Broncos hire Nathaniel Hackett as HC

broncos67

30 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

There isnt a chance in hell this wasnt made with at least a small hope that it increases the desirability of Aaron wanting Denver. Even on merit along, removing Rogers, I like it. 

But I really think we end up with Rodgers. 

Of course. No decision like this is made in a vacuum. Rowles is trying to build a narrative on twitter that this wasn’t a thorough search, that we panicked to get whoever we could get whether he was our top choice or not. But let’s say he wasn’t our top choice: what happens if today, Hackett goes to JAX, and Quinn goes to CHI. Now all the eggs are in the KOC basket, and you’re stuck playing the waiting game. You’d better circle back to Gannon to have a backup plan in case KOC doesn’t accept. 

The point is, there are so many variables, including supply of desirable candidates, league-wide relationships, etc, and Paton’s goal was to make the best decision given *all* of those factors. And he might have! I certainly like it, as much as I can, knowing (as little) as I know. 

3 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Sure! Don’t know Evero at all. Hackett must have a good relationship with Stenovich, so that’s fine with me.

He's a damn good OL coach for Green Bay.  Really helped the young OL come through, and Billy Turner has played his best ball of his career under Steno.  He'd be a huge loss for Green Bay.  Not sure how much he's going to adapt outside of the OL, so there's that.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's a damn good OL coach for Green Bay.  Really helped the young OL come through, and Billy Turner has played his best ball of his career under Steno.  He'd be a huge loss for Green Bay.  Not sure how much he's going to adapt outside of the OL, so there's that.

Yeah, thought I read he was named ‘positional coach of the year’ by someone, which is certainly a real award that I knew was a thing before today. 

Just now, broncosfan_101 said:

Yeah, thought I read he was named ‘positional coach of the year’ by someone, which is certainly a real award that I knew was a thing before today. 

Most of thought there was going to be a huge drop off going from James Campen to Steno, but there really wasn't.  He's a bigger loss then Luke Getsy IMO.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I’m assuming he’d be the de-facto run game coordinator while Hackett is the play caller and passing game coordinator. 

I think it’s a safe bet that whoever GB can keep as OC between Steno and Getsy, the other guy will go to Denver. 

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

I’m assuming he’d be the de-facto run game coordinator while Hackett is the play caller and passing game coordinator. 

I think it’s a safe bet that whoever GB can keep as OC between Steno and Getsy, the other guy will go to Denver. 

That's probably fair.  But I also don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Hackett is going to poach someone from Green Bay either.  It's an easy link, so I get it.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's probably fair.  But I also don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Hackett is going to poach someone from Green Bay either.  It's an easy link, so I get it.

True. LaFleur’s offense isn’t Hackett’s offense, he could very well go back to his K-Gun roots. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

This is complete and utter nonsense.

Rodgers almost certainly wants out. The choice is trade him to his preferred suitor (given he has a no trade clause so he can waive any trade to an undesirable suitor) and take what they can get, or lose him to retirement.

They also desperately need his contract off the books for cap reasons.

I’m not saying we’ll get him for a ham sandwich but I think two 1sts and a bit of change gets it done. 

Rodgers does not have a no trade clause, we can trade him wherever we want. 

That said, think we all prefer it to be Denver. You can have the best WR in the league too, we'll tag him and add him to the deal. We'll just take a bunch of picks and Jeudy + Fant off your hands.

21 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That said, think we all prefer it to be Denver. You can have the best WR in the league too, we'll tag him and add him to the deal. We'll just take a bunch of picks and Jeudy + Fant off your hands.

How does GB shed $67M in cap to tag Davante Adams? If you designate guys as post June 1st cuts, do those cap savings still count right now? 

5 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

How does GB shed $67M in cap to tag Davante Adams? If you designate guys as post June 1st cuts, do those cap savings still count right now? 

Releasing Za'Darius Smith ($15.3M), Preston Smith ($12.5M), Randall Cobb ($6.9M), Mason Crosby ($2.4M), and Marcedes Lewis ($2.4M) gets the Packers to slightly above the salary cap.  You restructure Kenny Clark ($9.5M), David Bakhtiari ($8.2M), and you're only about ~$2M away from being able to create enough cap space to franchise tag Davante Adams.  That could be created by a NUMBER of different ways including an extension for Jaire Alexander and/or Adrian Amos as well as restructuring someone like Aaron Jones.

3 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Did Quinn really not get his 2nd interview?? That’s shocking. 

Allbright pounding the drum that Quinn was The Guy is a huge L right now. For Paton to punt on his 2nd interview for Hackett really makes it seem like Quinn was never the front runner. 

Also, about the potential coordinator hires: anyone else at least a *little* skittish about having HC/OC/DC’s all with zero experience at those positions going forward? I’m not gonna  pound the table for a guy like Mike Zimmer at DC, but I also wouldn’t hate seeing Hackett bring in someone who’s been around the block at least a time or two. Hell, bring me Wade Phillips.

I'd be happier if he left the D staff intact for a year. If they fail, fire 'em and move on. Hiring a guy just to do it bothers me a bit. 

45 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Releasing Za'Darius Smith ($15.3M), Preston Smith ($12.5M), Randall Cobb ($6.9M), Mason Crosby ($2.4M), and Marcedes Lewis ($2.4M) gets the Packers to slightly above the salary cap.  You restructure Kenny Clark ($9.5M), David Bakhtiari ($8.2M), and you're only about ~$2M away from being able to create enough cap space to franchise tag Davante Adams.  That could be created by a NUMBER of different ways including an extension for Jaire Alexander and/or Adrian Amos as well as restructuring someone like Aaron Jones.

According to Spotrac you're on the hook for $21 million for Clark and $22.7 million for Bakhtiari. You've already gotten the cheap years from both Dead cap for the two is $55 million. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

The reality is that GB is almost certainly going to trade him to his preferred destination, provided that said team & GB can find a mutually acceptable deal.   It's not going to be a massive hostage-taking by either side.    2 1sts, Fant and something like a Day 2 2023 pick, would be my prediction, with Lock thrown in as side piece (like throwing in a Day 3 pick, just adding small value as a guy to compete with Love for 1 year and give the veneer of due diligence/insurance).  Or if it's not Fant, then Sutton.    It's really unlikely to be players that can't be replaced within the team (Sutton is far better than Patrick, but they both play the same role).   Fant can be replaced by Albert O in the move TE spot. 

But we can save that trade talk speculation for the Main Forum A-Rod Fate thread lol.

Edited by Broncofan

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The reality is that GB is almost certainly going to trade him to his preferred destination, provided that said team & GB can find a mutually acceptable deal.   It's not going to be a massive hostage-taking by either side.    2 1sts, Fant and something like a Day 2 2023 pick, would be my prediction, with Lock thrown in as side piece (like throwing in a Day 3 pick, just adding small value as a guy to compete with Love for 1 year and give the veneer of due diligence/insurance).  Or if it's not Fant, then Sutton.    It's really unlikely to be players that can't be replaced within the team (Sutton is far better than Patrick, but they both play the same role).   Fant can be replaced by Albert O in the move TE spot. 

But we can save that trade talk speculation for the Main Forum A-Rod Fate thread lol.

Id be fine with the above for Rodgers, but if Adams comes with then Jeudy and some more picks need to be added, and honestly Adams erases the need for Jeudy within your organization anyway. Adams, Sutton, Patrick, Hamler is a top 5 group in the league no doubt.