Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

On 11/9/2017 at 2:31 AM, riceman80 said:

HB - No free agents at RB but i wouldnt mind seeing Lynch go one and done. The next couple drafts are gonna be loaded at RB and id like too see us spend our 2nd rounder on one. Guice and Michel are 2 i like in the 2nd. Id love Chubb but def think he's going in the 1st.

Even if Lynch isn't cut, I'd be more than hopping drafting a RB within the first 2 days of the 2018 draft. I'd add Damien Harris to the list of names in consideration.

WR - Color me as one of the guys who wants to see Seth Roberts go but i doubt we do anything at WR other than maybe draft a late round prospect. Jester Weah(Pitt) maybe.

The team could cut Roberts without spending much capital on a replacement. I'd rather see Cooper more in the slot, anyways.

OT - Bigtime need that i could see our 1st round pick going to. Penn's getting old and RT is a sore spot. Even if they think Sharpe has a future we still need to add more talent. Trey Adams, Mike McGlinchey, and Martinas Rankin are my top 3.

Interesting top 3. I haven't done any game watching on the top tackles in this class, but the consensus currently seems to be: Orlando Brown Jr., Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey.

DE - Autry is a UFA and could care less if we resigned him. This is my top position of need. Mack(who expect will get his mega deal before week 1 next year) kills himself every game trying to make this defense look good and he needs help bad. Only potential free agent pass rusher is Ziggy Ansah but he could be tagged and hasn't produced well lately either. I'd say spend 2nd or 3rd on one in the draft. 

Right now, this would be my #1 need heading into the offseason. Ansah would be a nice nab but I'm not sure the team could afford him without major roster restructuring. I'm a Harold Landry fan.

DT - A high need imo and one id like to see us fill in free agency. I hope we re-sign Jelly but lots of good interior guys should hit the market. Sheldon Richardson, Kyle Williams, and Timmy Jernigan are a few id love to have.

Lotulelei should hit the market, too. Team will certainly need veteran depth if both Ellis and Autry walk.

LB - Really hope we re-sign Bowman. He's a great leader and mentor for all the youth we have. Cowser, Luster, and Calhoun are all ERFAs so they should be back. I dont think this is an overbearing need if we re-sign Bowman. I would like to juice our corps up tho. Id love to see us pounce on one of the Eagles LBs as they'll likely have to choose between keeping Kendricks or re-signing Bradham but that might be spending too much money. If not in FA, Jerome Baker, Skai Moore, and Tegray Scales are a couple mid rounders i like.

We'll see how the unit finishes the year. Some on here have been talking up Corey James but I don't consider him a sure-fire long term option. Linebackers tend to come cheap and I hope the Raiders can get a deal on someone like Kendricks.

CB - Whole group needs a massive overhaul. Cutting Smith and Amerson would save 14 mil, which id happily see us do, re-sign Carrie and McCray, and go after Trumaine Johnson, Prince Amukamara, or Malcolm Butler. I'd be comfortable with one of those 3, Conley, Carrie, McCray, and McDonald/a late rounder(Deatrik Nichols, Jaylen Dunlap).

I'd be shocked to see Johnson hits FA but I like the class as a whole. I think Butler will get paid beyond what the Raiders can give but Amukamara and Claiborne might be within striking distance. I also Vontae Davis and Kyle Fuller quality bargains. 

S - How i can't wait to see Nelson and McGill go. Obi and KoJo are the future. Luani i think could be a nice backup. A cheap veteran backup would be nice to help mentor the young guys tho, maybe a Tavon Wilson, Bradley McDougald, or Corey Graham.

Co-sign.

