Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

4 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Another thing to consider is what kind of DBs we'd even want with a new staff.   Maybe we'd go back to quicker CBs like Hayden was supposed to be.

That's not a bad idea either. Thankfully, I think Conley can play any scheme and Carrie has solidified himself at the very least as a "decent" starter. We need to keep Amerson/bring in a free agent, AND draft a corner in the first 3 rounds. Minkah Fitzpatrick is my favorite DB. If we somehow land him, I'll be very pleased.

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

That's not a bad idea either. Thankfully, I think Conley can play any scheme and Carrie has solidified himself at the very least as a "decent" starter. We need to keep Amerson/bring in a free agent, AND draft a corner in the first 3 rounds. Minkah Fitzpatrick is my favorite DB. If we somehow land him, I'll be very pleased.

Dude I was literally just thinking that about those 2.  Conley can even play off man with his length and mobility. For crying out loud he's a press man CB who can't jam and STILL is successful haha.  Carrie is p versatile too. Can be a good 3, spot starter, and PR if we get sick of Richard.

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Conley and Fitzpatrick could be special. However, the lack of a pass rush wouldn't allow this to happen.

26 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Conley and Fitzpatrick could be special. However, the lack of a pass rush wouldn't allow this to happen.

I'm not sold of Fitzpatrick at corner. Tough to project this far away from the draft, but I'd much rather go after a guy like Jaire Alexander or Tavaris McFadden in round 2 after taking a pass rusher in round 2.

Raquon Smith in round 2 for me. Reminds me a lot of Levonte David. Been a beast for UGA this season.

Landry... I'm skeptical. Good player. Suspect against the run. Not a great pass rusher. His team mate, Zach Allen is a better player. Plays the run well, good first step on pass rush. Stronger.  

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Raquon Smith in round 2 for me. Reminds me a lot of Levonte David. Been a beast for UGA this season.

Landry... I'm skeptical. Good player. Suspect against the run. Not a great pass rusher. Late 1 early 2 for me right now.  

I disagree on Landry as a pass rusher (I don’t have an opinion on him as a run defender). Landry is very strong and flexible. He has both an inside and outside move and uses his arms and hands well enough for a collegiate player. Injuries have derailed his 2017 campaign but I saw enough of him in 2016 to trust his talent.

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Minkah Fitzpatrick is a safety. Are some suggesting draft him at corner?

He played corner in high school. Played corner as a freshman. Moved to safety last year because Eddie Jackson got hurt. At the sart of this year he moved back to corner until the other corners on the team could handle the position (they had only played nickel previously). Saban moves Fitz because he CAN play everywhere and no one else on the team can but he is best at corner, like it more and is more comfortable there.

Here is an article that goes into what I'm saying with more detail...

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/minkah-fitzpatrick-nick-saban-cornerback-spring-practice-alabama

6 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

He played corner in high school. Played corner as a freshman. Moved to safety last year because Eddie Jackson got hurt. At the sart of this year he moved back to corner until the other corners on the team could handle the position (they had only played nickel previously). Saban moves Fitz because he CAN play everywhere and no one else on the team can but he is best at corner, like it more and is more comfortable there.

Here is an article that goes into what I'm saying with more detail...

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/minkah-fitzpatrick-nick-saban-cornerback-spring-practice-alabama

Thanks. Wasn't aware of all this. Love Minkah's game. He's a baller. 

11 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I’m not sold Minkah is a natural corner. He seems to thrive when in the slot, in zone, and reacting against the run. He reminds me of Micah Hyde.

You just named the 3 things make him a GREAT natural corner. He has man coverage skills that aid him in the slot, is good in zone because he is very athletic and a student of the game and good vs the run because of his size and aggressive play style. Those things are also what makes him able to move from one DB position to another.

Archived