This forum should make it against the rules to use Fahrenheit

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 3:36 PM, NeptunePenguins said:

A guy today asked what a temp is in F and a guy replied with the formula. Another guy said to "Just adopt celsius already, americans
[3:55 PM]
god"

The guy that said that is 34 years old and lives in Norway. So he is old and smart and I agree with him. 

On my website I have decided that I will be banning people that use Fahrenheit just so I don't have to get made fun of tbh because I hate it when people think I'm different. I might be hard nosed but I will immediately ban people using that, and I suggest the internet everywhere to do the same. 

Who do we report violations to?

I will fight to my last breath for metric over imperial on anything except temperature. 

a meter is a very human-relevant length, and far superior to the inch/foot/yard/mile system.

a gram is a very human-relevant mass, and far superior to the pound (which is also the name of the force unit? lolwut).

a liter is a very human-relevant volume, and far superior to the cup/pint/quart/gallon/barrel(?) system. 

don't even get me started on horsepower or pound-feet. 😂

However, 100 degC is NOT a human relevant temperature. It is far too hot to be safely felt by humans. Saying it is the "boiling" temp is silly because that can vary widely based on many different factors. Freezing is a stupid reference for "zero" because it is a quite common occurrence and water "freezes" depending on too many variables.

Kelvin makes more logical/scientific sense, but again is not based on anything human-based. 

Fahrenheit is much more useful for humans. 0 is uncomfortably cold, 100 is uncomfortably hot, but neither are extreme, and are both easily experienced by humans. Given the choice, I'll stick with Fahrenheit. 

Personally, I would prefer a system where "0" is -30 degF, which is the average temperature of an Antarctic winter, and have "100" at 115 degF which is the average high temp for summer in Mali. That would make "room temperature" near "50".

13 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I will fight to my last breath for metric over imperial on anything except temperature. 

a meter is a very human-relevant length, and far superior to the inch/foot/yard/mile system.

a gram is a very human-relevant mass, and far superior to the pound (which is also the name of the force unit? lolwut).

a liter is a very human-relevant volume, and far superior to the cup/pint/quart/gallon/barrel(?) system. 

don't even get me started on horsepower or pound-feet. 😂

However, 100 degC is NOT a human relevant temperature. It is far too hot to be safely felt by humans. Saying it is the "boiling" temp is silly because that can vary widely based on many different factors. Freezing is a stupid reference for "zero" because it is a quite common occurrence and water "freezes" depending on too many variables.

Kelvin makes more logical/scientific sense, but again is not based on anything human-based. 

Fahrenheit is much more useful for humans. 0 is uncomfortably cold, 100 is uncomfortably hot, but neither are extreme, and are both easily experienced by humans. Given the choice, I'll stick with Fahrenheit. 

Personally, I would prefer a system where "0" is -30 degF, which is the average temperature of an Antarctic winter, and have "100" at 115 degF which is the average high temp for summer in Mali. That would make "room temperature" near "50".

Dear lord my good man, this is my biggest issue with spaceX. They use metric and imperial on the same drawings. Very annoying. I don't care which they use but just choose 1.