Do any of the current elite hitters have a chance to beat the single season HR record?

BullsandBroncos

Does anyone in your opinion have a chance to beat the HR record within the next few years and if so, who? Top choices in no order to me are

Vlad jr

Ohtani 

Devers

Tatis 

Alonso

don't think Harper will get close or Tatis Jr yet. 

Anyone else please drop a name and say why. Obviously this is just our opinions but who cares. I'd like to see what y'all think.

Edited by BullsandBroncos

Ohtani started too late IMO and wont be close.  He only has 93 career HRs and will be 28 this year.  If he hits 40 per year he would have to do that for almost 17 years.  

Vlad Jr would need to hit 45 a year for 15.3 years.  

Its pretty much an unattainable record IMO unless someone has a Tom Brady type career and plays until they are 43 like Aaron did and hits 40-50 a year from age 20 on.  Unless someone like Vlad or Tatis goes off and hits 55-60 for a 3-4 year stretch, I don't think we will see anyone get close.  

8 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Ohtani started too late IMO and wont be close.  He only has 93 career HRs and will be 28 this year.  If he hits 40 per year he would have to do that for almost 17 years.  

Vlad Jr would need to hit 45 a year for 15.3 years.  

Its pretty much an unattainable record IMO unless someone has a Tom Brady type career and plays until they are 43 like Aaron did and hits 40-50 a year from age 20 on.  Unless someone like Vlad or Tatis goes off and hits 55-60 for a 3-4 year stretch, I don't think we will see anyone get close.  

I meant season. Sorry for not clarifying 

2 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Season 

Since I took it as career and just answered no, I'll clarify why it's still no for a season. We have no current players with nuclear power in their bats that'll get enough good pitches to bomb. The pitching has gotten too good to where we rarely see 50 HR, let alone 73. There is nobody in the league currently that'll ever come within 15 of the record. I would say 20 but Alonso's already hit 53.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Since I took it as career and just answered no, I'll clarify why it's still no for a season. We have no current players with nuclear power in their bats that'll get enough good pitches to bomb. The pitching has gotten too good to where we rarely see 50 HR, let alone 73. There is nobody in the league currently that'll ever come within 15 of the record. I would say 20 but Alonso's already hit 53.

So would you say single season Ks which is a 140 year long running record Is easier now because the pitching has gotten better? 

I still think the HR season is more touchable than single season Ks

2 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

So would you say single season Ks which is a 140 year long running record Is easier now because the pitching has gotten better? 

I still think the HR season is more touchable than single season Ks

That record is held by a dude that pitched 583 innings. Most pitchers barely break 200 now. 

1 minute ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Didn't even realize that when I was just checking his page a few minutes ago 🤣 

that's untouchable now 

Sure. Entirely different era. Gotta go by K/9 to establish who the true strikeout kings are. Randy Johnson's 372 K in 249.2 Innings is, for me, the most dominant K season ever.

12 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Sure. Entirely different era. Gotta go by K/9 to establish who the true strikeout kings are. Randy Johnson's 372 K in 249.2 Innings is, for me, the most dominant K season ever.

I don't care what anyone says, Randy Johnson is the most dominant pitcher in my lifetime. What he was able to do through the age of 40 was unreal.

• Like 2