Steelers GM Kevin Colbert stepping down after draft

RaidersAreOne

22 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Not really. All it means is that they are promoting from within and it is one the recommendation of Colbert.

Maybe but he could still retire now and be a consultant if that were the case. I think it points more to an outside hire who wouldn't have time to personally assess the team needs prior to the draft.

Edited by Thomas5737

3 hours ago, iloxygenil said:

After the draft? Does that feel weird to anyone else?

Seems like the move for people who are really retiring/stepping back as opposed to those being pushed to do so in a way that may make them look to an opportunity with another team.

See: Ozzie Newsome 2018. As a rival fan, I hope his last draft does not turn out the same way. 

Like Ozzie, this is another HOF-level teambuilder stepping down. People downplayed it with the Ravens because the general thought was Eric DeCosta was going to step in, and he was part of the system for a while, so basically expect no change. A couple years in, I'm not down on DeCosta, but it's definitely not a given that he's a 100% replacement for one of the best to ever do it.

Edited by wackywabbit

1 hour ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Not really. All it means is that they are promoting from within and it is one the recommendation of Colbert.

This.

However, I wish they were bringing in someone else.

No one in this organization deserves to be promoted.   This team needs fresh eyes and ideas, not recycled garbage and undeserved promotions.

This team will likely be cleaning house in a few years, so whatever.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Maybe but he could still retire now and be a consultant if that were the case. I think it points more to an outside hire who wouldn't have time to personally assess the team needs prior to the draft.

Its more leaning towards an inside hire who he will walk through the process.   

I really hope its an outside hire, but doubtful.

18 minutes ago, 43M said:

Its more leaning towards an inside hire who he will walk through the process.   

I really hope its an outside hire, but doubtful.

From what I understand, Pitt has only had three de facto GM's after ARJ (Haley, Donahue, Colbert); all 3 were outsiders. 

Edited by biggie.