Broncos hire Nathaniel Hackett as HC

broncos67

1 minute ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Ah, yes. That really easy thing of finding the QBOTF 😄

I'd be fine with us going after Rodgers. 2 championships in a 10 year span is incredible. But if you do it and don't win a championship, prepare for the backlash.

Personally, I would be happy to give up what it takes to get Rodgers even to just be a title contender, even if it's just for a couple of years. 

yeah i would say I would be happy with both ... but passing up on an opportunity to land a real franchise guy (even old) for the chance to develop a prospect that statistically is unlikely to work out seems pretty silly to me

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

This suggests to me we are all in, Rodgers or bust.

I’d like to see a former HC get the DC job to run the defense and help Hackett as a sounding board for a rookie HC.

Mike Zimmer would be my top choice. 

The Pack losing assets should count against reasons for Rodgers to stay…could get interesting.

4 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I'd be fine with us going after Rodgers. 2 championships in a 10 year span is incredible. But if you do it and don't win a championship, prepare for the backlash.

Personally, I would be happy to give up what it takes to get Rodgers even to just be a title contender, even if it's just for a couple of years. 

I didn't say it would be easy, just prudent 😂

You're not winning a Championship in the AFC with Rodgers, of course that is just my completely unbiased opinion 😉.  Mahomes still owns the division, he'd have to contend with Herbert as well. And the AFC as a whole is a lot harder path than the NFC. 

Then there is the fact Rodgers is just a nut lately and very aloof about his career. It's should give at least a slight pause.

In any event, I can see the appeal of swinging for the fences with him. The fallout if he doesn't win it all would be major however.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Given the price being tossed around are 2 firsts and other parts that are expendable (Lock as a throw-in, 2023 3rd etc.) - easy decision.    

Either A-Rod or Wilson bring us into a legit sustained contender for the time they play - it’s longer with Wilson but the price will be higher.   I’m good either way.   

QBOTF is great when the opp is there - don’t see it this year.   Elite QB acquisitions when the roster is good are rare as hen’s teeth.   No need to overthink it.   If we miss on them we miss out - but it shouldn’t be for lack of trying at that price.  

Pretty exciting time to be a Bronco fan again.  Nothing is in the bag yet but hard not to be excited.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Given the price being tossed around are 2 firsts and other parts that are expendable (Lock as a throw-in, 2023 3rd etc.) - easy decision.    

Either A-Rod or Wilson bring us into a legit sustained contender for the time they play - it’s longer with Wilson but the price will be higher.   I’m good either way.   

QBOTF is great when the opp is there - don’t see it this year.   Elite QB acquisitions when the roster is good are rare as hen’s teeth.   No need to overthink it.   If we miss on them we miss out - but it shouldn’t be for lack of trying at that price.  

Pretty exciting time to be a Bronco fan again.  Nothing is in the bag yet but hard not to be excited.  

Hen’s teeth sure are rare

• Like 1

Just now, Scoundrel said:

Hen’s teeth sure are rare

Yup pulled that classic out.  

TB12 only wanted to go to Tampa.  Stafford only wanted to go to LA.  And Stafford isn’t at the same level as A-Rod or even Wilson.   Still elite but below both.    

Point being if an elite QB wants to come to DEN even if it’s “only” for a short 3-5 year window, with a good roster it’s a total gift.    It’s not like it the chance to get QBOTF / elite current QB grow on trees.    We may not end up with either but if we’re offered the chance at the prices discussed it’s a no brainer. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You're not winning a Championship in the AFC with Rodgers, of course that is just my completely unbiased opinion 😉.  Mahomes still owns the division, he'd have to contend with Herbert as well. And the AFC as a whole is a lot harder path than the NFC. 

Then there is the fact Rodgers is just a nut lately and very aloof about his career. It's should give at least a slight pause.

In any event, I can see the appeal of swinging for the fences with him. The fallout if he doesn't win it all would be major however.

I mean, Aaron Rodgers played at an MVP calibre level this year. We absolutely can with the AFC with him as our QB.

Favourites? No, definitely not. Mahomes and Allen will see to that. But we've competed with Mahomes and beaten Herbert with absolute dross at QB, never mind a player like Rodgers.

To be honest, I am more struggling with how annoying I've found his personality this year rather than his age. If we trade for him and he starts spouting, "in Green Bay we did this, in Green Bay we did that" then I will feel a fool for backing a move for him.

Anyway ..... This is the HC thread, not Rodgers :)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Beyond the Rodgers stuff though, this is the anti-Fangio in so many ways. High energy, positive, fun, beloved by players, new innovative approaches to teaching, offensive mind. 

To be clear even Quinn would have brought the other qualities in imo.   But the benefit if Hackett works out is you have the O mind overseer in place.   So you don’t worry about being poached.  

Like @lomaxgrUK mentioned we don’t know the full picture so it may end up that Hackett fails completely.   Or he may be exactly what we needed.   But it’s easy to say the direction is completely different.  

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The fallout if we pick a Rd1 QB and fail is we’re in purgatory for 3 years while we stay loyal to that guy.   

The fallout with A-Rod is we don’t win a championship despite his presence for likely 3+ years.   

The difference is the extra 1st and the extra $ paid.   Given the extra 1st is likely a 20’s if not 30’s pick, it’s a no brainer risk.     The extra $ cost  comes at a time when we’re built   cheaply in a lot of units because of the draft successes.    

If anything the time to be bold is now - not 2-3 years ago when our entire roster needed a talent infusion and an elite QB could not help, or 2-3 years from now when our 2019-21 draft guys get expensive / need to be extended.    That’s why the elite vet QB move fits perfectly because of where we’re at.  

Edited by Broncofan