2023 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking 259 picks:

Ozzy

10 minutes ago, WPS said:

Drew Sanders is quietly having a monster season for Arkansas. Since 2000, only two FBS players have totaled 95+ tackles with at least 12 TFL, 8 sacks, three forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and an interception in a season.

Sanders and Khalil Mack.

And he was part of a run defense that got absolutely shredded this week. Obviously not all on one player but I need to see some better block shedding at times from him.

11 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

How good is Jalin Hyatt?

I have him as a 2nd rounder right now and only reason for that is because he was just out there his first two years in college which is odd.  Dude has legit speed, is in great physical condition and is the best deep threat in college arguably right now.  Leads the nation currently in receiving TDs and averages 18 yards a catch with 64 catches, super impressive.  Will be interesting how he does without Hooker the rest of the season but even with Milton I expect Hyatt still is really hard to deal with.

Then again he could be a system guy and is productive because of the system and those wide splits and the formations.  Still is a really interesting talent and hard to argue that he was been the most dangerous WR in the nation, I would still take Johnston over him though any day.  Same with Addison and a few others but Hyatt's stock has skyrocketed no question.

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I have him as a 2nd rounder right now and only reason for that is because he was just out there his first two years in college which is odd.  Dude has legit speed, is in great physical condition and is the best deep threat in college arguably right now.  Leads the nation currently in receiving TDs and averages 18 yards a catch with 64 catches, super impressive.  Will be interesting how he does without Hooker the rest of the season but even with Milton I expect Hyatt still is really hard to deal with.

Then again he could be a system guy and is productive because of the system and those wide splits and the formations.  Still is a really interesting talent and hard to argue that he was been the most dangerous WR in the nation, I would still take Johnston over him though any day.  Same with Addison and a few others but Hyatt's stock has skyrocketed no question.

You taking Hyatt over Josh Downs?

For the Titans draft: A little weird, I have to say, so I'll go pick by pick:

1. Paris Johnson, Ohio St: Holy crap do I love this pick.  I don't know if there's a chance he falls this far, but if he did and they didn't run screaming to the podium to take him, then I will lose all faith in this FO.  Incidentally, I currently have him as OT1.

2. Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin: This is pretty surprising, since interior DL is possibly the strongest position on the entire Titans roster.  I guess I could see it if they don't retain any of the guys that are hitting free agency, which is possible, but even then, they still have Simmons, Autry, and Murchison.  And with great OLs and WRs on the board, it's a head scratcher.

3. Dewayne McBride, UAB: This one is another surprise.  I wouldn't be shocked if the Titans draft a running back, but I'm not sure they do it this high or before taking care of bigger needs.  Haskins has been good actually as a kick returner, Henry is still kicking butt, and they've shown that they're still committing to him.  Still much bigger needs at Edge, TE, WR, and LG.

5. Rakim Jarrett, Maryland: In the fifth, Jarrett is a steal.  Would really help the Titans much maligned WR depth.  No problem with waiting this long for a WR if they can get Jarrett here.

6. Kenny McIntosh, Georgia: Doubling up on RB is really weird when it's not a huge need.

7. Nehemiah Pritchett, Auburn: I mean, JRob loves to take DBs with the last pick of the draft, so sure.

No TE, no IOL, and no Edge leaves the Titans really hurting at those positions IMO.

26 minutes ago, Daniel said:

For the Titans draft: A little weird, I have to say, so I'll go pick by pick:

1. Paris Johnson, Ohio St: Holy crap do I love this pick.  I don't know if there's a chance he falls this far, but if he did and they didn't run screaming to the podium to take him, then I will lose all faith in this FO.  Incidentally, I currently have him as OT1.

2. Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin: This is pretty surprising, since interior DL is possibly the strongest position on the entire Titans roster.  I guess I could see it if they don't retain any of the guys that are hitting free agency, which is possible, but even then, they still have Simmons, Autry, and Murchison.  And with great OLs and WRs on the board, it's a head scratcher.

3. Dewayne McBride, UAB: This one is another surprise.  I wouldn't be shocked if the Titans draft a running back, but I'm not sure they do it this high or before taking care of bigger needs.  Haskins has been good actually as a kick returner, Henry is still kicking butt, and they've shown that they're still committing to him.  Still much bigger needs at Edge, TE, WR, and LG.

