Ravens Hire Former LB Coach/Michigan DC Mike Macdonald as Defensive Coordinator

Ray Reed

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Awesome. The Ryan brothers are losers who leveraged their father's name into countless opportunities they didn't deserve. Failure follows them everywhere. Good riddance.

Rex was an outstanding DC for us, and he made 2 AFC Championships with Mark Sanchez at QB off the back of his defense.

Was never impressed with Rob, though. And Rex post-NYJ wasn't great.

• Like 7

I'm totally aware that it's an unpopular take, but I just associate Ryan with bluster and consequent failure in key moments. Also, I don't think it's such an achievement to forge Top 5 NFL defenses when you have multiple HOF defenders and legit GOATs(in their prime) taking the field for you- on top of all the other great players within those defenses. Gus Bradley had much less overall talent to work with when the LoB was built. If anything Ryan underachieved during his time here. 

Don't like him personally either. The '"You don't understand my genius" defense after blunders like the 07 Pats timeout, the weirdo foot/cuck fetish stuff, trying to create some rivalry between us and the Jets, etc etc. He's valueless imo, and not some fond figure I look back on when enjoying Ravens' memories of yesteryear. 

Again, I'm aware I'm in the minority with this one though. Similar to my position that the Direct to DVD American Pie sequels were actually easily enjoyable offerings to the inimitable franchise. 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Well he and Wink were best friends so this sort of makes sense.

Also have to wonder if perhaps bringing in Rob was part of what led to the rumored issues within the locker Ravens building.

Wonder if this is all the movement we’ll see within the coaching staff or if there’s more to come.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Wonder if this is all the movement we’ll see within the coaching staff or if there’s more to come.

Something I'm curious about is how long John intends to be a HC. He turns 60 in September, and 2022 is the final year he's under contract for us.

I've only seen a couple of quotes from the recent press conference, but I can't say I'm overly enthused by the prospect of trying to continue the "make the QB guess where the rush is coming from" tactic if its going to look like what Wink was doing.  I'm becoming less convinced that that tactic actually works in the current NFL when you are facing such accurate QBs who also have the mobility to get out of the pocket and make plays with their legs.

But who knows how this will go.  Hopefully he's a success

I'm not so concerned about the blitz & confusion game at this point. Even Wink started dialing that stuff back against the better QBs. What hurt us more imo was the coverage lapses, lack of discipline, tackling issues, and some bad habits I think Martindale fell into. There's no reason Macdonald can't help us in those areas.

I'd also like to see him unlock some of our athletic rushers up front too. We don't constantly need Oweh & Bowser doing contain rushes against unathletic QBs, Madubuike should be given more one gap looks, etc etc. Little tweaks like that could lead to big on field impact. 

On 1/26/2022 at 3:31 PM, baltimoreRebel said:

One of the two will definitely be back between Calais and Williams. I expect Wolfe to be back healthy as he just had hip surgery. Folks have differing opinion on him but he's an elite run stuffer. 

I'd say Madibuike comes as advertised. He's a solid fldfenskve linemen who does things that don't always show up on the stat sheet. 

Queen was waaaaay more good than he was bad this year. Open field tackling remains his weakest point by far. Year 3 is normally the "aha" moment for ILBs. So let's hope for the best. 

Chuck Clark is a great leader but man he was a liability out there this year. Whether it was not having the supporting cast or not. I'd like to see him take a Co Cap role soon and just be on the field for a moderate amount of plays going forward and let Stephens grow slowly. 

I'd agree that there's a super defensive draft coming up and even a defensive heavy FA. Tyrann Mathieu is someone I assume EDC has admired for some time. He tried landing him last time he was a FA but he chose the Chiefs. If they don't go that route I wouldn't rule out a Chandler Jones or Von Miller type signing to play opposite Oweh. They could groom him and still be a force giving us a potentially hellish pass rush. 

Clark wears the green dot, he's going to be on the field just about every play.

That said, Clark is generally at his best playing up in dime sets (which lines up with the co-cap role, to some degree)

Ultimately, I think the offseason shakes out as follows:

• Obviously Clark, Stephens, and Stone back
  • Draft another safety (somewhere in first four rounds) - don't hate idea of one of the premier FA safeties, but not sure the money works
  • Jefferson back as the 5th safety on vet min, mainly playing in quarter and ST (very co-cap role) 

On 2/4/2022 at 8:08 PM, drd23 said:

I've only seen a couple of quotes from the recent press conference, but I can't say I'm overly enthused by the prospect of trying to continue the "make the QB guess where the rush is coming from" tactic if its going to look like what Wink was doing.  I'm becoming less convinced that that tactic actually works in the current NFL when you are facing such accurate QBs who also have the mobility to get out of the pocket and make plays with their legs.

But who knows how this will go.  Hopefully he's a success

I'm thinking it's less an emphasis on creating confusion regarding where the pass rush is coming from, and more an emphasis on what kind of coverage the LBs and secondary are in. 

I can't find the stat now, but I remember reading during the season that the Ravens were one of the least deceptive teams in terms of disguising their coverage. 

On 2/8/2022 at 10:51 PM, sp6488 said:

Clark wears the green dot, he's going to be on the field just about every play.

That said, Clark is generally at his best playing up in dime sets (which lines up with the co-cap role, to some degree)

Ultimately, I think the offseason shakes out as follows:

• Obviously Clark, Stephens, and Stone back
  • Draft another safety (somewhere in first four rounds) - don't hate idea of one of the premier FA safeties, but not sure the money works
  • Jefferson back as the 5th safety on vet min, mainly playing in quarter and ST (very co-cap role) 

Add honey badger to the mix 😂

Ramey out here recruiting for us.