Steelers GM Kevin Colbert stepping down after draft

22 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If they interviewed those two and are still conducting outside interviews that’s not good for those two.

I think they have to via the new rules governing hires don't they? They have to check the same boxes of coaching in the executive side.

18 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I think they have to via the new rules governing hires don't they? They have to check the same boxes of coaching in the executive side.

Yea and no. Hunt and Khan are both minorities. So that’s checked. 

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yea and no. Hunt and Khan are both minorities. So that’s checked. 

I just googled it as I was coming in to post it I saw you messaged:

The rule has been expanded to require teams to interview at least two external minority candidates for general manager/executive of football operations positions, and all coordinator roles. Beforehand, the requirement was to interview one minority from outside a team for openings in those positions.

So, technically, Khan and Hunt checked no boxes. Another portion of the rule that has effect is that teams CANNOT deny access to interviews of any of their coaches/executives unless they have been designated the future GM through the Assistant GM title in contract. So Hunt and Khan couldn't be denied by the Steelers. 

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Something I found interesting about this, as it relates to the last time we talked GM's....

The news was announced today and they already interviewed their two internal candidates. 

So we get nothing if Hunt or Khan is hired by the Steelers?

28 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I just googled it as I was coming in to post it I saw you messaged:

So, technically, Khan and Hunt checked no boxes. Another portion of the rule that has effect is that teams CANNOT deny access to interviews of any of their coaches/executives unless they have been designated the future GM through the Assistant GM title in contract. So Hunt and Khan couldn't be denied by the Steelers. 

Interesting. That rule is so much more messed up than I thought it was. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

So we get nothing if Hunt or Khan is hired by the Steelers?

I don't think so. The wording of the rule state "who has been hired by another club".

(i) The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:
a. Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
b. If multiple clubs are awarded compensatory Draft picks pursuant to this Policy, then the order of those picks at the end of the third round will follow the original selection order for that Draft established prior to any trades or other adjustments.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

Would be pretty awesome if we got compensation for hiring internally though....but I don't think so. 

54 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Interesting. That rule is so much more messed up than I thought it was. 

Totally! The Steelers have two internal, minority candidates...one of which will likely get the job. But they still have to invite people to interview to check boxes. 

Hope they fly the dudes in for a really nice steak dinner at least. A box checking zoom would kinda suck.

I was thinking about Brandon Hunt going to Vegas -- even if that was just a box check or he tells him while he is there that he is the next Steelers GM, I mean....its an all inclusive to Vegas for a night. Who says no?!

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I don't think so. The wording of the rule state "who has been hired by another club".

Would be pretty awesome if we got compensation for hiring internally though....but I don't think so. 

Totally! The Steelers have two internal, minority candidates...one of which will likely get the job. But they still have to invite people to interview to check boxes. 

Hope they fly the dudes in for a really nice steak dinner at least. A box checking zoom would kinda suck.

I was thinking about Brandon Hunt going to Vegas -- even if that was just a box check or he tells him while he is there that he is the next Steelers GM, I mean....its an all inclusive to Vegas for a night. Who says no?!

Yea. The biggest thing I hate is it makes developing someone internally to be promoted higher kinda useless. Like, they should have the highest compensation go to internal hires rather than external. That way you are encouraged to promote from within, build a good culture, and focus on developing. 

The way the rule is written, it encourages teams to bury good minority employees so other teams don’t get compensated and to just poach all things equal candidates from other teams. 

Lets just say Austin gets hired elsewhere for DC, if an internal hire (Dunbar) and external (Ravens DB coach Chris Hewitt) we’re about neck and neck, it behooves you to hire Hewitt. 

As much as the NFL gets things wrong they got this one REALLY wrong. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

mina kimes for next gm. i've started the campaign on twitter, get behind me on this one - you will not regret it

Why? I'm not part of the sympathy club because she was challenged by a former NFL QB. He was a callous and damn near disrespectful but why should Mina Kimes be an NFL GM?

19 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Why? I'm not part of the sympathy club because she was challenged by a former NFL QB. He was a callous and damn near disrespectful but why should Mina Kimes be an NFL GM?

got nothing to do with the events of the past couple of days tbh, just think that far and away she's one of the smartest analysts and evaluators in the nfl and someone who i would trust to make exemplary personnel decisions based on real outcomes and real data instead of who best fits outdated models of a good player