49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

lol 

In all seriousness, I feel like people around the internet are pretty down on Lance and I think he's going to be an upgrade over Jimmy.

It's really weird, because I'm generally a pretty pessimistic guy, and I do expect there to be a few bumps in the road, but I'm feeling pretty good about him coming into this sesason. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, GW21 said:

In all seriousness, I feel like people around the internet are pretty down on Lance and I think he's going to be an upgrade over Jimmy.

It's really weird, because I'm generally a pretty pessimistic guy, and I do expect there to be a few bumps in the road, but I'm feeling pretty good about him coming into this sesason. 

I feel like he will stuggle for the most part but the defense should be freakin insane and that will help us pull out a few we probably shouldn't. I'm thinking 10-7 right now.

1 hour ago, Uncle_Rico said:

I'm happy we're holding on Jimmy despite the price. Having the best backup QB in the league is a good thing and one I'm willing to overpay for. Much prefer this over cutting him

Oh god no. If they hold on to him at 27 million as a backup, that really should be a fireable offense.  It'd be some of the worst asset management I've seen from a front office. 

If they are keeping him, it can't be at that price. Can't even afford our rookies at this point.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Oh god no. If they hold on to him at 27 million as a backup, that really should be a fireable offense.  It'd be some of the worst asset management I've seen from a front office. 

If they are keeping him, it can't be at that price. Can't even afford our rookies at this point.

Excatly. It's either backup Lance at a much much lower rate or get cut and sign as a back-up somewhere else for pennies on the dollar. The carousel has stopped and there's no more seats so where's he's going that he'll at least compete for a starting job, fresh off of shoulder surgery?? Our FO definitely has some egg on their face here but him and his agent completely screwed themselves with delaying his shoulder surgery.

mom son GIF

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I feel like he will stuggle for the most part but the defense should be freakin insane and that will help us pull out a few we probably shouldn't. I'm thinking 10-7 right now.

Yeah, I think that the defense's performance is the thing people are sleeping on. We spent last year with a complete gaping wound at outside corner - one of the most valuable positions on that side of the ball - and were very nasty towards the end of the year when the pass rush rotation was figured out. Injuries can obviously always happen and corner is a volatile position, but right now our depth at that position is as good as in 2020 when that unit basically single-handedly made the team competitive in the face of horrific injury luck.

On offense, the offensive line is a very real concern. We're rolling a bunch of reasonable dice for a bunch of positions, but there's only one of those slots that is solidly locked in. I think it's not unreasonable to expect that one or even probably two of those 6 dice hit as solid starters at positions. Jaylon Moore and Mike McGlinchey maybe. Dohnovan West and Aaron Banks. Spencer Burford and Daniel Brunskill. Maybe a wildcard like Poe or Zakelj or a weird Mack return or JC Tretter signing. But to expect more than that is unreasonable. So we'll probably have about two weak links somewhere to deal with. And if those are pass blocking weak links that can run block (and that describes basically every player on the unit), we've been dealing with those sort of problems for years. So while I expect things to get worse and the team can't afford a long term Trent Williams injury (his injury late in the season last year was a pretty large cause of our getting ousted in the playoffs - he wasn't the same guy and got uncharacteristically smoked a couple of times in the championship game), I don't think that it gets horrifically worse 2017 style. And if Lance has a superpower, it is avoiding sacks so far in his young career. Small sample size, but he was second behind Josh Allen at turning pressures into not sacks in the NFL. The Arizona game was case in point in dealing with crappy offensive line issues and not taking sacks. It was also case in point in how much work that he still needed accuracy wise and timing wise. I can tell you that Jimmy had a superpower of turning just about every pressure into a sack and also having his efficiency not just drop, but dive off of a cliff when pressured. He murdered teams like the Falcons that had no fight up front, but really struggled under pressure. And that's the best explanation for his playoff struggles for me through his career - playoff teams have a pulse up front and get him off of his platform and timing where he is quite good. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You know what would have been better than just releasing him in July? Never mind.............................

Ask away Jimbo. I still don't think we're going to outright cut him. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You know what would have been better than just releasing him in July? Never mind.............................

Jimmy has been a consummate professional. He needs to make his unhappiness known at some point

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

Jimmy has been a consummate professional. He needs to make his unhappiness known at some point

I would not be mad if Jimmy asks for his release shortly after he gets healthy. But this is just stupid they did not release him during free agency. The potential draft compensation they were going to get in July or August was never worth keeping him on the roster. Who knows if the extra 18M could have gotten us Chandler Jones or someone....Just such a trash situation.

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I would not be mad if Jimmy asks for his release shortly after he gets healthy. But this is just stupid they did not release him during free agency. The potential draft compensation they were going to get in July or August was never worth keeping him on the roster. Who knows if the extra 18M could have gotten us Chandler Jones or someone....Just such a trash situation.

The extra 7,5M might be worth it though. I really don't think we would have done much different if we cut him earlier.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

The extra 7,5M might be worth it though. I really don't think we would have done much different if we cut him earlier.

We could have gotten the 7.5M back for this year once he signed with a team though...Sure it would have been carried over to next season but this was brutal.

I'm not convinced we wouldn't be more aggressive if we had that extra money. They just seem to think they can get good compensation for him but it's just not happening. Now they are afraid of just releasing him. Terrible. 

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We could have gotten the 7.5M back for this year once he signed with a team though...Sure it would have been carried over to next season but this was brutal.

I'm not convinced we wouldn't be more aggressive if we had that extra money. They just seem to think they can get good compensation for him but it's just not happening. Now they are afraid of just releasing him. Terrible. 

Well, they said they were close to a deal before the shoulder surgery, so they were obviously getting something back from other teams indicating that he still had value. I'm still pretty sure we won't just straight up release him. He may ask to be released, and maybe we do him a solid and grant it, but I still think the most likely outcome is we trade him for something.