Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now? Part 1 (TYRON SMITH)

The_Slamman

Should Tyron Smith be cut?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should Tyron Smith be cut?

• Yes. Too many injuries and he’s unreliable.
    • No. While often injured, he’s worth the risk of injury when healthy.
    • Wait until after the draft.

The Forum as acting GM have made our first effort to get under the 2022 salary cap.  As must of you know, the cowboys were projected to be over $20M over next year’s cap. So far, if this forum was the GM of cowboys, we would be KEEPING both Zeke and Coop.  By cutting Lawrence after June 1, we are now only $2M over the cap.  https://overthecap.com/calculator/dallas-cowboys/ With a little more effort, we’ll be able to sign our rookies.  The bad news is we only have 2 DEs on our roster Tarell Basham and Chauncey Gholston.  Although we could move Parsons to DE full time.  

This will be a 2 part series… first, let’s focus on players who are or should be on the chopping block.  Next, let’s look at players who should be brought back and for what price.  Next up, Tyron Smith.

First the numbers.  Smith will count $17,505,000 against the cap.  The good news is $13.5M is base salary.  If we were to cut Smith before June 1, we would save $5.5M on the cap putting us $3.4M under the cap.  If cut after June 1, we would save $13.5M on the cap while having $8m in dead money in 2023.  But it would put us $11.6M under the cap.

IMO, the biggest argument for cutting Smith is he has become inherently unreliable.  If we follow the axiom that the best ability is availability, Smith leaves a lot to be desired.  He hasn’t played a full season in the past 6 years straight.  I have very little confidence that he will be able to play a full season in 2022.  He is constantly dealing with a nagging injury and I see more of the same next year.  And heaven forbid he miss another full season… the cowboys season would like be over.  

The argument for keeping Smith is that while he is unreliable, he still plays at a high level.  He made pro bowl in 2021 despite missing 6 games.  He was the second highest rated OT according to PFF.  He is 31.  And, his salary for a quality LT isn’t bad comparatively speaking.  https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/2022/. And, Smith has been a good team player who gave the cowboys a favorable contract.  

Finally, with Dak’s albatross contract, he’s gotta be able to play better without needing an elite OL protecting him.  That’s the trade off when the team disproportionately pays one player.

Edited by The_Slamman

Toughest call this far imo. It’s a catch 22. 

He’s an inexpensive player at this point and a really good one. On the flip side that value is chipped away by the fact he can’t stay healthy for various reasons. As Jerry has stated numerous times before the “ability to be available” is a key to their evaluations. 

I’d like to see what can be done with his contract, if that’s not in the deck, then I’m inclined to move on and use the money elsewhere. 

I would hesitate to rework his contract though that might be the best option.  Cutting him does not seem like the best move.   From checking I think we are going to cut one of if not two of D Law, Cooper or T Smith.    Though cutting D Law and Brown post june gives us 24 M   allowing us to afford Smith 1 more year.  But I guess from what I saw Collins is the better option then Smith or even reworking Smiths salary

11 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

The Forum as acting GM have made our first effort to get under the 2022 salary cap.  As must of you know, the cowboys were projected to be over $20M over next year’s cap. So far, if this forum was the GM of cowboys, we would be KEEPING both Zeke and Coop.  By cutting Lawrence after June 1, we are now only $2M over the cap.  https://overthecap.com/calculator/dallas-cowboys/ With a little more effort, we’ll be able to sign our rookies.  The bad news is we only have 2 DEs on our roster Tarell Basham and Chauncey Gholston.  Although we could move Parsons to DE full time.  

This will be a 2 part series… first, let’s focus on players who are or should be on the chopping block.  Next, let’s look at players who should be brought back and for what price.  Next up, Tyron Smith.

First the numbers.  Smith will count $17,505,000 against the cap.  The good news is $13.5M is base salary.  If we were to cut Smith before June 1, we would save $5.5M on the cap putting us $3.4M under the cap.  If cut after June 1, we would save $13.5M on the cap while having $8m in dead money in 2023.  But it would put us $11.6M under the cap.

IMO, the biggest argument for cutting Smith is he has become inherently unreliable.  If we follow the axiom that the best ability is availability, Smith leaves a lot to be desired.  He hasn’t played a full season in the past 6 years straight.  I have very little confidence that he will be able to play a full season in 2022.  He is constantly dealing with a nagging injury and I see more of the same next year.  And heaven forbid he miss another full season… the cowboys season would like be over.  

The argument for keeping Smith is that while he is unreliable, he still plays at a high level.  He made pro bowl in 2021 despite missing 6 games.  He was the second highest rated OT according to PFF.  He is 31.  And, his salary for a quality LT isn’t bad comparatively speaking.  https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/2022/. And, Smith has been a good team player who gave the cowboys a favorable contract.  

Finally, with Dak’s albatross contract, he’s gotta be able to play better without needing an elite OL protecting him.  That’s the trade off when the team disproportionately pays one player.

Slam you kno I hold you the highest regard. 'Zeke, Lar, Coop.... they are insufficient e/l rwtioit

Another thing to think about… while Tyron cap hit of 17.5M ranks 9th amongst LTs, if you consider the high likelihood that he’ll miss 50% of the games (give or take)… that makes for an extremely expensive part time player.  Given the importance of the position, can we really afford a high priced part player?

On 1/29/2022 at 5:12 PM, The_Slamman said:

Another thing to think about… while Tyron cap hit of 17.5M ranks 9th amongst LTs, if you consider the high likelihood that he’ll miss 50% of the games (give or take)… that makes for an extremely expensive part time player.  Given the importance of the position, can we really afford a high priced part player?

Yes, but the pertinent ? every time is who do we replace him with,   the girlfriend beater?    This is why I wanted Slater.   I'll happily admit I was wrong about Parsons,  but would've been nice to have Slater at LG, and ready to fill in at LT when Tyron is out.