Broncos hire Nathaniel Hackett as HC

broncos67

22 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Well aren't we a ray of sunshine this morning......

You don't know that he "certainly wants out". In fact, reports are his relationship with the GM have grown and he has more of a voice this season on the direction of the franchise. Teams always make the cap work with star players. Should be an interesting journey. 

Bottom line, he's closer to a championship in GB than he would be starting over in Denver. And he's smart enough to know that.

Also false.

Outside of the QB position, the rosters are largely comparable as we are. The Broncos have cap room to strengthen (even on top of paying Rodgers) and draft picks to expand (even if our first rounder and some change goes to GB, we’ll have 3-4 top 100 picks) whilst the Packers have only low picks and will need to cut several players and let Adams walk to make the cap. 

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I think this FO is ore tight lipped than people appreciate. Just because a hack like Albright was throwing **** at the wall (Quinn and Gannon the final 2!) doesn’t mean that Quinn was the forgone conclusion the entire time like people made it out to be. 

😂 It was pretty obvious he wasn’t getting any quality info on what was going on and just guessing. 

Did Quinn really not get his 2nd interview?? That’s shocking. 

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yup. Tell us more about how disappointing Hackett’s interview on Monday was, Allbright. 😂

Allbright pounding the drum that Quinn was The Guy is a huge L right now. For Paton to punt on his 2nd interview for Hackett really makes it seem like Quinn was never the front runner. 

Also, about the potential coordinator hires: anyone else at least a *little* skittish about having HC/OC/DC’s all with zero experience at those positions going forward? I’m not gonna  pound the table for a guy like Mike Zimmer at DC, but I also wouldn’t hate seeing Hackett bring in someone who’s been around the block at least a time or two. Hell, bring me Wade Phillips.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Did Quinn really not get his 2nd interview?? That’s shocking. 

Also, about the potential coordinator hires: anyone else at least a *little* skittish about having HC/OC/DC’s all with zero experience at those positions going forward? I’m not gonna  pound the table for a guy like Mike Zimmer at DC, but I also wouldn’t hate seeing Hackett bring in someone who’s been around the block at least a time or two. Hell, bring me Wade Phillips.

Definitely Quinn not getting the 2nd interview is surprising but I'm sure Paton and him spoke and both seem very professional so I'm sure no hard feelings, especially since Quinn has so many suiters.

As for your other point, I think it's a good one. Despite the high praise on those first timers, if that were to happen, it's a gamble..especially in the playoffs where really no one on our team would have that type of experience. 

Enter Rodgers.. If we get him, he automatically fills the area we are talking about. He's basically a seasoned head coach w plenty of playoff experience (even if he's disappointed to some degree). If we go the draft route though, I'd be more than skittish

Edited by Dbrog24

Excited about this. One thing about it: with the weapons we have on offense, if we land Wilson or Rodgers, it’ll be put up or shut up time. Zero room for excuses. Couple this with the fact that Ellis is finally on his way out, and things are looking way up.

Edited by 1234567
  • Like 4

I am reasonably pleased with the hire. Ultimately, the QB is going to decide how this hire looks in the long run. However, Paton did a long, thorough search and went away from the candidate everyone thought was the prohibitive favorite. That shows some flexibility and openness that was noticeably absent from previous searches. I am interested in seeing the staff Hackett puts together and how a reenergized offense looks on the field. However, make no mistake, the QB question is more important to the long term success than the coaching question