Raiders hire Josh McDaniels as HC

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I want 11-6 and the 5th seed again. Followed by 13-4 and a division title the second season. My expectations are HIGH. And why shouldn’t they be? We have a somewhat above-average roster, with an apparent offensive genius rockstar Head Coach. McDaniels isn’t here for a rebuild, and Mark Davis wasn’t searching for a rebuild. 

I’m all in on McDaniels now. I’m a fan of the Raiders. I will even give him leeway to mistakes. But at the end of the day, the end-result better be as I mentioned previously. 

I agree with everything here outside of the above average roster comment.  I believe there will be a decent amount of turnover which is a good thing considering my belief that we have a below average roster with little depth.   

Does anyone know what our cap situation currently is and how much we will be working with once we move on from certain players? 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I think it’d be the opposite. McDaniels feeling him out and not being married to him unless he operates his scheme well. 

You may be right. But If his interview was based off of what he can do with Carr, then it would be very weird between him and Davis is McDaniels moved on from him after 1 year.  hopefully they talked and verbally committed to eachother. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NickButera said:

You may be right. But If his interview was based off of what he can do with Carr, then it would be very weird between him and Davis is McDaniels moved on from him after 1 year.  hopefully they talked and verbally committed to eachother. 

You shouldn’t want any commitment. While Carr sounds like an ideal fit, we still need to see it in action. The last thing you want is a marriage that doesn’t work. Divorces are messy, and sometimes not even possible. 

Also, McDaniels likes Carr, yes, but he still doesn’t know if it’s all gonna work. No one does. An extension right now is a mistake IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You shouldn’t want any commitment. While Carr sounds like an ideal fit, we still need to see it in action. The last thing you want is a marriage that doesn’t work. Divorces are messy, and sometimes not even possible. 

Also, McDaniels likes Carr, yes, but he still doesn’t know if it’s all gonna work. No one does. An extension right now is a mistake IMO.

That's just as risky IMO. If he works and does very well, better than last year, he's going to command very top dollar AND be a free agent. 

1 minute ago, NickButera said:

That's just as risky IMO. If he works and does very well, better than last year, he's going to command very top dollar AND be a free agent. 

He wouldn’t be a free agent, franchise tag baby. Also, I’d rather take the risk of paying him an extra 5-8M a year than paying him now. 

21 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree with everything here outside of the above average roster comment.  I believe there will be a decent amount of turnover which is a good thing considering my belief that we have a below average roster with little depth.   

Does anyone know what our cap situation currently is and how much we will be working with once we move on from certain players? 

I read it was $27.4M.  Here's the link.  http://Las Vegas Raiders Salary Cap | Over the Cap  Sportrac has it at $21.3M.  Herre's their link:  http://Las Vegas Raiders 2022 Salary Cap Table | Spotrac.  Another just said slightly under $40M.

I heard a few weeks back it was as high as $53M so I'm not sure. 

Edited by S&B Bleeder
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I will wait to speculate on how we will do until after FA and the draft but I do agree that we need to make the playoffs or worst case be very close.  

I just can't stomach another FA period of trash signings and a draft with 1st round reaches.  I highly doubt the draft reaches will occur under Zeigler and I would assume we will be more attractive to FA's fresh off of a playoff appearance and a highly regarded O mind as our new HC. 

I’m not even excepting very close that’s not gonna work for me. There needs to be playoffs because there was playoffs without him so they can’t go backwards

I expect Ziegler to be an upgrade and for us the score more points with Mcdaniels

One positive is it’s absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to be worse than Gruden/Mayock at drafting in the 1st Round. Our 1st Round picks will instantly improve by default.

Mayock was very very good in the 2nd, 4th, and 5th Rounds though. Very good. (Horrible in the 3rd). We will see if McDaniels and Ziegler can match Mayock in that regard. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

I’m not even excepting very close that’s not gonna work for me. There needs to be playoffs because there was playoffs without him so they can’t go backwards

I expect Ziegler to be an upgrade and for us the score more points with Mcdaniels

I agree but there are so many variables. Injuries, off the field issues that could impact the team etc...

I fully expect them to improve but let's be honest they were a fraud of a playoff team this season based on talent.  They played inspired football which is very encouraging considering how I have seen them quit in the second half of the season for the last few years.  This squad played above their talent level. 

It will be on JM to keep his group playing inspired football all year and with his O schemes, hopefully improved roster through FA and the draft I agree and see no reason why we shouldn't make the playoffs.  

32 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

This.

i’ve been pretty vocal about how whoever we get if it’s not Bissacia we better not go backwards(which is why I wanted Harbaugh). And the patriots coaching tree has a track record of taking teams and going backwards. Not saying it’s going to happen here because of the fact that I think The Raiders have a lot of the pieces of what mcdaniels likes to do on offense. But we better not go backwards

This is honestly a misguided take. Every season is different. The schedule will be a much harder next season for one. The Raiders 6 wins in walk off fashion are not sustainable and they are not going to get gimmie covid games again in December. 

• Like 1

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree but there are so many variables. Injuries, off the field issues that could impact the team etc...

I fully expect them to improve but let's be honest they were a fraud of a playoff team this season based on talent.  They played inspired football which is very encouraging considering how I have seen them quit in the second half of the season for the last few years.  This squad played above their talent level. 

It will be on JM to keep his group playing inspired football all year and with his O schemes, hopefully improved roster through FA and the draft I agree and see no reason why we shouldn't make the playoffs.  

Think about all the variables that we had this year.