Broncos hire Nathaniel Hackett as HC

broncos67

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Id be fine with the above for Rodgers, but if Adams comes with then Jeudy and some more picks need to be added, and honestly Adams erases the need for Jeudy within your organization anyway. Adams, Sutton, Patrick, Hamler is a top 5 group in the league no doubt.

Financially I think it’s more likely Sutton or Patrick would go back to GB.   Otherwise that’s a lot of $$$$ tied up in WRs

Just now, broncofan48 said:

Financially I think it’s more likely Sutton or Patrick would go back to GB.   Otherwise that’s a lot of $$$$ tied up in WRs

I just know both got extensions a few months ago, wouldn't the dead $$$ be more to move them than it is to keep them?

Once you have a Rodgers, your depth comes cheaper, the Snacks Harrison's, Whitney Mercilus, type vets follow to chase rings, and they do it on the cheap. Plus Elway leads a way more aggressive front office than our own as evidenced by the team you fielded with Manning. I'm sure the money would be tough to swallow in 5 years, but it'd work for 2-3.

18 minutes ago, 15412 said:

2 1's, 2 2's and a young cheap player who would play a role for us right away.

There will be other bidders....the Packers may not have all the leverage but they have the most of it by far.

Not so sure about this if Rodgers is willing to consider retirement (which he keeps alluding to)

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I just know both got extensions a few months ago, wouldn't the dead $$$ be more to move them than it is to keep them?

Once you have a Rodgers, your depth comes cheaper, the Snacks Harrison's, Whitney Mercilus, type vets follow to chase rings, and they do it on the cheap. Plus Elway leads a way more aggressive front office than our own as evidenced by the team you fielded with Manning. I'm sure the money would be tough to swallow in 5 years, but it'd work for 2-3.

Keep in mind, Patons on a 6 year contract. If he finds himself in cap hell with no QB he'll be out of a job in 5 years.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Rodgers does not have a no trade clause, we can trade him wherever we want. 

That said, think we all prefer it to be Denver. You can have the best WR in the league too, we'll tag him and add him to the deal. We'll just take a bunch of picks and Jeudy + Fant off your hands.

I think we would be just fine bringing Bortles back to Denver. 

4 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Did Quinn really not get his 2nd interview?? That’s shocking. 

Allbright pounding the drum that Quinn was The Guy is a huge L right now. For Paton to punt on his 2nd interview for Hackett really makes it seem like Quinn was never the front runner. 

Also, about the potential coordinator hires: anyone else at least a *little* skittish about having HC/OC/DC’s all with zero experience at those positions going forward? I’m not gonna  pound the table for a guy like Mike Zimmer at DC, but I also wouldn’t hate seeing Hackett bring in someone who’s been around the block at least a time or two. Hell, bring me Wade Phillips.

I agree but hopefully we at least keep Munchak and give him the AHC title. He can be the sounding board that Hackett needs. 

Put this in the QBs thread too but it bears repeating here.

Brandon Stokley just dropped some news on The Fan, he said he’s “close to someone inside the Broncos inner brass” who believes we will land Aaron Rodgers and DaVante Adams. If the team’s leadership apparatus believes that and I’ve read reports as well that there are other execs around the league who believe Aaron lands here, I think would at the very least pencil it in. 

26 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Not so sure about this if Rodgers is willing to consider retirement (which he keeps alluding to)

Rodgers will retire only if he doesn't like the offer from Green Bay to extend and he doesn't like any of the situations in a trade.  I think there will be multiple trade situations he will like, if he prefers that over what Green Bay will offer in an extension.  As far as retiring GB would accept that just fine, if that's what he really wanted.  He doesn't.

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

A SB buys him quite a long leash.

There’s that. 

But there’s also the fact that Paton is a very, very strategic thinker and will plan long term. Elway threw it all in to win a SB before Mr B died, and then, coupled with some mistakes with coach hires and in the draft/FA we ended up where we are now. And, as a fan, getting the four years we got with Peyton for the last 5 years of crap is a trade I’ll make any day. If we go all-in for Aaron for a 3-4 year window and then end up back in purgatory, fine. But I also think that (purgatory) is less likely given the way Paton approaches his job. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

when's the Hackett press conference going to be?

I’ve been trying to find out because with my CPA pass I can probably get a one day credential to cover it. I covered the Vance hiring presser, the Kubes hiring presser, the Kubes retirement presser and the Peyton retirement presser. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’ve been trying to find out because with my CPA pass I can probably get a one day credential to cover it. I covered the Vance hiring presser, the Kubes hiring presser, the Kubes retirement presser and the Peyton retirement presser. 

I'm trying to watch the whole thing it's pretty exciting to have offensive football back here.

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

A SB buys him quite a long leash.

I'll bet 50 posters have said the same thing. Obviously true, but realistically what are the odds? It's a very difficult thing to do but the implication is that getting Rodgers is somehow a guarantee it happens. 

Keep in mind, GB had Favre, then Rodgers for 30 years. In that time they appeared in 3 SB's and won two. Given the talent level in the AFC I'd say the odds of winning one with Rodgers are around 100-1.

A realistic appraisal is more like: 2-4 playoff appearances, nothing beyond a divisional PO game. Rodgers has never been a great PO QB.

That said, I'd love to have him. It just depends on the price. 

4 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'll bet 50 posters have said the same thing. Obviously true, but realistically what are the odds? It's a very difficult thing to do but the implication is that getting Rodgers is somehow a guarantee it happens. 

Keep in mind, GB had Favre, then Rodgers for 30 years. In that time they appeared in 3 SB's and won two. Given the talent level in the AFC I'd say the odds of winning one with Rodgers are around 100-1.

A realistic appraisal is more like: 2-4 playoff appearances, nothing beyond a divisional PO game. Rodgers has never been a great PO QB.

That said, I'd love to have him. It just depends on the price. 

What’s the alternative that in your mind improves those odds of winning a SB in the next 4-5 years? All you can really hope for is to be in the mix, there are no guarantees in playoff football. But you have to get there.