Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

54 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't think he needs to be replaced.

Ok. They are talking about getting younger and adding someone that is also a blocking TE, like Smith, who is a FA.

He may not need to be replaced but he does have to be resigned. If the younger guy is cheaper or comparable then it's not a bad thing.

5 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yup, I dropped an comment on Olawale's Instagram to get ready for those snaps he's been wanting. I can see us drafting a TE in the middle rds as well.

I might be alone with this, but I still have faith in Clive Walford with the new staff.

19 minutes ago, Rolni said:

I might be alone with this, but I still have faith in Clive Walford with the new staff.

when cook was out he looked good and only guy who caught balls to him. everyone else was drops central

34 minutes ago, Rolni said:

I do too. I was more think about drafting someone to compete for the backup spot. The hole is at the #2/blocking TE since Smith is a FA. Plenty of options. Walford should have his shot to win the job no matter what we add.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

I do too. I was more think about drafting someone to compete for the backup spot. The hole is at the #2/blocking TE since Smith is a FA. Plenty of options. Walford should have his shot to win the job no matter what we add.

blocking TEs should be rather easy to find honestly. I'd draft bigger need spots and grab a TE off heap. UDFA or lower FA

1 hour ago, roi34 said:

blocking TEs should be rather easy to find honestly. I'd draft bigger need spots and grab a TE off heap. UDFA or lower FA

But if you want that TE to be more than just a blocking TE (which should be the goal), you're gonna need to expend some value. But also am not in favor of using a high pick or even a mid pick on a TE this year unless the value is just "can't miss" good.

If we move on from Lynch (although I'm personally all for keeping him), what are your thoughts on Doug Martin? Just turned 28, coming off a couple of tough years. I would imagine he is seeking a prove-it deal so he can get one more contract. If he's motivated and playing behind a good line, he could be a good fit. When he's been healthy, he's an all-around back. Can get the tough yards. Isn't a route runner but can catch about as well as Lynch.

Could be a cheaper alternative than other available FA names, if that's the route we go. He'd be a cheaper option than a guy like Carlos Hyde

39 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

If we move on from Lynch (although I'm personally all for keeping him), what are your thoughts on Doug Martin? Just turned 28, coming off a couple of tough years. I would imagine he is seeking a prove-it deal so he can get one more contract. If he's motivated and playing behind a good line, he could be a good fit. When he's been healthy, he's an all-around back. Can get the tough yards. Isn't a route runner but can catch about as well as Lynch.

Could be a cheaper alternative than other available FA names, if that's the route we go. He'd be a cheaper option than a guy like Carlos Hyde

Do not invest in aging RBs. Draft and develop. This class is stacked with RBs. They are cheap and you can get production out of them.

Barkley, Guice, Johnson, Michel, Chubb, Jones III, Freeman, Penny all would be an upgrade at the position.

no doubt we can upgrade with a first round pick. we can also upgrade at WR with a first round pick. or DT. or RT. or TE.

it could also make sense to draft one in the middle rounds like we did with Latavius and have a back who can play for one year without "investing" long term at all. Lynch is on a 2 year deal. Martin could likely be had for a short term prove-it deal. our run game on offense was FAR from the weakest phase of our game, so i dont see the urgency in spending a first round pick to try to address that area

1 hour ago, raiderrocker18 said:

no doubt we can upgrade with a first round pick. we can also upgrade at WR with a first round pick. or DT. or RT. or TE.

it could also make sense to draft one in the middle rounds like we did with Latavius and have a back who can play for one year without "investing" long term at all. Lynch is on a 2 year deal. Martin could likely be had for a short term prove-it deal. our run game on offense was FAR from the weakest phase of our game, so i dont see the urgency in spending a first round pick to try to address that area

Lynch is due nearly 6 million 

1 hour ago, raiderrocker18 said:

Nobody said spend a first round pick on a RB. Only way that happens is if Barkley is there. 2nd or 3rd round there will be a lot of value to take a RB. 

Lynch is due 6 million next season. He's not worth that and the Raiders can cut him and save 6 mil against the cap. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/oakland-raiders/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/marshawn-lynch-1166/

yeah, all i know is he was productive a year ago and got better as the season went along, so he's still got gas in the tank. at least with him, we KNOW we'd be getting above average production, rather than investing an early pick and banking on the unknown. i do think one of washington/richard should be cut, though. they're far too redundant. richard chips in with punt return duty but is also more fumble prone. but a decision should be made there.

yeah with lynch you'd be paying, but you'd be paying for the certainty/reliability

1 minute ago, raiderrocker18 said:

yeah, all i know is he was productive a year ago and got better as the season went along, so he's still got gas in the tank. at least with him, we KNOW we'd be getting above average production, rather than investing an early pick and banking on the unknown. i do think one of washington/richard should be cut, though. they're far too redundant. richard chips in with punt return duty but is also more fumble prone. but a decision should be made there.

yeah with lynch you'd be paying, but you'd be paying for the certainty/reliability

He'll be 32, so you really don't know that. There is no certainty in this.

I'd rather cut him. Save 6 mil and invest that in a vet CB, DE, DT, etc. And rid yourself of his celebrity at the same time is a bonus.

Bad business is keeping a 32 year old has been because "he's from Oakland". 

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He'll be 32, so you really don't know that. There is no certainty in this.

I'd rather cut him. Save 6 mil and invest that in a vet CB, DE, DT, etc. And rid yourself of his celebrity at the same time is a bonus.

Bad business is keeping a 32 year old has been because "he's from Oakland". 

i haven't mentioned the "from oakland" thing at all in any of my Lynch posts. i live in LA, so the oakland hometown thing never was a big factor for me.

the reason why i feel certain about lynch is because he got better as the year went along. that's not the sign of a player in physical decline. if anything its a sign of a player who was rusty and got in better and better shape throughout the season

Archived