Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

Irvin wouldn't be a scheme fit in a balanced 4-3 unless he moves to the second level. I don't think he's worth his $8+ million price tag if he moves.

I disagree on Crabtree>Dez. I believe Dez is still a top 10-15 receiver in the NFL and could benefit with Carr's play style. Is he a potential locker room distraction risk: yes. But he's also very talented. Even if he's only here for 2-3 years, he wold legitimately raise the ceiling of the offense.

Starting corners would be: Amukamara, Conley, and Carrie.

Patterson would be the 3rd receiver after Bryant and Cooper.

These weekly mocks I do are just that: mocks. They're meant to introduce new names to the free agent/draft conversation. No need to take them so seriously.

i'd take crabtree at his salary over dez at his salary. and then you throw in a 3rd round pick too? nah.

To me there will be some really interesting questions after the staff is finalized.

How much of an overhaul will Gruden want?

Will he want to really twist the roster big time or will he just try to coach them up?

It will be interesting...what he think about the current guys, how they fit in his scheme...

If you watched closely Kyle Shannahan got players for his 49ers offense, whom could mimmick his Falcons offensive players's roles.

So when Gruden and Olson draw up their scheme, they will decide not only whether player A or B is talented, good kid, but also whether he is a system fit or not. Also pretty much how the Pats work...

With that said we might let Crabs walk, because they feel that his role can be played by a younger, cheaper guy...then again they can decide that he is needed for them, but the way Rich Gannon talked about Crabs in one of the last games I would suspect that Crabs is gone...not that Gannon known anything back then, but he pretty much know what Gruden asks and how he values players...Crabs may be too much of an ego player with this Talib story, with these selfish comments after the last game etc...

I think Gruden will simplify the offense in many ways, while make it much more difficult to read for defenses...pretty similarly what McVay did, who is a Gruden/Shannahan guy basically.
I think we will scheme WR's open more, so Crabs finess won't be needed that much. I think Gruden will try to retool the WR spot with younger guys, whom will get simple instructions.

Seth Roberts with his quaranteed money and with his blocking could stay. Gruden likes to use RB/FB screens if I'm correct and a good blocking WR is usefull in an offense like that. 
CP also could, should stick not just as a KR. He could have some pretty good packages as WR/OW IMO.
We will have to see who gets to FA market among the WR's Olson has coached over the years...he could offer great insight on guys like: Sammy Watkins, Marqise Lee, Allen Robinson
There could also be out really good system guys for us IMO: Taylor Gabriel, Kendall Wright, Donte Moncrief, Ryan Grant, Paul Richardson

It will also be interesting to see what they do with the RB position. In Kaufman or Garner Gruden used to have a smaller, fast, quick guy and he complemented them with guys like Wheatley, Crockett. One could say typical thunder and lightning...
-It will be interesting whether they keep Lynch or not?
-How much they value The Smurfs?
-What they think about Hood?
I expect us to move away from Lynch and his salary, go after a not so shiny veteran like Carlos Hyde or even a guy like Jeremy Hill, maybe Alfred Morris if the Dallas RB coach really joining Gruden. See what they can do and go after a rookie if the opportunity presents itself. If Latavius Murray gets cut with Cook back to 100%, we could make a move in him as well IMO...

I think we are set at FB and TE (with or without Lee Smith)...I might be too high on Walford tho...

I think we won't sign or cut any OL before the draft. I think Penn will get his chance to be the LT and Sharpe will get a chance to battle with Newhouse and Vadal for the RT spot. The interior is set. With that said we could pick some OL in the draft, but Reggie usually do that anyway. 

The defensive roster, FA will be party up to the new DC IMO. I think Gruden wants a DC (Guenther, Bradley) who can run the D basically alone and he just have to talk about gameplans, tactics. The 4-3 base is a sure thing IMO. Gruden always used that and both of the mentioned DC candidates are 4-3 guys. With that said there are major differences in those 4-3 schemes and the biggest question mark will be Irvin's role/place and the DB duties.
If I'm correct (but please help me out here) Guenther uses a more traditional 4-3 with 4man DL pressure, while Bradley runs that 4-3under we are kinda familiar with, where the SLB is basically and EDGE rusher. 

