Raiders hire Josh McDaniels as HC

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

I wouldn't mind Mayo because that would allow us to stay in a four-man front. I could also see us being able to bring JC Jackson or more realistically Stephane Gilmore if Mayo was here

I read a day or two ago that Mark was lobbying to keep Gus. Of course it was only one tweet and I can't find it. But that doesn't mean it is or isn't true.

Just now, BigD1123 said:

I read a day or two ago that Mark was lobbying to keep Gus. Of course it was only one tweet and I can't find it. But that doesn't mean it is or isn't true.

Also interesting to see that there were reports from a week or so ago that said McDaniels was Mark's guy from the jump.

1 minute ago, Jraider91 said:

It's because fans have no idea how hard it is to get a competitive QB and you don't get the luxury to gamble on one more than once. And every draft pick is a gamble 

Reportedly the GM and Josh were trying to push for the Patriots to trade for Carr last off-season.

10 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Really want to see numbers carr gonna be looking for. 30 to 35 million seems fair but I think he might be able to get more on market and if he feels that way will he up the price on the Raiders. 

Issue is that he still he has one year left on his deal.

I put some thought into potential Josh McDaniels staff, but I'm not super sure.

Head Coach: Josh McDaniels -- obviously

Offensive Coordinator: 1. Nick Caley 2. Chad O'Shea  3. Adam Gase 4. Jerry Schuplinski (I have Gase and Jerry 3&4 because they are essentially unemployeed so OC in title might be more a thing to dangle to get OShea or Caley from the Browns or Patriots to move with McDaniels)

Defensive Coordinator: 1. Don 'Wink' Martindale 2. Jerod Mayo 3. Gus Bradley 4. Brian Flores 4. Jay Rodgers 5. Matt Patricia (Martindale is both available and former experience with McDaniels from DEN. Mayo is a likely HC candidate where he is and might not want to rock the boat too much, he may like the opportunity to have his own defense though and appreciate having been considered for HC. Bradley would likely need Davis selling the idea. Flores I think could/should get a HC job, but he might settle for this DC role. Jay Rodgers got his professional start under McDaniels in DEN and survived that staff being fired, then went to learn from Fangio in CHI where he was assistant coach of the year a couple times I think. Patricia is an advisor role last year with Patriots and might be far enough behind Mayo is the pecking order in NE that he would want the job.

Special Teams: 1. Joe Judge (Patriots connection) 2. Byron Storer (current Asst ST coach been with our under contract trio for years, not broken may keep it) 3. Brian Polian (John Carroll connection) 4. Matt Slater is probably the best ST player in recent history, potentially could retire and coach the group?

QB Coach: 1. Jerry Schuplinski 2. Adam Gase 3. Charlie Weiss Jr. (just got Ole Miss OC job, so probably not. He's 28 and been coaching since he was 18, Josh McDaniels was that young protege once upon a time under Charlie Weiss Sr.) 4. Mike McCoy (was McDaniel's DEN OC, but out of league so at most is QB coach I would think) 5. One of McDaniel's former QBs with the success of Kevin OConnell coaching for McVay I would think it's on his mind. Maybe Brian Hoyer (edit: Tom Brady o.o lol)?

Offensive Line: 1. Cole Popovich (Patriots connection, currently at Troy aftering leaving NE over COVID) 2. Doug Marrone (Alabama OL right now, but NE and Marrone were close relationship)

Running backs coach: 1. I only had one idea with this and it's former Alabama RB coach Burton Burns. Burns coached Kenyan Drake and Josh Jacobs and Alabama and NE have close relationships and Burns was one of Sabans close ones. Joe Judge hired him, and I assume with Judge out that means he is available again. 2. I could see someone like James White or Mark Ingram retire and become an assistant RB coach under Burns/McDaniel.

WR Coach: 1. Ben McDaniels (his younger brother, I think he is an assistant in the role for Houston)

TE: 1. Clancy Barrone (McDaniel's TE coach in Denver, was on Chicago's staff that was just fired -- he is also an OL coach candidate) 2. Nick Caley (I think he's more an OC candidate as I don't think BB would let him leave for the same job, but BB might want Josh to succeed and feels like he could replace him?) 3. Maybe Rob Gronkowski retires and wants to try his hand in coaching?

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BigD1123 said:

I also have no problem with keeping Gus either obviously. In fact I believe it's the best case scenario to keep the same defense we had last year while improving on offhand which is what a McDaniels-Bradley combo would give us

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

I also have no problem with keeping Gus either obviously. In fact I believe it's the best case scenario to keep the same defense we had last year while improving on offhand which is what a McDaniels-Bradley combo would give us

McDaniels kept a decent amount of Denver's staff when he took that job. I think OL, RB and DB coaches?

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

McDaniels kept a decent amount of Denver's staff when he took that job. I think OL, RB and DB coaches?

I personally just don't see McDaniels and a new GM coming in together and retaining current staff members. They're going to want their own guys to build their vision. 

2 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

Will matter a lot as to what scheme the DC he hires runs. That will dictate the coaches there. I’m excited to see the hiring process for his staff get going. 

I'm assuming he'll be the de-facto OC as well so his DC hire will be massively important. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I'm assuming he'll be the de-facto OC as well so his DC hire will be massively important. 

He will absolutely be the play caller and running the O I’d imagine. DC is gonna be so huge from a hiring perspective. I’d hope he sold Mark on someone really good. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FloydFan said:

He will absolutely be the play caller and running the O I’d imagine. DC is gonna be so huge from a hiring perspective. I’d hope he sold Mark on someone really good. 

I personally think that Mayo was here as a potential DC candidate. It makes sense for him to come to Vegas with guys he has worked with in a big promotion so he can improve his head coaching resume. 

• Like 1