Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

25 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Patterson was a waste of money. How much is he making? 6 or 7 million... imagine signing a stud defensive starter for that money. Patterson is a flashy and talented, but a luxury. He made a couple of big plays, but just a hand full. Hell, we had jaydon mickens for dirt cheap and now is a stud for the jaguars 

He returns 1 punt for a TD and he's "a stud for the Jaguars" now? The hot takes with this fan base are ridiculous. 

Patterson is among the league leaders in KR average. Excellent funner on STs. He's made some explosive plays on offense. If Downing wasn't such a boob I'd dare say he'd have even more of an impact there. He's a good player. 

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Patterson was a waste of money. How much is he making? 6 or 7 million... imagine signing a stud defensive starter for that money. Patterson is a flashy and talented, but a luxury. He made a couple of big plays, but just a hand full. Hell, we had jaydon mickens for dirt cheap and now is a stud for the jaguars 

Other than returning that punt for a td stud seems a bit strong

Quick cap prognosis with some probable re-signings and cuts:

Starting cap: $4,118,154

Re-sign:

E.J. Manuel - 2 years, $2 million (Case Keenum comp)

Demetrius McCray - $1 year, 500k (training camp body, developmental depth)

T.J. Carrie - 3 years, $5 million (Casey Hayward comp)

Cuts:

Sean Smith - $8,250,000 savings

Marshawn Lynch - $2,250,000 savings

Draft cap: $5 million

Ending cap: $6,418,154

In this scenario, I'd probably cut Amerson and sign either Davis or Fuller for around $2.5-$3 million a year.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Let Walk:

Nelson - Past the expiration date. Great leader, but with Obi, Luani coming up no need to resign.

McGill - No value added, you can find depth/ST players elsewhere

Janikowski - Nothing but respect and admiration for this man. I will tear up when he leaves, but have to get younger and think long term

Resign:

Smith - Inexpensive and adds toughness you want.

Ellis - Like McGee before him, if another team wants to overpay, let them. But he's a good rotational player

Carrie - Still young, plays focused and is the teams best open field tackler. He has a role here

Manuel - Solid backup. Cook looks like a 1 contract player. Maybe has some trade value at some point.

Autry - Like it here, solid role player. Underrated to some degree

Bowman - Replace leadership role voided by Nelson. Good 2 down LB and great for a young unit. 

TBD:

Amerson - Hard to say 'cut him' when the CB depth is so poor. Only 25, let's see if a new DC (please football gods, let there be a new DC) can reignite him. He has skills but playing down like a number of players this season.

Smith - Easy cut. Overpaid and struggling. 

Lynch - Good story, but c'mon.... he's not the guy he was and the Raiders are thirsty for lead back. They screwed up IMO bringing him in when the RB class was so robust. Obi better be a star, because I was banging the table for Kamara from day 1 and he's becoming a legit weapon in NO. 

Penn - He's serviceable, has another year on his deal. Unless there is value in moving on, 1 more year is okay. But find a younger depth player.

The only way we let Beast walk next year is if we draft a back in the first 2 rounds. Same with Penn.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

The only way we let Beast walk next year is if we draft a back in the first 2 rounds. Same with Penn.

I agree, he may not be vintage Lynch but he still can be productive. Lets be honest this was a PR move and Lynch is as good as Murray was last year. Perhaps a slight upgrade, but there are more pressing needs on this team. It's painfully obvious that neither Richard nor Washington can be productive starters so unless there's a guy already in place I say let Lynch play out his contract.

23 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I agree, he may not be vintage Lynch but he still can be productive. Lets be honest this was a PR move and Lynch is as good as Murray was last year. Perhaps a slight upgrade, but there are more pressing needs on this team. It's painfully obvious that neither Richard nor Washington can be productive starters so unless there's a guy already in place I say let Lynch play out his contract.

I agree with you but I wouldn't even call it a PR move because that puts it in the light that the team pursued it for that purpose. The reality is that Lynch made this happen whether that is the public perception or not. Now, was it great for PR? Yes. But the good status of the team allowed this move to fall in the Raiders lap.

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Sounds good to me. There will be a plethora of back in rounds 2-3 next year again. Penn could be serviceable for another year in a pinch. Let him walk on his own terms.

F it....can we just go all in on Barkley? Dude would make this offense explode. He's got so much Tomlinson to his game. 

Just now, big_palooka said:

Sounds good to me. There will be a plethora of back in rounds 2-3 next year again. Penn could be serviceable for another year in a pinch. Let him walk on his own terms.

F it....can we just go all in on Barkley? Dude would make this offense explode. He's got so much Tomlinson to his game. 

If we are picking top 3 I say, "hell yeah, take Barkley!", for all the reason you said.

I wouldn't let Beast walk for anything less than a bell cow guy and IMO it's very rare you get that in the 3rd-7th rds. A HB that can be used in a committee is the type you're most likely gonna find in the mid rds. Might as well let Hood get some juice box time if we're gonna go that route.

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

If we are picking top 3 I say, "hell yeah, take Barkley!", for all the reason you said.

I wouldn't let Beast walk for anything less than a bell cow guy and IMO it's very rare you get that in the 3rd-7th rds. A HB that can be used in a committee is the type you're most likely gonna find in the mid rds. Might as well let Hood get some juice box time if we're gonna go that route.