I think right now Guenther is the favorite for the spot, so the question is there: What to do with Irvin?
If you make him a SLB with traditional LB duties in base packages I'm not so sure about his salary...obviously we will be in nickel and dime a lot, where he can play EDGE like before, but we saw that he was much more effective in Pagano's scheme, where we let him rush the passer more.
RDE could be an option, since he played that in his rookie year and there is not too much of a difference between ROLB and RDE, but that would be a questionmark anyway. Run def would be an other question with his smaller size as a full time DL...Guenther likes to move around his guys and rotate, so he could really use Irvin well IMO, the question is whether we pay that much for him.
Irvin could get cut easily IMO...which might not be too much of a problem for Mack and for his leader role, since Irvin was pretty vocal next to him...
The problem here is that I'm not sure Edwards or Autry can play LDE really effective in this scheme...Edwards would be good against the run for sure, but I woulnd't count on his pass rush too much, which would make us again a one man show with Mack...if we go that route, we better get a good interior rusher at DT for the Geno Atkins role...
Vanderdoes just hurt his ACL on his previously injured knee, so I think most of 2018 is a questionmark for him...we should count him out IMO...
Hester showed promise, but it would be pretty weak to expect him to improve enough and to back him up with Ward...
Sheldon Richardson could be an option here, but I think we want to go draft here to get a cheap impact guy.
Star Lotululei could be a replacement if Justin Ellis leaves IMO.
Chris Smith is a player, who could follow PG from the Bengals as an EDGE depth/rotational piece, if they are not high on Calhoun or Cowser IMO.

I think Bowman can stay and keep that MLB spot ahead of Lee in this scheme. With that said a rookie who can surpass him (and Lee) could be added. SLB will be interesting, I'm not really familiar with how the Bengals use their SLB. Maybe M.Lee can be used there, not sure. We could definately use a new LB, especially if Irvin is let go or moved to DL. A rookie who can play SLB early and take over MLB with a 1 or 2 under his belt? Could be an option IMO. At WLB I think the James-Morrow battle could be good enough.
Kevin Minter could be an option at LB, however he wasn't too good in '17 under PG, but at least he would be familiar with the scheme...

In the secondary I believe we would have a man heavy aggressive approach, which could be a great fit for Conley and could fit Amerson or Smith too. There will be some early decisions to make at CB, since Amerson's salary will turn into guaranteed early March, so if they want to dump him they should do it fast. I'm not sure Smith did enough late under Pagano to save his spot with that salary. Carrie will be an interesting question...he did well for us, but he is just an average-solid CB...hopefully RM can bring him back on a solid deal. I would bring back Carrie, keep Amerson or Smith (based on my DC's request) and draft a CB in the early rounds (2-4).

At safety I think PG will use a more balanced left-right S approach rather then the single high Cover 1, cover 3 teams, which could be good for the Karl, Obi, Shalom trio.
Before PG's name was thrown in I was certain that Nelson will be gone, but he might just get a new 1 year deal to help implementing the scheme...we will see...
Also we will see how much they value Karl, Obi and Luani...if they do like them we can skip the draft, but if they don't we need S help early.

i wonder if crabtree's chances of sticking goes up with Gruden, though. I know his philosophy and playbook has evolved since he was last coaching, but he preferred chain moving route runners with YAC ability... which is what Crabtree still represents, drops notwithstanding. while cutting him seems to be a foregone conclusion, our frightening lack of depth to replace him should be noted

there's usually plenty of turnover with a new regime, but i'm curious to see what happens with marshawn and crabtree

while Lynch is no charlie garner, gruden had years where Tyrone Wheatley was his lead back. even featured Michael Pittman at some point in tampa. it's going to be a fascinating offseason

I think Crab is worth keeping around, as has been stated, he is a chain mover and we need some of them. I take the point about drops, but that has been a theme of our offense this year - Cook was the only reliable target we had.

I sometimes think Crab gets a raw deal with regard the 'me-me' thing. IIRC the comments he made after the Chargers game were just born of frustration, having gone 6-10 on a season where we were tipped for success, but to be honest, I kind of like that he is pissed with how the season went, everyone of the 53 should be also because I know I am disappointed.

As for the chain thing, after Talib did it the first time there was commentary (I don't think on this board) that Crab was weak - I won't use some of the terms that were used at the time. Second time he reacts and he is selfish. The problem for Crab is he cannot win whatever he does - soft or selfish?

On Free Agency, I would concentrate on defense, defense, defense. In particular I think the D-line needs to get better, we need a D-line where double-teaming Mack is just one possible strategy, and if you do, the other guys are gonna make you pay. I am not saying these players will be available, but my top two targets in FA would be Ziggy Ansah (no way the Cowboys let Lawrence into FA coming off a 14.5 sack season) and Sheldon Richardson (along with a Mack mega-contract obviously), keep Ellis or obtain a replacement as the run-stuffer and you have a starting D-line of:

Mack - Ellis - Richardson - Ansah

Then draft Linebacker in the first (I am coming round to Ro'quan Smith) & Corner in the second. Our offense has pretty much all the talent it requires - they just need to execute like they did in 2016! And Gruden will hopefully be the catalyst for that improvement. The only offensive free agent that would entice me would be Jarvis Landry (though I guess he will be tied up before free agency as well)

I would cut Nelson (age), Irvin (likely not a scheme fit) and Lynch (we can get a cheap young back to get that production) for sure. Smith and Amerson are very scheme dependent. If we are going to play a lot of press and let them get their hands all over the receivers then they are valuable, if on the other hand we are going to play a lot of zone or put Smith on one side where OCs can match up Brandin-Cooks-type players on him, then we might as well cut them. I think we cut one of them anyway as Conley was presumably drafted to be a starter and both have a sizeable contract. 

