Head Coaching Ideas...

whodatworm23

7 hours ago, Dome said:

You're right.. not brady. He started the year hot.

I remember later in the season in NFL gen there was a Brady/Rodgers MVP debate thread we had some fun extrapolating Winston's stats. They extrapolated over 17 games better than Brady and Rodgers did at that point in the year, I demanded the Crab King be named MVP.

Obviously that wasn't to be taken seriously, it was just for fun... but looking how well our defense played down the stretch, I think it's likely that Winston would have been in the running for MVP had he remained healthy... definitely more than likely if Thomas didn't have his setback (which I still am not sure wasn't just the team giving Thomas the year off to subside him once Winston went down).

But Rodgers start? 221 attempts for 1710 yards - 7.7 ypa - 15:3 thu 7 games
Winston: 161 attempts for 1170 yards - 7.2 ypa - 14:3 thru 6.5 games

Now look who Rodgers was throwing to, and then look who Jameis was throwing to 😵

If only Rodgers threw TDs as often as Jameis... then it would be a good comparison 😉

Of course the italics is just tongue in cheek sarcasm, but my initial point stands

Am I saying they're comparable players? No. Rodgers is one of the best QBs to ever play.

I'm saying Jamies started out the year having just as good a year as Rodgers. It's not just a stats based argument. He had the team at 5-2 with notable wins over Rodgers and Brady twice, while maintaining similar efficiency with notably inferior weapons.

I can't really include this in the comp, but it's worth mentioning. We were supposed to be cellar dwellers without Brees. And Winston didn't have a WR corps, Micheal Thomas was iced up the entire time. And his OL was adjusting to playing an offense that asked them to block a bit longer than they're used to, we all saw them struggling. In the preseason we had fans calling for Taysom Hill to start Week 1 😄 the disrespect. If he didn't get hurt, we'd all be pissed off we found our QBotF and couldn't sign him to his $35m a year contract this season (actually we probably could lol). 

I don't want it to sound like I'm bashing Winston, he was playing well and I was looking forward to seeing the growth over the course of the season.  He really did a good job fixing his INT problem from Tampa for the most part, and I had severely underestimated his deep ball before this year.  He had a good TD/INT, and yards/attempt, primarily owed to that deep ball ability.  But his responsibilities were also far less than Brady and Rodgers.  And extrapolating stats through 7 games over 17 doesn't work that well.  Guys like Russell Wilson would have been MVP like 3 years in a row.  Hell, Kyler and Stafford this year looked like they had a shot at MVP.  That's not to say Jameis wouldn't have gotten even better, there's just no way to know.  He was a number 1 pick for a reason though, the talent is clearly there, he just needs to put it all together.

All in all, my thoughts, I really, REALLY hope we bring Winston back for another go. The improvements we saw were, dramatic, frankly. AND he slowed down, a bunch. Slowed down and analyzed what was going on. It was fun to watch. Couple that with his attitude, he was becoming a Leader. Not just a leader, but a true Leader.

• 2 weeks later...

Chiefs fan here...not sure what thread would be appropriate....

I recently read the Pete Carmichael agreed to remain as offensive coordinator and in the article it mentioned he has been with the team for 17 years with 14 (IIRC) of them as OC. I didn't realize he has been with the organization that long! It got me wondering why there has never really been much buzz around him as a HC candidate over the years? Was he a clipboard holder for Sean Payton like our very own Eric Bienemy is for Andy Reid or was he the type of coach that is satisfied with a specific role and responsibility and not interested in going up the coaching ladder?

New Orleans has always had a potent, innovative offense and I am surprised there doesn't seem to be as much interest in trying to replicate by poaching Payton's understudies.

Edited by nicfre2011
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Chiefs fan here...not sure what thread would be appropriate....

I recently read the Pete Carmichael agreed to remain as offensive coordinator and in the article it mentioned he has been with the team for 17 years with 14 (IIRC) of them as OC. I didn't realize he has been with the organization that long! It got me wondering why there has never really been much buzz around him as a HC candidate over the years? Was he a clipboard holder for Sean Payton like our very own Eric Bienemy is for Andy Reid or was he the type of coach that is satisfied with a specific role and responsibility and not interested in going up the coaching ladder?

New Orleans has always had a potent, innovative offense a d I am surprised there doesn't seem to be as much interest in trying to replicate by poaching Payton's understudies.

He was a lot more than a clipboard holder here. He was asked to call plays numerous times, sometimes just for a week, sometimes for several weeks for a change of pace/spark, sometimes for a whole season. It was Payton’s offense but there’s no doubt he knew it just as well as Payton did.