Yeah he meant trade what ever picks it takes to get him.

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Yeah he meant trade what ever picks it takes to get him.

Depending on the price, I would be down for that. He is one of the few players this year that looks like a transcendent talent. And if Reggie is gonna get 2 or 3 comp picks like it looks like he may be willing to move up for a difference maker like that. I just have a feeling it would take a ton to move up from the teens, where our pick fall currently, to the top 3. Always a risky proposition.

8 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Quick cap prognosis with some probable re-signings and cuts:

Starting cap: $4,118,154

Re-sign:

E.J. Manuel - 2 years, $2 million (Case Keenum comp)

Demetrius McCray - $1 year, 500k (training camp body, developmental depth)

T.J. Carrie - 3 years, $5 million (Casey Hayward comp)

Cuts:

Sean Smith - $8,250,000 savings

Marshawn Lynch - $2,250,000 savings

Draft cap: $5 million

Ending cap: $6,418,154

In this scenario, I'd probably cut Amerson and sign either Davis or Fuller for around $2.5-$3 million a year.

I wanted to bring this scenario back up and pair it with potential draft picks in the upcoming draft.

If the team goes Carrie>Ellis, nose tackle will be a need. I happen to be a big Vita Vea and Da'Ron Payne fan going back to last year. I have no really idea where either are going in the draft.

If Lynch gets cut, I'd be all in on taking Darrius Guice in the first round.

QB - We're set with Carr and Cook as a developmental #3. Id imagine we could re-sign Manuel around the vet minimum on a 1-2 year deal to stay the backup.

HB - No free agents at RB but i wouldnt mind seeing Lynch go one and done. The next couple drafts are gonna be loaded at RB and id like too see us spend our 2nd rounder on one. Guice and Michel are 2 i like in the 2nd. Id love Chubb but def think he's going in the 1st.

FB - Maybe like to see us give Olawale an extension in the offseason. Next year is his contract year, should be cheap, and i like his versatility for our team.

WR - Color me as one of the guys who wants to see Seth Roberts go but i doubt we do anything at WR other than maybe draft a late round prospect. Jester Weah(Pitt) maybe.

TE - Im happy with Cook. Really seems to be finding his stride. We either re-sign Smith or find a new blocking TE. I hope for re-signing him. I hope we dump Walford and maybe bring Pharoah up from the PS.

OT - Bigtime need that i could see our 1st round pick going to. Penn's getting old and RT is a sore spot. Even if they think Sharpe has a future we still need to add more talent. The free agent market looks bleak so the draft would def be where to look. Trey Adams, Mike McGlinchey, and Martinas Rankin are my top 3.

OG - Nothing needed here. We're set with Osemele and Jackson and Alexander and Feliciano backing them up.

C - Hudson is a stud. Nothing needed here.

DE - Autry is a UFA and could care less if we resigned him. This is my top position of need. Mack(who expect will get his mega deal before week 1 next year) kills himself every game trying to make this defense look good and he needs help bad. Only potential free agent pass rusher is Ziggy Ansah but he could be tagged and hasn't produced well lately either. I'd say spend 2nd or 3rd on one in the draft. 

DT - A high need imo and one id like to see us fill in free agency. I hope we re-sign Jelly but lots of good interior guys should hit the market. Sheldon Richardson, Kyle Williams, and Timmy Jernigan are a few id love to have.

LB - Really hope we re-sign Bowman. He's a great leader and mentor for all the youth we have. Cowser, Luster, and Calhoun are all ERFAs so they should be back. I dont think this is an overbearing need if we re-sign Bowman. I would like to juice our corps up tho. Id love to see us pounce on one of the Eagles LBs as they'll likely have to choose between keeping Kendricks or re-signing Bradham but that might be spending too much money. If not in FA, Jerome Baker, Skai Moore, and Tegray Scales are a couple mid rounders i like.

CB - Whole group needs a massive overhaul. Cutting Smith and Amerson would save 14 mil, which id happily see us do, re-sign Carrie and McCray, and go after Trumaine Johnson, Prince Amukamara, or Malcolm Butler. I'd be comfortable with one of those 3, Conley, Carrie, McCray, and McDonald/a late rounder(Deatrik Nichols, Jaylen Dunlap).

S - How i can't wait to see Nelson and McGill go. Obi and KoJo are the future. Luani i think could be a nice backup. A cheap veteran backup would be nice to help mentor the young guys tho, maybe a Tavon Wilson, Bradley McDougald, or Corey Graham.

ST - Tavecchio is an easy re-sign as a ERFA and i like continuity with special teams so i'd like to see Condo brought back. I hope Jano retires as i don't wanna see him anywhere but Oakland.

In short i'd like to see...

Resign Manuel, Smith, Jelly, Bowman, Cowser, Luster, Calhoun, Carrie, McCray, Tavecchio, and Condo.

Let walk, trade, or cut Lynch, Walford, Ward, Amerson, Smith, Nelson, McGill, and Jano.

Sign a top tier CB, above average DT, and a cheap veteran S. Add a decent LB if we can make it work with the cap.

Extend Mack and Olawale

Draft OT in 1st, RB/DE in 2nd, RB/DE in 3rd, LB in 4th, CB/WR/LB in 5th-7th.

Archived