5. Rakim Jarrett, Maryland: In the fifth, Jarrett is a steal.  Would really help the Titans much maligned WR depth.  No problem with waiting this long for a WR if they can get Jarrett here.

6. Kenny McIntosh, Georgia: Doubling up on RB is really weird when it's not a huge need.

7. Nehemiah Pritchett, Auburn: I mean, JRob loves to take DBs with the last pick of the draft, so sure.

No TE, no IOL, and no Edge leaves the Titans really hurting at those positions IMO.

Good catch, I missed that I had them taking two backs, now I have them getting Mallory at that spot.  And really Kenny McIntosh might make more sense because he provides that pass catching versatility.  But McBride would be a steal at that point.  Sure it is not a huge need but just seems they need to give a break to Henry every now and again, but another OL would make sense there as well.

And is the interior that good, doesn't Simmons make everyone else look good?  And isnt Autry more of a OLB edge guy than a interior stopper?  Crazy he has 7 sacks but impressive.  Murchison has not done much has he this year?  I think Benton could be a great NT but maybe they are sold on Tart, I guess I am not yet.  I guess they do have Mario Edwards and DeMarcus Walker for that DE spot and both are super high level players coming out for the draft, have not turned into that but both have talent and potential.  Still is NT sold with Tart, because Benton could be great at that possibly however yes they have other needs also.

And is edge that big of a need, they have Dupree, Landry when he comes back, Weaver and Autry.  Seems pretty sold to me.  

How has Petit- Frere been for them?  I was shocked he dropped to the 3rd round, I thought he was a better player than a 3rd round pick.  

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Good catch, I missed that I had them taking two backs, now I have them getting Mallory at that spot.  And really Kenny McIntosh might make more sense because he provides that pass catching versatility.  But McBride would be a steal at that point.  Sure it is not a huge need but just seems they need to give a break to Henry every now and again, but another OL would make sense there as well.

And is the interior that good, doesn't Simmons make everyone else look good?  And isnt Autry more of a OLB edge guy than a interior stopper?  Crazy he has 7 sacks but impressive.  Murchison has not done much has he this year?  I think Benton could be a great NT but maybe they are sold on Tart, I guess I am not yet.  I guess they do have Mario Edwards and DeMarcus Walker for that DE spot and both are super high level players coming out for the draft, have not turned into that but both have talent and potential.  Still is NT sold with Tart, because Benton could be great at that possibly however yes they have other needs also.

And is edge that big of a need, they have Dupree, Landry when he comes back, Weaver and Autry.  Seems pretty sold to me.  

How has Petit- Frere been for them?  I was shocked he dropped to the 3rd round, I thought he was a better player than a 3rd round pick.  

Nice, Mallory is a TE that I'm not familiar with.  Okonkwo looks great, but he's one of those TEs that's a big WR, so a guy that can block would be the ideal.  Titans like to use two TE sets when they can.

Autry is playing Edge right now because they have no one else.  He's supposed to be an interior guy.  But yeah, Simmons does make everyone else look good, but Teair Tart, Naquan Jones, and Demarcus Walker are all solid players in their own right.  Edwards has been very solid in a short amount of time as well.  Like I said, I could see it because all but Simmons, Autry, and Murch are hitting free agency (team just extended Murch a year).  I expect they'll re-sign some.

Dupree is expected to be a cap casualty and is currently injured, so it's really just Landry coming off an injury and Weaver.  It's the biggest need on defense right now.

NPF has been OK.  I was not high on him at all, but he's proven me wrong.  Not great, but not bad at RT, which is pretty good for a rookie.  I expect he'll be a solid starter by next year, and looks like a long term answer at RT.

Tucker Kraft declared for the draft apparently.  I included him in the new 7 round ranking, I think he could be a 2nd round pick but I am surprised he declared.  Was hurt for over half the year, they are still in the playoffs but he is a RS SOPH TE and could be the #2 TE in 2024 behind Bowers so surprised he declared.  No way Kraft goes over Mayer and with Darnell Washington being a mountain and a great blocker not sure I take Kraft over him either in 2023.  Could be a solid 2nd round pick and #2 TE off the board #5 at worst but will see. 

