Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Before it was Richard for me, but his fumbling problems are a major concern and I am leaning towards Washington now. 

Both don't offer more than a COP/depth RB though. We need a legit starter.

I’d say sayanora to both if we could get Jerrick McKinnon wonder what Minnesota does with him. Have to think Murray is odd man out 

i think they'll be priced out of mckinnon and will just bank on dalvin cook's recovery to be the every down guy. mckinnon has said he wants to be a feature back. aside from questioning his ability to be a featured guy (running between the tackles isn't really his thing), it also means he expects to be compensated as such.

i only see mckinnon making sense if the brass is sold on Hood as a guy who can handle the between the tackles work, because paying both lynch and mckinnon would be a bit much

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:
Not saying that I subscribe to this theory but very interesting. Would mean we freed up some money, Lynch is probably gone and a draft need is satisfied, at least until the late rounds.

Wouldn't be a big fan. Would cost a ton of money and the amount of touches he got the last two years kinda scares me. 

1 hour ago, raiderrocker18 said:

he's outside our price range. mack needs to get paid and we have to fill a lot more positions than starting RB

Reports are the cap is going to balloon up to $20 million next league year. While it would theoretically free up room for every team (including the Steelers) the Raiders should easily be able to free up room if they really wanted to sign Bell.

We also have to consider how suppressed RB contracts are right now. The top RB contract belongs to Devonta Freeman at $8,250,000 a year. That figure is less than Bruce Irvin's and Sean Smith's.

That said, I'm not taking Peter King's prediction seriously. Sites are already citing his tweet as a "report".

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

investing top dollar in a RB isn't smart business. 

Nope, invest a 2nd or 3rd round pick on one and have them cheap for 4 Years.  If they end up being a Gurley, Peterson, Bell etc then resign them, but I don’t like the idea of spending $10+mil on someone else’s RB.  It’s unfair to the RBs, but they are beat up more than any other position.

This isn’t to say I don’t want Bell.  I just don’t like the idea of getting into a bidding war for him.  If we can get him and it doesn’t kill our cap, great.  Mack getting $18+mil per year makes it hard to add a Bell in the same offseason, especially when we have quite a few needs plus this draft has a bunch of great potential RBs.

Bell in Gruden's system though would be something. Gruden is going to pull a lot of concepts from Saints and Rams offenses from what I've read. Similar philosophies there. And what do both those offenses have? An every down back who can catch out the backfield.

Personally, I'd just draft Sony and save the money. 

Im one of the few that subscribe to the idea of signing bell. I get the downside, but with the cap ballooning, well have enough to address what we need and sign bell. But instead of getting maybe two elite defensive players in free agency, wed only be able to get one if we choose to do so. Gruden with Carr of two years ago and bell and our oline would be a force. Greatest show on turf anyone?

As a rule, I am a draft a RB kinda guy rather than sign a FA. However, Bell is arguably the best RB in the league (or at least one of the best at his position) and he would suit the kind of stuff that Gruden would want - it does make it really tempting. 

I agree with these last couple comments. Is there some risk? Absolutely. But he certainly is a dynamic talent. Reggie is also smart enough to not let this get in the way of signing Mack and I’m sure Gruden realizes this as well. 

I do think it shows that the writing is on the wall for lynch. Gruden definitely wants a more versatile, game breaking rb. Even if we don’t get him, I think we are looking at an exciting offseason and a very different roster.

Archived