Steelers GM Kevin Colbert stepping down after draft

RaidersAreOne

55 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

There’s no other GM spots open at this time, right? If that’s correct, it’s gonna be a long, long while till we make a hire I think. For the right reasons, but a bummer as a fan who wants some news. 

Didn’t Rooney already say the hire probably wouldn’t come until after the draft.

10 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

There’s no other GM spots open at this time, right? If that’s correct, it’s gonna be a long, long while till we make a hire I think. For the right reasons, but a bummer as a fan who wants some news. 

It’s also bothersome from a “no one stands out” standpoint. You know the saying of “if you like the guy don’t let him leave the building.” This is starting to go past due diligence. It’s starting to boarder on low key problematic. I know some people would point to Tomlin and say he can’t give up control, but I wonder if ARII is the one that’s the sticking point. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Not really. The hire will happen when it happens but they won’t take control until then. 

Here is the quote.  

We have left the door open, Kevin and I, to possibly have him fill an ongoing role after the draft,” Rooney II said. “We will be conducting a search for a new GM immediately, but we probably won’t make a hire until after the draft.”

3 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

Here is the quote.  

We have left the door open, Kevin and I, to possibly have him fill an ongoing role after the draft,” Rooney II said. “We will be conducting a search for a new GM immediately, but we probably won’t make a hire until after the draft.”

He also more recently said it would be filled when they find the right guy. 

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

It’s also bothersome from a “no one stands out” standpoint. You know the saying of “if you like the guy don’t let him leave the building.” This is starting to go past due diligence. It’s starting to boarder on low key problematic. I know some people would point to Tomlin and say he can’t give up control, but I wonder if ARII is the one that’s the sticking point. 

I am not worried about that piece at this point, mainly because of the competition and how we have hired in the past. In the past 50 years we have had 4 GMs and 3 coaches. Some teams have done that in the last decade. 

There is definitely a chance no one has blown them away, but I think its more about making the right hire that is expected to be around 15+ years. With no other competition in terms of other GM openings right now they can turn over every single rock to find the best candidate. 

Despite what some others have said, I still think its laughably stupid to not have a GM in place before free agency and the draft.      I mean....the guy taking over the team going forward has to wait until next year to really have any real say in the team he is going to be responsible for going forward?   Why?      You can say all you want about how Colbert and Tomlin already have the scouting done and so on, and thats fine....but what if the incoming GM isnt a fan of some of the moves made?    In an offseason where we have tons of money to spend and the team is going to change pretty drastically, you'd think you'd want your new GM to have a say in the new direction.

This kinda tells us that the new GM they bring in very well be nothing more than a puppet.      A guy to nod while Tomlin essentially takes over alot of the GM stuff....and that really scares me.    Colbert was already well established when Tomlin got here, so I think he had alot of say and there was alot of give and take for who was drafted and signed.     I feel like now, Tomlin is not really going to have a filter.   Meaning, there is a good chance that Tomlin will just be able to draft and sign whoever he wants without anyone to really challenge him or offer a differing opinion, at least not to the extent Colbert likely did.      

I honestly believe if we end up a trading a future pick for Willis or something, that is 100% Tomlin getting what he wants because Colbert is on his way out and the new GM wont really have a say.

I dont have enough faith in Tomlin to believe he can be successful with the same type of organizational power as a guy like Bill Belichick.     I hope Im wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Ya’lls knee jerk reaction about the Steelers is really to go all in on incompetence isn’t it? 

Pessimism about this teams future is based on far more than just this past season or recent events, so its hardly "knee jerk".   

Like I said, I hope Im wrong about pretty much everything, but I was spot on last year in my reasons to be worried about 2021,  and my concerns have only grown since.    

We will see how the rest of the offseason goes, but so far, pretty much every decision being made about the coaching staff/front office (retaining Canada (more like promoting him in the first place)/promoting Austin/dragging feet on GM/letting Colbert make future decisions for a team he is leaving, etc...) have been pretty much the opposite of every decision Id make.     Does that mean Im right?   Heck no....and I hope a year or two from now, you can bump this and throw it in my face.

But I assure you, nothing about my assessment of this teams future prospects is a kneejerk reaction. 

Mediocrity has just gotten old.  Change is needed. 

The future is concerning.  This team is now 100% Tomlins team.  Nothing is left from Cowher anymore.  

There are very few brights spots.  A lot of gaping holes.  There has been a steady decline.  Many who follow closely are rightfully frustrated and have major concerns that the status quo will continue to deteriorate this team.

@43Mbut you called the process “laughably stupid” and thats based on pure speculation because we have very little to no information on what they are doing or have planned to do. 

We can even look at simple things that make sense in the whole process about NFL rules regarding the number of GM roles you can have on a team, that there are no teams with a vacancy at GM left, the fact that hired and involved are not the same, and that the number 1 question being asked by candidates during the interview is probably “will I have say this year?”.

We could even be semi-optimist and look at how in what could be a crucial off-season we have the opportunity to pick the brains of multiple executives across the league. 

There’s nothing outside of speculation to suggest that they dont intend to have a GM chosen before free agency. There’s nothing that suggests they won’t have any level of input. There’s nothing to suggest that they are doing anything wrong at this point. But that’s why I mention the knee jerk reaction….the Steelers came up with that idea? Must be wrong. This GM hire isn’t going to reinvent the wheel. There won’t be some major ideological shift. I just flat don’t understand the level of concern right now. 

Our Offensive line is legitimately a nightmare. Our ILBs are worrisome at best. I'm hoping they let Edmunds walk. Pierre needs to walk too. Our secondary needs improved. We need a NT, a better backup RB, and most importantly a QB who is a legitimate threat to competition and that person is not on this roster. 

All of this is a result of poor management over the last few years. Trading away draft assets for guys who haven't worked out. Picks that haven't worked out. Trying to force a square peg into a round hole (Kendrick Green). 

Drafting guys with limited versatility (Dan Moore).

We have some talent but this team is a long ways from being a serious SB contender.

They need to make a decision on the next GM and let that person make the roster management decisions because, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure we are in a good place if a GM who is leaving and Mike Tomlin are making those decisions.

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

AR2 does not have operational experience so I think they are taking their time in hiring. He has to rely on KC and others in this process.

Rooney has been serving as team president since 2003. Prior to that he served on the board since 1989. He was literally born and raised around this football team and all of its operations. 

I don’t think experience is holding him back…