Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

I’m good with everything except Dez. Rather keep the pick and use it for a wr, cb, or other position of need. I’m not sure Dez is much of an upgrade over crab at this point. He would also be more expensive and bring more headaches. I’d rather sign a guy like Pryor, moncrief, or Allen Robinson. I’m really warming up to guice if we move on from lynch.

32 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

I’m good with everything except Dez. Rather keep the pick and use it for a wr, cb, or other position of need. I’m not sure Dez is much of an upgrade over crab at this point. He would also be more expensive and bring more headaches. I’d rather sign a guy like Pryor, moncrief, or Allen Robinson. I’m really warming up to guice if we move on from lynch.

Dez has gotten a lot of undue hate, in my opinion. To me, he's like a supercharged Crabtree and a perfect fit for Carr's play style. He'd also be a great compliment to Amari Cooper. It's also clear he gets the utmost respect in the redzone where he sometimes will still get put-style coverage.

Further, it's unlikely a 4th round pick will be an early contributor, if a contributor at all. I'm certain Bryant will be a key contributor right away.

7 hours ago, Rolni said:

Let Lynch retire.

Get Crowell or Hyde.

Draft a RB in the middle rounds.

Let The Smurfs, the rookie and Hood battle for the #2 and #3 spots.

I like that approach.

Another name I'd add that I would consider is Chris Ivory. IMO he's a prime cut candidate for the jags. No dead cap after this season and he was a stop gap for Fournette to take over completely in 2018 and Yeldon available to take over the compliment role. He's not sexy but steady. Would pair well with a rookie I think 

7 hours ago, Rolni said:

Let Lynch retire.

Get Crowell or Hyde.

Draft a RB in the middle rounds.

Let The Smurfs, the rookie and Hood battle for the #2 and #3 spots.

53 minutes ago, StocktonSav said:

I like that approach.

Another name I'd add that I would consider is Chris Ivory. IMO he's a prime cut candidate for the jags. No dead cap after this season and he was a stop gap for Fournette to take over completely in 2018 and Yeldon available to take over the compliment role. He's not sexy but steady. Would pair well with a rookie I think 

I do too. Especially with the class that is out there. Some guys that aren't even getting hype yet that may go in the 3rd-5th. This class is deep.

If you look back at the last 3 classes of Rbs, the disappointments inside the top 5 rds are few and far between and I think that trend continues.

4 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

Guice runs with violent intentions man.

33 minutes ago, Rolni said:

With Tom Cable back as OL coach, we might just keep Lynch after all...

Ian Rapoport‏@RapSheet
The #Raiders have agreed to hire former #Seahawks OL coach Tom Cable, source said. Big hire.

That was the first thing that I thought and it was really cemented after reading those articles about how his scheme is a ZBS but for big athletic guys like we have.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/4/18/2954139/on-tom-cable-and-the-offensive-lines-identity

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/7/27/3187907/on-tom-cable-and-the-offensive-lines-identity-part-ii

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/11/15/3647910/zone-blocking-scheme-seahawks-tom-cable-marshawn-lynch

2 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Also in the articles they mention FB and double TE usage...this was mentioned before for Gruden, so it seems like there is a match there

3 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Also in the articles they mention FB and double TE usage...this was mentioned before for Gruden, so it seems like there is a match there

Yup, I dropped an comment on Olawale's Instagram to get ready for those snaps he's been wanting. I can see us drafting a TE in the middle rds as well.

I could see us picking up Troy Niklas in FA. He has draft pedigree (2nd round TE) and football pedigree (Matthews family) that disappointed on his rookie contract (staying healthy), that would not cost much, and the expectations for health would be lower given he'd be behind Jared Cook. He has experience playing second TE with Gresham. ARI has coaching changes so he may not feel a large market for his services. Reminds me of Gruden getting Kellen Winslow II for Tampa draft pedigree (6th pick), football family (his dad is Kellen Winslow from SD), then had the broken foot year 1 and motor cycle injury year two for the Browns, then break out season (what Niklas lacks, but he is still young), and then the staph infection his final year. Then Gruden pounced on his potential in trade (opposed to FA for Niklas) for the TE position.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yup, I dropped an comment on Olawale's Instagram to get ready for those snaps he's been wanting. I can see us drafting a TE in the middle rds as well.

Would love to see an H-back type to develop on day 3. Dimitri flowers from ou is a personal favorite

1 hour ago, StocktonSav said:

Would love to see an H-back type to develop on day 3. Dimitri flowers from ou is a personal favorite

He is the only one worth looking at this draft with a pick. All the rest are UDFA.

But Olawale has all those skills already IMO and is already signed to an extension for us so I probably would double up there.

2 hours ago, Trojan said:

I could see us picking up Troy Niklas in FA. He has draft pedigree (2nd round TE) and football pedigree (Matthews family) that disappointed on his rookie contract (staying healthy), that would not cost much, and the expectations for health would be lower given he'd be behind Jared Cook. He has experience playing second TE with Gresham. ARI has coaching changes so he may not feel a large market for his services. Reminds me of Gruden getting Kellen Winslow II for Tampa draft pedigree (6th pick), football family (his dad is Kellen Winslow from SD), then had the broken foot year 1 and motor cycle injury year two for the Browns, then break out season (what Niklas lacks, but he is still young), and then the staph infection his final year. Then Gruden pounced on his potential in trade (opposed to FA for Niklas) for the TE position.

Tight end is not a need, though. Also, Niklas never was a good receiving prospect. He's more of a blocking TE.

If Smith and/or Anderson is cut (I think at least one, if not both, is gone) I would like us to take a look at Vontae Davis. He would be a nice stop gap insurance as a starter while we see what we have with Conley. I think he would be a reasonable price given his age and the fact that he opted not to resign after getting cut and instead had season ending groin surgery. I think his recent poor performance was the byproduct of injury and he still has something left in the tank. Thoughts?

Would still need to address the other corner spot whether another FA, draft or resigning Carrie. 

Archived