It is a deep TE group though, if Kuntz did not get hurt he could have been in that #3 TE spot.  If Kuithe did not get hurt he could have been up there as well after the great start he had and how great he was at the end of last year.  Then there is Dalton Kincaid who has been absolutely insanely productive with Kuithe out and hell he could be the #2 or #3 TE, apparently is an amazing athlete as well.  Then you have Spann-Ford who is a mountain, Strange who is talented, LaPorta who is very skilled as a pass catcher same with Durham and Vokolek is very promising, Latu is a good route running and Ezeike has really come on strong as well!

Kraft is a sick athlete, great build, really moves well and has a good solid base.  Promising talent for sure and one to watch for but interesting choice again in such a deep TE group. 

• 3 weeks later...

Championship Week:

*Ja'Quinden Jackson RS FR RB Utah:  What a potential star he is, just glides out there as a runner and is super smooth.  Really impressive talent and makes Tavion Thomas being there not even an issue, could argue Jackson has more upside and big play potential.  Really interesting talent and hopefully he sticks at RB because he is such a gifted runner.

*Mohamoud Diabate SR OLB Utah:  One of the best games I have ever see him play, was super active and his pass rush ability on the edge in that game was impressive.  Then again it was a banged up USC OL and more than one Utah defender had a great game.  Interesting talent, could be a promising mid to late round LB with pass rush versatility.

*Deuce Vaughn JR RB Kansas State:  Very quick running back obviously, I love his ability out of the backfield as a pass catcher that will greatly improve his stock.  I would be surprised if he did not declare for the draft in 2023, is probably not a 1st rounder but most likely would be a 2nd or more likely 3rd round pick.  Strong back and hard to cover that is for sure.

*Garrett Nussmeier RS FR QB LSU:  Really solid game by him I thought, showed surprising arm talent and ability to throw from different arm angles.  Sure it was just backup time and the game was out of hand but he has some ability no question.  If Daniels returns to LSU I would not be surprised if Nussmeier transfers, kid has some game.

*Simote Pepa RS FR NT Utah:  Huge dude, super young and could be a potential star.  Is key to that defensive turnaround on Utah, is a force on the inside and can really move for a big man, really good looking prospect.  

*Cameron Rising RS JR QB Utah:  Impressed last year and is even better this season despite the injuries they have had on offense.  Kid is a competitor, great leader and throws an accurate football.  Maybe it is a good choice for him to declare considering the up swing he has had and sure he will play great in the Rose Bowl game as well.

*Julius Brents RS SR CB Kansas State:  Did get beat a lot but have to love that length and he did compete hard.  Could be an interesting CB or S potentially with that size, is worth a shot and could be a fine late round pick.

*Jared Wiley SR TE TCU:  Had another really solid game and is a good run blocker and have to love that size.  Good athlete for his size and he has such potential and a great frame for the position.  Really helped himself and has improved his draft stock greatly this year.

*Felix Anudike-Uzomah JR DE Kansas State:  One of the better pass rushers in the nation, has really long arms and uses them well, could play DE or 3/4 OLB.  Has a good get off and is hard to handle as a pass rusher.

*Zemaiah Vaughn SOPH CB Utah:  I like him at corner, super length and looks pretty promising, is one to key and eye on in the future.

*Gabe Reid RS SR DE/OLB Utah:  Too bad he is so small for the position but had a career day against USC, really stood out on the DL and got consistent pressure off the edge.  Could maybe be a late round 3/4 OLB type but might be too small, amazing game by him though and hard to take notice of that.

*RJ Hubert SR S Utah:  Interesting safety talent, have not noticed him a ton but in this game he really stood out.  Good looking athlete with nice range, could maybe work himself into being a late round pick or UDFA.  

Others who impressed:

Colston Loveland FR TE Michigan

KT Leveston RS SR OT Kansas State

Travis Hunter FR CB Jackson State

Cooper Beebe RS JR OG Kansas State

Cory Trice RS SR CB Purdue 

Reese Taylor SR CB Purdue 

Micah Bernard RS SOPH RB Utah

Mekhi Blackmon RS SR CB USC

Connor O'Toole SOPH DE Utah

Lander Barton FR LB Utah

Tahj Washington RS JR WR USC

Disappointed:

DJ Uiagalelei JR QB Clemson - Not surprising he is transferring, dude had an awful game and hopefully can get a fresh new start somewhere else.  Really slow release and is just not confident, has good arm talent and great size for the position but will see if he can perform better in a different setting.  

