Do any of the current elite hitters have a chance to beat the single season HR record?

BullsandBroncos

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Gonna be like a longggg time. Bonds/McGwire were juiced to the gills those years. 

Bonds was also a substantially better hitter than anyone in baseball today 

When we have another version of Ted Williams with this physique, then maybe:

barry-bonds-home-run-dodger-stadium-2006

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 9:06 AM, mission27 said:

Bonds was also a substantially better hitter than anyone in baseball today 

When we have another version of Ted Williams with this physique, then maybe:

barry-bonds-home-run-dodger-stadium-2006

I love seeing late pictures of Bonds being so big he can't even wipe his own rear end but in the early-mid 90s he was a bean pole

Edited by BullsandBroncos

11 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The only reason it was broken the first time is because Bonds had a preternatural combination of the worlds greatest batting eye and otherworldly power. It takes more than one guy just getting hot for a few months, it requires otherworldly focus and hitting ability.

I've put more thought into this but Vlad Jr might be the one that could do it. He hit 48 last year and has a manageable K rate, which means he puts the ball in play. Now, obviously, 48 is much, much different than 74 but you get the point. He's probably going to cap at like 55 in a season so it's still a massive longshot and that just shows you how ridiculous Bonds was lol.

Vlad has the HR/FB rate needed to make a run but he needs to raise his flyball rate above 40%, at least, to even push 60. Adding on another 14? Yeah, not likely.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I've put more thought into this but Vlad Jr might be the one that could do it. He hit 48 last year and has a manageable K rate, which means he puts the ball in play. Now, obviously, 48 is much, much different than 74 but you get the point. He's probably going to cap at like 55 in a season so it's still a massive longshot and that just shows you how ridiculous Bonds was lol.

Vlad has the HR/FB rate needed to make a run but he needs to raise his flyball rate above 40%, at least, to even push 60. Adding on another 14? Yeah, not likely.

And that fact that Toronto isn't the best hitting park around but he does play a lot of games in New York and Boston.

Pitchers throw too hard now so contact is too difficult for 74 homers. Now factor the 7 inning games, the rest days, the defensive replacements, and so on. You also don't get to face starters a 3rd time through the lineup as often unless they are dominant.

Add in that you can't juice and its a negative for any HR records.

Getting rid of the shift might help a bit since more base runners increases the pressure to throw strikes to power hitters.

Edited by SkippyX

On 3/31/2022 at 4:36 PM, SkippyX said:

Pitchers throw too hard now so contact is too difficult for 74 homers. Now factor the 7 inning games, the rest days, the defensive replacements, and so on. You also don't get to face starters a 3rd time through the lineup as often unless they are dominant.

Add in that you can't juice and its a negative for any HR records.

Getting rid of the shift might help a bit since more base runners increases the pressure to throw strikes to power hitters.

I mean, do they really throw THAT much harder now? 

(serious question. Earliest I can remember is Pedro's last couple years on the Sox because I was just entering middle school.)

19 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I mean, do they really throw THAT much harder now? 

(serious question. Earliest I can remember is Pedro's last couple years on the Sox because I was just entering middle school.)

Yes

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=4&season=2021&month=0&season1=2000&ind=0&team=0,ss&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2000-01-01&enddate=2021-12-31&sort=3,d

• Like 1

Let me ask you all this without creating another thread- 

After having this discussion, do any of you consider the numbers that McGwire and Sosa put up in 98' and Bonds in 01 to be inauthentic? 

I personally don't because it wasn't illegal or tested for back then. Not to mention the steroids doesn't change the fact that what they did takes way more skill than just juicing. Can't comment on Sammy because I was young but I've seen footage of McGwire in the beginning of his career and watched some of his later on and he was already putting up great numbers and was huge. Said he didn't start taking them till right before the strike.