Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

4 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

He should be there in the 2nd round then. Pass rusher in the 1st, Minka in the 2nd. Bingo

Haha...he is going in the top 15. And I rounded down to top 15 from top 10(where I think he'll probable go) because anything can happen at the combine as Foster showed us.

1 minute ago, NightTrainLane said:

Haha...he is going in the top 15. And I rounded down to top 15 from top 10(where I think he'll probable go) because anything can happen at the combine as Foster showed us.

My response was to Rich that if Minka is what he says he is, that would put him in the 2nd round ballpark. No?

3 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

You just named the 3 things make him a GREAT natural corner. He has man coverage skills that aid him in the slot, is good in zone because he is very athletic and a student of the game and good vs the run because of his size and aggressive play style. Those things are also what makes him able to move from one DB position to another.

When I write in the slot I mean as an alignment and not necessarily man coverage. He’s a read and react player who I think is a better fit at safety. I don’t think he’d be more than slightly above average as a boundary corner.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Thanks. Wasn't aware of all this. Love Minkah's game. He's a baller. 

He reminds me of Jamal Adams and Jalen Ramsey as far as "caliber" of DB's and he's kinda like Malcolm Jenkins. He can play either safety position, or the slot with safety instincts/tackling.

We could just draft another first round corner, though I want to get Mack some help. God knows he needs it!

Back on topic: who's on board cutting all three of Smith, Amerson, and Irvin? I think both Smith and Irvin are safe cut projections but Amerson wouldn't cost much to keep ($2.5 million). Still, he's not a very good player and the entire secondary could use a makeover. If all three are cut we're looking at a $22,500,000 savings. With that money Reggie could lure Ansah if he wants him and sign at least one veteran corner the same caliber or better as Amerson.

9 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Back on topic: who's on board cutting all three of Smith, Amerson, and Irvin? I think both Smith and Irvin are safe cut projections but Amerson wouldn't cost much to keep ($2.5 million). Still, he's not a very good player and the entire secondary could use a makeover. If all three are cut we're looking at a $22,500,000 savings. With that money Reggie could lure Ansah if he wants him and sign at least one veteran corner the same caliber or better as Amerson.

Safe to say Smith is gone. Irvin is 50/50 at this point. Amerson is young and would project at CB 2 next year. You hope he bounces back. 

Sad we're STILL try to makeover the secondary. Defense certainly hasn't been Reggie's high point as a GM. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Safe to say Smith is gone. Irvin is 50/50 at this point. Amerson is young and would project at CB 2 next year. You hope he bounces back. 

Sad we're STILL try to makeover the secondary. Defense certainly hasn't been Reggie's high point as a GM. 

Well when the Raiders signed Sean Smith I’m sure they thought that him and Amerson would be lock down corners. It sure looked that way and no one would have predicted that they’d fall off a cliff. 

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Why do you want to sign Ansah again? I assume it because you haven't been following he closely (or at all) for the last 2 years.

17 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Why do you want to sign Ansah again? I assume it because you haven't been following he closely (or at all) for the last 2 years.

You know what they say about assuming...

1) I want the team to move to a 4-3.

2) Ansah would be an upgrade as a pass rusher over Irvin.

3) He would be a veteran buffer for a 1st round pass rusher.

Archived