was a really good draft...just extenuating circumstances caused it to turn bad.

Shazier should be leading our defense right now...his unfortunate situation caused the Bush trade up which was further compounded by him looking to be a bust.

Tuitt is still in his prime but may be gone.

Bryant leaving caused the Claypool pick which is looking 50/50 right now.

• Like 1