Joe Thomas, Highest Paid OL in the NFL in 2018

RuskieTitan

Joe Thomas will be highest-paid OL in 2018 with new deal from Browns

The Cleveland Browns amended the contract of stalwart offensive tackle Joe Thomas this week, making him the highest-paid offensive lineman in the NFL in 2018.

The deal includes $3 million in new money over 2017 and '18, including a $1.5 million roster bonus paid this past week, plus a raise of $1.5 million in base salary for 2018, which will now be $10.3 million.

Factoring in his base salary and bonuses, Thomas is scheduled to take home $13.5 million in cash in 2018, the highest figure currently for any NFL offensive lineman.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21288182/joe-thomas-cleveland-browns-gets-new-deal-big-raise

Have to figure this is the Browns FO trying to entice Thomas to return after his injury and not walk away in retirement.

53 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Everyone says this, but it sounds like he just doesn't want to leave

Why wouldn't he want to chase a title in his career? It just won't happen in Cleveland. Not until long after he's retired. Meh.

In his consistently elite career he is 48-119 and hasn't played a single playoff game. Does he not even care about winning?

9 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Why wouldn't he want to chase a title in his career? It just won't happen in Cleveland. Not until long after he's retired. Meh.

In his consistently elite career he is 48-119 and hasn't played a single playoff game. Does he not even care about winning?

he loves cleveland and feels like leaving now would be to take the easy way out

5 minutes ago, mistakey said:

he loves cleveland and feels like leaving now would be to take the easy way out

There's nothing easy about leaving. Staying literally proves he doesn't care about holding the Lombardi trophy up some day... he's not exactly a young man anymore, he can't hope that the Browns become playoff contenders someday because that clearly won't happen overnight. Honestly if he really doesn't want to leave Cleveland, I don't think winning is a priority for him. Which may make him part of the problem with the culture of the Browns, tbh.

7 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

There's nothing easy about leaving. Staying literally proves he doesn't care about holding the Lombardi trophy up some day... he's not exactly a young man anymore, he can't hope that the Browns become playoff contenders someday because that clearly won't happen overnight. Honestly if he really doesn't want to leave Cleveland, I don't think winning is a priority for him. Which may make him part of the problem with the culture of the Browns, tbh.

smh

have you no concept of loyalty?

and joe thomas is in no way shape or form any place close to part of the problem with the Browns

1 minute ago, DingoLadd said:

Yay I guess? Don't know what the point is besides making sure Thomas is a little richer.

i can think of a couple of reasons

1. pay one of the best tackles in the league what he's worth to continue to show that we reward good play by our own players
2. get a good PR win in the local market after what can easily be described as a tumultuous week

57 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

You... I... I just don't know what to say.

Browns fans must not want to win either. In fact, you must not want to win either. Why don't you root for the Patriots then you can be a winner. I guess you just don't care about winning the ultimate prize. You might be part of the reason the Dolphins don't strive to be better, their fans create an acceptance of losing culture, tbh.

Sorry other Dolphin fans, just making a point that you don't always run away from failure you can work as hard as you can to turn it around and hope to become successful. Joe may want to take that route and it doesn't mean he is what is wrong with the organization and It seems incredibly silly to even think that.

54 minutes ago, mistakey said:

i can think of a couple of reasons

1. pay one of the best tackles in the league what he's worth to continue to show that we reward good play by our own players
2. get a good PR win in the local market after what can easily be described as a tumultuous week

Fair enough. I'd especially buy the 2nd one at this point though I'm still not sure the browns actually tried to trade for McCarron.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

yeah I totally agree...

One of the best linemen in the league,  one of the most professional players in the league (never complains, never misses a snap prior to this injury, and a future hall of famer is a part of the problem with the culture.

Archived