Horizon: Forbidden West

Supersuavesky

11 minutes ago, 43M said:

Only reason I thought you were talking hunting grounds is because you were talking about bronze and gold medals, but in the arena, you just get a certain number of medals for completing them in the time limit.

Either way, I just got enough to get the Legendary boltblaster and walked away. 

Yeah, you're right. I got that part mixed up that the time was just for more medals. Same logic, bad wording lol. My bad for the confusion.

I'm still working on getting in touch w/ Guerilla to tell them they need more (or any) megabosses like you suggested. I'll keep you updated on my progress 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, showtime said:

Does this game have a good ending? I heard the ending was kind of meh but some people said it's good.

It's not super obvious leading up to it how things will go and it definitely sets up the next game. I think it's adequate. 

Definitely better than say... Mass Effect 3.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m getting into this slowly as I did the first one. I turned off high resolution mode to see if the game stopped being so clippy. The parkour is uncoordinated and inexact and I’ve already encountered a couple glitches: warping above the map while under water, being locked into areas (drowned cause I was stuck on something, warped back repeatedly when I tried to jump off a tightrope). Also maybe I’ve gotten too used to first person games lately but the 3rd person camera on this is an eyesore. Wish it was a little further back  

Im sure I’ll end up liking the game but it’s off to a pretty rough start. 

• 3 weeks later...

The game just got substantially easier now that I’ve discovered I’m an actual idiot. The medicine pouch is locked at 14 so every mission was challenging so far as I’d have to run off and find more medicinal berries to refill it. Didn’t realize the medicinal berries already in my inventory could be used to refill it lol. 

• Like 1

And I finally finished horizon after 83 hours.

•I got every trophy but the machine strike one and idc about getting the platinum enough to force myself to play machine strike ever again. 
•The game was solid. Took a long time to get into like the first one but it picked up dramatically again to the point I really really liked it 8.5/10 

•graphics I’d also give an 8.5/10. My scale accounts for what graphics are at now and where I feel they should be. Good, but not earth shattering. Uncharted 4 is still probably my top ever. 
•character design: the carja looked like fat goofy idiots. The sun god people were annoying. The tenkath were cool. The far zenith just looked like the old cliched idea of what people would look like in the future. As for the machines, I don’t think they pushed it too far beyond what the first game had 

•character/story depth: 8.5/10 there were people I didn’t care for and some I thought were cool. I liked that there wasn’t just one specific enemy. I knew at one point Sylas, Regalla, and the zenith could all be end game fights. The side stuff was also okay, but I wish they’d gone heavier in puzzle solving missions that have nothing to do with fighting machines. Really the only puzzles in this were relic ruins. It’s funny, if you wait til almost the end and use the flying Mount, the drone and tall neck stuff would’ve been an absolute breeze. 
•movement physics: I guess it was a little more human that you can’t effectively dodge a chained attack. The climbing was incredibly aggravating. Not only was it slow, it was unresponsive and sometimes resulted in alloy doing exactly the wrong thing beyond what would have been obvious. Hanging on the actual edge of the cliff and not being able to pull myself up was super annoying. Assassins creed did it better years ago. The pullcaster thing was easy to use and convenient. Different button alignment also might’ve been better, a bunch of times if not timed perfect, I’d heavy strike instead of hacking the console, dive away instead of initiating a fast travel, swing at nothing when trying to stab the metal flower. Not huge issues but sometimes the misinterpreted command would send me over a cliff and I’d have to climb back up. 
•load times 10/10 I’ve never had a game load faster. Skyrim (demanded a lot more, in retrospect) took longer to load into the building you were trying to enter than it took this game to fast travel across the entire map. 
•challenge: on normal, it was easy enough I didn’t have to pay attention to actually taking potions or food but hard enough that beating an enemy felt fulfilling. Getting the legendary bomb shooter and bomb spear at the end made the finale pretty anticlimactic though. The arena stuff was tough as hell and aggravating enough that I set it to story difficulty so I could just blast through it all and get the rewards lol

•game overall: 9/10 I had fun with it 

Edited by Ty21
  • Like 2

On 1/1/2023 at 1:48 AM, Apparition said:

no. One of the worst bag fumbles in recent memory. Just total dog dookie.

Talk about an exaggeration.

What exactly makes the ending so bad?   Youre obviously entitled to feel that way, and Im not saying it was great or anything, but you make it sound like its Mass Effect 3 ending bad, when its not remotely close to that.        

On 1/2/2023 at 1:57 PM, 43M said:

What exactly makes the ending so bad?   Youre obviously entitled to feel that way, and Im not saying it was great or anything, but you make it sound like its Mass Effect 3 ending bad, when its not remotely close to that.        

I think I would’ve liked more out of the ancestors. Was the tech plague en route to earth worthy of being the potential plot to an ensuing game? I personally wasn’t let down but it also was probably too easy and quick 

On 1/2/2023 at 1:57 PM, 43M said:

I agree w/ him that the final boss was a piece of cake if that was incorporated into his opinion which I feel it should be but that's just me w/ open world games. I never do the main story right away. I do every side quest imaginable especially for a game like this b/c it was so much fun and as a result, my character gets so strong that the final boss is usually so easy. Trying to not do that w/ Valhalla now but it's hard.

Overall, this ending left a lot wide-open so that we can get a new game in the future and it will be a day 1 purchase for me. I didn't think it was great or bad. I was content.... but the boss was so easy lol. Like we both talked about, this game desperately needs optional side bosses and don't worry, I'm still working on getting that opinion to them lol

27 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I agree w/ him that the final boss was a piece of cake if that was incorporated into his opinion which I feel it should be but that's just me w/ open world games. I never do the main story right away. I do every side quest imaginable especially for a game like this b/c it was so much fun and as a result, my character gets so strong that the final boss is usually so easy. Trying to not do that w/ Valhalla now but it's hard.

Overall, this ending left a lot wide-open so that we can get a new game in the future and it will be a day 1 purchase for me. I didn't think it was great or bad. I was content.... but the boss was so easy lol. Like we both talked about, this game desperately needs optional side bosses and don't worry, I'm still working on getting that opinion to them lol

Fair points, but I remember reading his earlier posts about the ending of Forbidden West before I even played it and it kind of worried me, but after playing it wasn't sure why he made it out to be so bad.    I can understand why some didn't like it, but again, he made it sound like it was Mass Effect 3 ending bad, when it wasn't close to that level of incompetence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Fair points, but I remember reading his earlier posts about the ending of Forbidden West before I even played it and it kind of worried me, but after playing it wasn't sure why he made it out to be so bad.    I can understand why some didn't like it, but again, he made it sound like it was Mass Effect 3 ending bad, when it wasn't close to that level of incompetence.

I'm definitely unaware of what was said earlier and ME3 as I've never played it but if opinions are changed, that's great. I absolutely love this series and hope it's around as long as it can be without getting stale. As of now, we're not even close to that point lol

33 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I'm definitely unaware of what was said earlier and ME3 as I've never played it but if opinions are changed, that's great. I absolutely love this series and hope it's around as long as it can be without getting stale. As of now, we're not even close to that point lol

I am just confused why he hates the end THAT much.  xD

Based on what he said earlier, I thought it was going to negatively impact my enjoyment of the series going forward, kinda like how the ME3 end kinda soured that franchise for me....but it didnt affect it at all.

I am really hoping they do a PROPER MMO.    Think how much else could be done in that world and other continents, and even a more fleshed out United States map.   Possibilities are endless.   Fighting some crazy huge machines with 20+ people could be epic.

• Like 1