Updated prognosis:

Starting cap: $4,118,154

Cuts:

Bruce Irvin - $8,250,000 savings

Sean Smith - $8,250,000 savings

David Amerson - $6,000,000 savings

Re-sign:

E.J. Manuel - 2 years, $2 million (Case Keenum comp)

Demetrius McCray - $1 year, 500k (training camp body, developmental depth)

T.J. Carrie - 3 years, $15 million (Casey Hayward comp)

Draft cap: $5 million

Ending cap: $20,118,154

Here who I think returns next year, and what needs will need to be address with FA or Draft

QB: Carr, ???, Cook

RB: LYNCH, Washington, Richard, hood

FB: Olewale

WR: Cooper, Roberts, Holton

WR: Crabtree, Patterson, ????

TE: Cook, Walford, ????

T: Penn, Sharpe, Newhouse, ???

G: KO, Jackson, KirklanD Alexander

C: Hudson, Feli

DE: Mack, Edwards, ????, Calhoun

DT: ????,  Vanderdoes, Hester/Ward, ????

OLB: Irvin, James, Cowser, Morrow/Luster

MLB: BOWMAN, Lee

CB:  AMERSON, ????, Mcdonald/Hamilton

CB: Conely, ????

S:  Joseph, Obi, Luani, ???

Needs in no order: Backup QB, RB, WR, TE, T, DE, DT, CB, MLB, S

Could also bring back: L Smith, T Carrie, N Bowman, D autry but I wouldnt break the bank

These starters need to prove themselves the next few weeks- Lynch, Robers(slot). Newhouse, Amerson, James, Vanderdoes

if I had to project

1- LT of Future

2- Pass Rusher

3- RB

Free agents

CB, DT

On 11/14/2017 at 11:44 PM, Humble_Beast said:

Needs in no order: Backup QB, RB, WR, TE, T, DE, DT, CB, MLB, S

Could also bring back: L Smith, T Carrie, N Bowman, D autry but I wouldnt break the bank

These starters need to prove themselves the next few weeks- Lynch, Robers(slot). Newhouse, Amerson, James, Vanderdoes

if I had to project

1- LT of Future

2- Pass Rusher

3- RB

Free agents

CB, DT

As it currently stands, corner is my #1 need, pass rusher #2, and linebacker #3. Penn can still contribute for another year and I'd draft another later round guy in 2018 to see if he and Sharpe can develop into something. Even though it's not in my top 3, I'd draft a RB early if I liked the prospect enough.

4 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

As it currently stands, corner is my #1 need, pass rusher #2, and linebacker #3. Penn can still contribute for another year and I'd draft another later round guy in 2018 to see if he and Sharpe can develop into something. Even though it's not in my top 3, I'd draft a RB early if I liked the prospect enough.

I just don't trust Reggie drafting CBS... rather just sign a vet at corner

6 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I just don't trust Reggie drafting CBS... rather just sign a vet at corner

Filling a need doesn’t have to be through the draft. I’d prefer a vet corner in FA + one drafted in the first 3 rounds. I’d really like a pass rusher in round 1.

9 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

^Agreed. Pass Rusher is our #1 need. Pass rush has been pathetic for too long. It's time to help out Mack.

I want Bradley Chubb out of NC St but not sure if we'll be in a position to go get him.

Chubb is almost going top 5 for sure. I’d keep an eye out for Key and Landry.

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'd hold on to Amerson one more year if we aren't able to find someone better. He's still young and he's shown good play before. Smith is outta here though.

So far his one decent season has been a career outlier. He’s been mediocre to very bad otherwise.

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

So far his one decent season has been a career outlier. He’s been mediocre to very bad otherwise.

A lot of his "bad" plays have come against Tyreek Hill. I can't really fault him for how terrible Reggie Nelson is. I also would want to see if he could do more with a different staff, as this one seems woefully inadequate.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

A lot of his "bad" plays have come against Tyreek Hill. I can't really fault him for how terrible Reggie Nelson is. I also would want to see if he could do more with a different staff, as this one seems woefully inadequate.

Another thing to consider is what kind of DBs we'd even want with a new staff.   Maybe we'd go back to quicker CBs like Hayden was supposed to be.

Archived