Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

8 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Back on topic: who's on board cutting all three of Smith, Amerson, and Irvin? I think both Smith and Irvin are safe cut projections but Amerson wouldn't cost much to keep ($2.5 million). Still, he's not a very good player and the entire secondary could use a makeover. If all three are cut we're looking at a $22,500,000 savings. With that money Reggie could lure Ansah if he wants him and sign at least one veteran corner the same caliber or better as Amerson.

I am and i'd use a bit of that money to bring Carrie back.

Smith is an easy cut.

Irvin made a career out of his freakish athleticism which is probably gone at this point.

I'd keep Carrie over Amerson and we'd probably save a bit in the process.

Irvin is safe..... 

I say the easy cut is Sean Smith... bring back Carrie at a decent figure.. let jelly walk Nelson retirement 

still on the fence on Vanderdoes Corey James Amerson Bowman

thats 7 new defensive starters and you want to create another defensive hole by cutting Irvin 

i think Vanderdoes and James come back as starters in 2018 but in a new scheme. Amerson 50/50

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Irvin is safe..... 

I say the easy cut is Sean Smith... bring back Carrie at a decent figure.. let jelly walk Nelson retirement 

still on the fence on Vanderdoes Corey James Amerson Bowman

thats 7 new defensive starters and you want to create another defensive hole by cutting Irvin 

i think Vanderdoes and James come back as starters in 2018 but in a new scheme. Amerson 50/50

Im not sure Irvin is safe iirc his guaranteed money is up he can’t beat OT’s around the edge anymore dare I say he’s JAG at this point 

2 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

Im not sure Irvin is safe iirc his guaranteed money is up he can’t beat OT’s around the edge anymore dare I say he’s JAG at this point 

Pretty much. They need to upgrade the pass rush. Irvin's value for his price tag isn't worth it. Time to get younger and cheaper at pass rusher.

Id bring back Amerson, hes still young enough, and who knows how much an even slightly below average safety could help him. 
Ive been a big get rid of Nelson for a while, even last year with his 5 INTs or whatever, the guy has no speed and cannot help outside the numbers. The guy is useless.

I think Conley, Amerson / draft vet, and Carrie is good enough. Obviously this is hoping Conley can show why he was a top pick. 

I also think playing so far off the line can be tough of CBs, you are flat footed by the time the WR gets to you. Amerson will be 26 next season, should stil have his speed, we dont need to be giving up these massive cushions. But again, i think they do this because they have no safety help. JDR has preached limiting the big play. and the CBs are playing afraid of getting beat, but CB is such a mental thing, you cant be scared to play it IMO.

Lastly, pass rush and LBs have been invisible (outside of mack) so i think any non elite CB would get exposed in our system.

We arent going to be able to fix all our problems on D in one off season, and I think going heavy on front 7 again would pay off better then going heavy in secondary i guess is my point. 

41 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Id bring back Amerson, hes still young enough, and who knows how much an even slightly below average safety could help him. 
Ive been a big get rid of Nelson for a while, even last year with his 5 INTs or whatever, the guy has no speed and cannot help outside the numbers. The guy is useless.

I think Conley, Amerson / draft vet, and Carrie is good enough. Obviously this is hoping Conley can show why he was a top pick. 

I also think playing so far off the line can be tough of CBs, you are flat footed by the time the WR gets to you. Amerson will be 26 next season, should stil have his speed, we dont need to be giving up these massive cushions. But again, i think they do this because they have no safety help. JDR has preached limiting the big play. and the CBs are playing afraid of getting beat, but CB is such a mental thing, you cant be scared to play it IMO.

Lastly, pass rush and LBs have been invisible (outside of mack) so i think any non elite CB would get exposed in our system.

We arent going to be able to fix all our problems on D in one off season, and I think going heavy on front 7 again would pay off better then going heavy in secondary i guess is my point. 

We need to draft Bradley Chubb.

3 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

He wasn’t even a pass rusher on the Seahawks, last year was a odd year for him. We blitz him a lot because we had no one else besides Mack.. i also think improving pass rush will make the dbs better 

24 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

He wasn’t even a pass rusher on the Seahawks, last year was a odd year for him. We blitz him a lot because we had no one else besides Mack.. i also think improving pass rush will make the dbs better 

We don’t really blitz him on our scheme; he’s supposed to be the complimentary edge rusher opposite Mack. Unfortunately, he applies little pressure and is only effective as a run defender.

I think he’s either a cut or restructure; he’s not worth the $8+ million he’s getting in 2018.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

So does every other team in the NFL. Unfortunately, the Raiders won't be drafting high enough to get him.

I don't know, It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the raiders where picking top 5. There isn't too many locks to win this season. I can see this team for sure losing 2-3 more games, the games against NY DAL DEN and LA can go either way. They aren't beating KC and Philly contrary to what people might think. No way Philly benches their players at week 16 with Minn and NO breathing down their necks.

If the Raiders end up with a top 5 pick I'll be a very happy man.

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Actually if the DBs could cover for more than 2 seconds I think we'd see an increase in sacks but that's just me.

Been saying it, Bruce Irvin is not a pass rusher but is being paid like he is one. He was brought here to help out Mack and he has failed miserably. His whole career, people looked at Irvin's speed, size and athleticism and automatically assumed he'd be a good pass rusher but he never developed into that. Much to Irvin's dismay, Seattle was correct in using him the way they did.

I'm in favor of him not being on the team next year. He's a solid all around player but not good enough in any one area to warrant keeping him at his current contract.

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

I don't know, It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the raiders where picking top 5. There isn't too many locks to win this season. I can see this team for sure losing 2-3 more games, the games against NY DAL DEN and LA can go either way. They aren't beating KC and Philly contrary to what people might think. No way Philly benches their players at week 16 with Minn and NO breathing down their necks.

If the Raiders end up with a top 5 pick I'll be a very happy man.

Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Jackson, Mayfield - there will be alot of trading up and maneuvering at the top of the draft to secure some of these QBs imo. If we are picking top ten Chubb could very well be there

Archived