Targets I see 

RB: Hyde, Jerick McKinnon - really like him as a player 

WR: J Landry, Josh Gordon, Allen Robinson, Sammy Watkins, Marquis Lee- great fit, Terrelle Pryor, Donte Moncrief, Paul Richardson, John Brown, Jordan Matthews, Willie Snead,  Danny Amendola, Taylor Gabriel

T: Ja'Wuan James, Cameron Fleming, Chris Hubbard

DE/Edge: Ezekiel Ansah, Trent Murphy,  Kony Ealy, Dion Jordan ,  Aaron Lynch, Kareem Martin, Dee Ford, Barkevious Mingo, Jerry Attaochu, Connor Barwin

DT: Sheldon Richardson, Dontari Poe, DaQuan Jones, Bennie Logan, Haloti Ngata, Xavier Williams ,  Beau Allen, Star Lotulelei, Tom Johnson,  Brent Urban

LB: Hopefully bring back Bowman

CB: Malcolm Butler, Rashaan Melvin, Trumaine Johnson,  Prince Amukamara, Kyle Fuller,  Darqueze Dennard, Ross Cockrell, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Aaron Colvin, Justin Coleman, Bashaud Breeland, Terrance Mitchell, Tramaine Brock, Byron Maxwell

S:  Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid, Tre Boston, Tyvon Branch, Bradley McDouglad,  Terrence Brooks, Jairus Byrd, Nate Allen - could use a cheap vet for depth

I don't think Raiders will be aggressive in free agency but I could see 3-4 value contract at positions of need. 

13 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Targets I see 

RB: Hyde, Jerick McKinnon - really like him as a player 

WR: J Landry, Josh Gordon, Allen Robinson, Sammy Watkins, Marquis Lee- great fit, Terrelle Pryor, Donte Moncrief, Paul Richardson, John Brown, Jordan Matthews, Willie Snead,  Danny Amendola, Taylor Gabriel

T: Ja'Wuan James, Cameron Fleming, Chris Hubbard

DE/Edge: Ezekiel Ansah, Trent Murphy,  Kony Ealy, Dion Jordan ,  Aaron Lynch, Kareem Martin, Dee Ford, Barkevious Mingo, Jerry Attaochu, Connor Barwin

DT: Sheldon Richardson, Dontari Poe, DaQuan Jones, Bennie Logan, Haloti Ngata, Xavier Williams ,  Beau Allen, Star Lotulelei, Tom Johnson,  Brent Urban

LB: Hopefully bring back Bowman

CB: Malcolm Butler, Rashaan Melvin, Trumaine Johnson,  Prince Amukamara, Kyle Fuller,  Darqueze Dennard, Ross Cockrell, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Aaron Colvin, Justin Coleman, Bashaud Breeland, Terrance Mitchell, Tramaine Brock, Byron Maxwell

S:  Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid, Tre Boston, Tyvon Branch, Bradley McDouglad,  Terrence Brooks, Jairus Byrd, Nate Allen - could use a cheap vet for depth

I don't think Raiders will be aggressive in free agency but I could see 3-4 value contract at positions of need. 

So the "targets you see" are every guy who's name you recognize  who are FA's?  

14 hours ago, big_palooka said:

So the "targets you see" are every guy who's name you recognize  who are FA's?  

hahaaaha, bro you are so funny..... 

On a serious not I'll talk to you like a man.. why do you add by even writing that, think before you type so you don't sound like a 12 year old..Man up..I added players that could help my favorite team the Raiders... end of the story, I'm not here to fire shots at people  

8 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

hahaaaha, bro you are so funny..... 

On a serious not I'll talk to you like a man.. why do you add by even writing that, think before you type so you don't sound like a 12 year old..Man up..I added players that could help my favorite team the Raiders... end of the story, I'm not here to fire shots at people  

Well for starters focus your thoughts perhaps..... Your posts are a shotgun list of names with no rhyme or reason to the actual role, impact, system fit, etc. You take zero account of salary caps and how you could even fit players in, etc.  

And lastly your affinity for long run on lists reminds me of a certain poster who continues to circumvent the ban hammer.

It's also important to identify guys who might be cut/traded. There may be a large exodus from the Seattle Seahawks including older but still productive players: Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Kam Chancellor, and most notably Richard Sherman. All have outs in there contract in 2018.

Archived