Here are the players who are transferring schools and thus not going out for the draft, a few surprises for sure but most made the right choice.  I was surprised with Boutte and Penix, Penix especially after he had such a great year but could be for the best in the long run.

DJ Uiagalelei Clemson JR QB
Kendarin Ray Tulsa RS SR S
AJ Hampton Northwestern RS SR CB
Ryan O'Keefe UCF SR WR
Kayshon Boutte LSU JR WR
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS JR QB
Kedon Slovis SR QB
Phil Jurkovec Pitt RS SR QB
Khyree Jackson Alabama SR CB
Brennan Armstrong Virginia RS SR QB
Erick All Michigan SR TE

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

You watched Al Walcott on Baylor at all? Pitre's 6'2" 220 lb replacement
Anyone else on Baylor (like their DL) tickle your fancy?

TJ Franklin I thought would be better than he has been this year, still is most likely a drafted DE though with potential to be a 3/4 DE.  Gabe Hall I like but he should probably return for another year, has great size and Garmon Randolph is a monster athlete, huge kid but probably needs another year as well.  Then Ika of course but he also disappointed a bit this year off of what he did last season.  I thought Jaxon Player would have been way better for them as well, he was awesome on Tulsa but not sure he is a good fit in a 3/4 anyway, he has good athletic ability though.

Walcott I have not noticed much, would be shocked if he is as good as Pitre though.  Overall I expected more out of that front seven considering who they had returning so they kind of disappointed a bit.  Dillon Doyle is a solid ILB and has a chance to be drafted as well.

• Like 1

What do you think of Jared Verse?

And have you watched Karl Brooks yet? Please just do it if you haven't, and tell me what you think of him. I think this DT class is pretty weak (too many guys who need to climb 3 or 4 flights of stairs to hit their ceiling), and Brooks could end up being one of the top 3 or 4 guys to come out. He might be the Maxx Crosby of DT prospects. Everybody slept on Maxx because Eastern Michigan was playing bums.

Edited by Jeezla

6 hours ago, Jeezla said:

What do you think of Jared Verse?

And have you watched Karl Brooks yet? Please just do it if you haven't, and tell me what you think of him. I think this DT class is pretty weak (too many guys who need to climb 3 or 4 flights of stairs to hit their ceiling), and Brooks could end up being one of the top 3 or 4 guys to come out. He might be the Maxx Crosby of DT prospects. Everybody slept on Maxx because Eastern Michigan was playing bums.

I really like Jared Verse, after watching him play twice I had him as potentially a 1st round prospect this year in September and I think that is still the case.  High motor and really good looking athlete.  All depends on how he works out athletically though, might be a early 2nd round guy but has upside no question and will play the bowl game and has declared for the draft.

Karl Brooks I saw a few clips, hard to get a read off of those.  Will be really interesting how he does at the Senior Bowl and the combine, how he works out etc.  So does he play edge at 300 pounds then?  I agree the DT class is weak but doesn't Brooks play on the edge but one can project him inside I guess.  He could benefit from a some what weak DT class no question if he is indeed projected as that and not just a 3/4 DE.

As for Maxx Crosby, that guy had amazing numbers for his position on the edge, wasn't he at or near the top in almost every category that year?  That showed his elite athletic ability and he was highly productive as well.  But yes it is hard to read MAC players because the competition is so bad, especially on the defensive side hard to know who is good because they do not go up against great OL consistently.  Sure Central Michigan had two tackles drafted last year but both have not been great in the NFL and were both overdrafted arguably.

Jalen Carter is going top 5 most likely, top 10 at worst.  Bresee probably falls to the late 1st or early 2nd round, same with Ika.  Mazi Smith could sneak into the 1st but most likely 2nd rounder.  Same with Kancey and no way I would take this Brooks over Kancey who has super high potential as a pass rusher in the right situation as a DT.  Dexter I like and is a solid 2nd rounder same with Benton who is very solid.  But yeah in terms of super high rated guys not a ton of them who have played to that level.