Before he came to NOLA he was an offensive assistant for the Chargers with Brees at the helm under center. I think you can infer that Brees really liked Carmichael a lot from that.

I don’t think he has the temperament to be a HC. He used to interview for HC gigs all the time, but never got any real serious consideration. Eventually he started turning down HC interviews and everyone realized he was winding down his career. 

it’s hard to say if he was interviewing just for the experience and so the other team could say they did their due diligence, or if he really wanted those jobs and was pushing for them

37 minutes ago, Dome said:

He was a lot more than a clipboard holder here. He was asked to call plays numerous times, sometimes just for a week, sometimes for several weeks for a change of pace/spark, sometimes for a whole season. It was Payton’s offense but there’s no doubt he knew it just as well as Payton did.

Before he came to NOLA he was an offensive assistant for the Chargers with Brees at the helm under center. I think you can infer that Brees really liked Carmichael a lot from that.

I don’t think he has the temperament to be a HC. He used to interview for HC gigs all the time, but never got any real serious consideration. Eventually he started turning down HC interviews and everyone realized he was winding down his career. 

it’s hard to say if he was interviewing just for the experience and so the other team could say they did their due diligence, or if he really wanted those jobs and was pushing for them

Good feedback. I always thought he was a really good offensive mind and was surprised that he never got an opportunity as a HC.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We don't have a General thread so I'm posting here instead. Totally forgot about the NFL Schedule release and just looked it over. Even though we already knew our opponents, it didn't really dawn on me how interesting a year this *should* be. All things considered, Saints roster looks pretty decent. There is a lot of continuity on the coaching staff too, but of course it can't be understated that Payton is no longer in the building. If these Saints make it to the playoffs, I don't think anyone can call them lucky: between the AFC North and NFC West we've got a lot of teams with Super Bowl aspirations on the menu. Add in the Vikings (can't speak to their outlook, but we all know they don't like us and we don't like them 😂), the Eagles (humiliated us two years in a row... Still 3-0 all time in the playoffs though dasnice), and the Raiders (solid-looking team I'm perfectly indifferent towards), and by the time we cross the finish line of the regular season this roster will be battle tested.

Much has been made about this offseason, but does anyone else agree that the NFL just feels really... strange? this year. Like I feel like there's such a wide range of outcomes for basically everyone. I'm just glad the Saints aren't in the AFC.

Edit: The teams I *am* confident are going to be there in the Divisional Round at least, unfortunately, are Tampa and the Rams. Screencap this post and call me out on how laughably wrong I am (please).

Edited by Fray32

On 5/13/2022 at 11:00 AM, Fray32 said:

Totally forgot about the NFL Schedule release and just looked it over. Even though we already knew our opponents, it didn't really dawn on me how interesting a year this *should* be. All things considered, Saints roster looks pretty decent.

Edit: The teams I *am* confident are going to be there in the Divisional Round at least, unfortunately, are Tampa and the Rams. Screencap this post and call me out on how laughably wrong I am (please).

Looking at the schedule, and 3 prime-time games (which is fun) it looks pretty tough, but that's what we like, right?
The week 14 bye is the latest I remember us having in decades! Usually it is somewhere on or before week 7.

The Tampa talk stays high because... Brady, I suppose? Not that they're bad, but really, why?

If I were a new head coach, I'd be salivating at the weapons the Saints have this year, on both sides of the ball.

I have to chuckle, and I feel bad for Winston. He's on his 5th head coach going into his 8th season. That's just brutal for any QB. That said, most of the coaching staff has been retained. I think people miss that fact. Usually when a HC is replaced, the whole dang staff gets a shakeup, but not with this change. It's just a rearrangement, mostly.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to some football!!!!!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

DA needs firing... period. I say shake this team up and promote Ryan Nielsen to HC and find a good, young signal caller and see what happens. Just might surprise folks.

DA's certainly off to an unimpressive start. I know a lot of our key guys are hurt, but this is the slowest offensive start we've seen in decades. There's some serious lack of imagination going on here.

3 hours ago, Raves said:

I think this is less of a DA issue and just injuries/experience due to some replacements, not to mention not able to overcome refs with such short margins as is.

The biggest thing that is bothering me about our team's play is mistakes. Fumbles, dropped passes, blown coverages, missed tackles, missed field goals, penalties... all things mental, which tells me the team isn't focused, and that's a HUGE issue. So what's going on that is killing their focus?

We've seen several really good coaches start out shaky with a new HC role, and end up deep in the playoffs the following year. Let's hope for the deep playoff part.