Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

55 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

Smith, Crabtree are the easy cuts. you can cut cook if the opportunity for another TE comes up (jimmy graham). wouldnt even mind giving Eifert a 1 year prove it deal and letting cook walk.

amerson actually has a reasonable cap number next season (the lowest on his whole contract). i think its worth bringing lynch back, since he got better as the year went on. we should have enough cash to hit a couple of needs. gotta draft DT and MLB early. also remember we basically didnt have our 1st and 2nd round picks from a year ago, that should give a big boost too

Why are fans constantly trying to cut good players. Cook was one of the most consistent skill players on offense this season.

Also, I'm against cutting Crabtree. He was easily the best receiver on a sad group this year.

I don't expect alot of guys to be waived... Coaching firing tells me, Mark believed the team is full of talent just the coaching was lackluster.... I was right last year with the cuts Howard, Williams.. 

I can't believe want Cook. He might have been the most impressive receiver out of all WR and TE. New coordinator and Cooks better numbers.. Need to fix holes, not create new ones

Guys I could see cut/released : 

Sean Smith- plays well when used to his strength. matched up with big possesion wideouts.. Gets paid like an all pro, so I would cut him..Lacks the speed

Amerson- is still young, but are the concussions truly an issue? He has had a bunch and one the field gets burned

Crabtree - not sure what is going on behind the scenes with Crabtree 

On 29/12/2017 at 3:52 PM, Rich7sena said:
On 29/12/2017 at 3:08 PM, BABPITT said:

I was trashing Sean Smith in the beginning of the season, but since about week eight he been our best corner hands down and.Not only have he been our he been top 5 in the league.I wouldn't be mad if he's cut but I don't think it's gonna be a easy

I disagree he's been the team's best corner. He's done his job well: deep 3rd and man under on the perimeter. But he hasn't been as important to the team or good as TJ Carrie, who plays the toughest position in the secondary at a high level.

I also (obviously) disagree he's been a top 5 corner in league. One of the reasons his targets are so low is because teams who throw his way often have to throw in double coverage. He's also seen favorable matchup against bigger, physical receivers with backup quarterbacks throwing to them in 2/3 games.

I was a Smith truther last year and I echoed a lot of the sentiments in the video you posted coming into the season. I wouldn't mind bring Smith back on a restructure, but I definitely wouldn't want to pay him the $9 million he's owed in 2018.

I'd agree with most of this - at times this season it's felt like a witch hunt on Smith and as I've been saying all year long he's a system CB, play him in bump and run man coverage and let him get his hands on the guy and he's good (though agree he's not top 5 CB good), play him in soft zone and match him up against speed guys and you're exposing him. He's probably not worth quite his starting salary but I'd definitely be keen to bring him back - Pagano has IMHO shown that CB is not an urgent need for this team. I believe 3 of Smith, Amerson, Conley and Carrie will be a good CB trio and Conley looks the real deal even in limited action to me. I would possibly let one of Smith/Carrie/Amerson go but I feel our defensive backfield has been let down by the scheme and coaching. John Pagano has shown us that over the course of the last few weeks.

Gruden used to sign former high picks from other teams, a lot. In 09 I think it was he signed Kellen Winslow II from Cleveland, before that he had that huge TE Alex Smith that TB drafted. Barrett Ruud was a star on the Buccs at LB during the end of Gruden's reign I remember, as the aging SB vets were retiring or being phased out like Derrick Brooks and Ronde Barber. He also took character risks in the first with Aqib Talib (and Talib's risks realized irl under Gruden with the punching of the taxi driver and a shooting [no injuries]) so that scares me a little as Reggie's teams seem mostly clean cut great image off the field. Penn played for Gruden, so I think he gets at least another year beside  being extended for familiarity both in our line and with the likely new staff. Michael Bennett was another late Gruden pick, and I could see that being sort of a profile at DE that Gruden could look for in FA or the draft to add to our line. Another has been to FA for Gruden was Antonio Bryant, but I think Crabtree could fit this profile. I definitely expect aged vets to be brought in escpecially guys that were good prospects that just didn't quite see their potential get realized after their rookie contracts.

Star Lotouleilei, NT
Jordan Matthews, WR
Donte Moncrief, WR
John Brown, WR
Kony Ealy, Edge
Aaron Lynch, Edge
Jeremiah Attachou, Edge
Christian Jones, MLB
Morris Claiborne, CB

I could see any of those being someone Gruden looks at

I want Bowman back. He's gonna be a year off the Achilles and deserves a 2 year deal IMO. He's been fantastic, barely missing tackles, getting guys in position, and being in the right place at the right time. I'm not saying he's an all pro, but he's a good starter at a position where they aren't relatively available. Even with Lee, James, and Morrow, I wouldn't be opposed to investing in a very good linebacker prospect, but we should also keep Bowman if he wants to be here and it's reasonable (goes without saying)

The other 2 I'd like are Autry and Carrie. Both have done well, especially considering that Carrie's job will be easier next year with Conley back. Price obviously matters, but I'd hate to let Autry go after seeing him get hot in the 2nd half of the season. He looks like an ascending player to me.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I want Bowman back. He's gonna be a year off the Achilles and deserves a 2 year deal IMO. He's been fantastic, barely missing tackles, getting guys in position, and being in the right place at the right time. I'm not saying he's an all pro, but he's a good starter at a position where they aren't relatively available. Even with Lee, James, and Morrow, I wouldn't be opposed to investing in a very good linebacker prospect, but we should also keep Bowman if he wants to be here and it's reasonable (goes without saying)

The other 2 I'd like are Autry and Carrie. Both have done well, especially considering that Carrie's job will be easier next year with Conley back. Price obviously matters, but I'd hate to let Autry go after seeing him get hot in the 2nd half of the season. He looks like an ascending player to me.

I wholeheartedly agree about Bowman abut his impact and the sort of deal. He is a priority resign.

Autry, Ellis and Carrie are all guys that I think played well in a contract year. You never know if you can trust it. I think you make reasonable offers to all of them and if they want to test the market then you let them know you want a call to possibly match. Even with bring all 3 back, I think their positions will be position that need to be addressed in the off season so if you can keep some continuity and depth at a decent price it would be smart.

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

4 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I wholeheartedly agree about Bowman abut his impact and the sort of deal. He is a priority resign.

Autry, Ellis and Carrie are all guys that I think played well in a contract year. You never know if you can trust it. I think you make reasonable offers to all of them and if they want to test the market then you let them know you want a call to possibly match. Even with bring all 3 back, I think their positions will be position that need to be addressed in the off season so if you can keep some continuity and depth at a decent price it would be smart.

Couldn't agree more.  Especially with Autry -- he keeps getting better every year.  I'd love to hold onto him as long as the price is right.

47 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Bowman is a must re-sign. He was simply very good for us and an incredible upgrade over what we have had in prior seasons. Hell he is still only 29! Not old whatsoever and well worth a 2-3 year investment imo.

If we let Bowman walk for a fair offer, I'm gonna lose it. Especially when we pass on the best available linebacker again :S .

13 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

.  Especially with Autry -- he keeps getting better every year.  I'd love to hold onto him as long as the price is right.

After seeing the contract that Stacy McGee got last year after only a couple brief flashes in his career, I won't be holding my breath on getting Autry back at something reasonable.

Archived