49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

5 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Well, they said they were close to a deal before the shoulder surgery, so they were obviously getting something back from other teams indicating that he still had value. I'm still pretty sure we won't just straight up release him. He may ask to be released, and maybe we do him a solid and grant it, but I still think the most likely outcome is we trade him for something. 

I mean this is all assuming he can't be traded though. 

Either way, whatever they get now will prove not to be worth carrying him on the roster for as long as we have. 

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean this is all assuming he can't be traded though. 

Either way, whatever they get now will prove not to be worth carrying him on the roster for as long as we have. 

How can you say that? There is no indication that we had any interest in guys like Chandler Jones or Stefan Gilmore other than random ‘experts’ on the internet making connections. We’ve been connected to pretty much every big name that’s become available the last three years, some of which we clearly had no interest or very minimal interest in.

It’s entirely possible we’d have the same guys on the roster today minus Jimmy had we decided to cut him when the league year began. Everything else is just conjecture. 

If we get a couple of picks for Jimmy then it’d absolutely be worth holding on to him.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, GW21 said:

How can you say that? There is no indication that we had any interest in guys like Chandler Jones or Stefan Gilmore other than random ‘experts’ on the internet making connections. We’ve been connected to pretty much every big name that’s become available the last three years, some of which we clearly had no interest or very minimal interest in.

It’s entirely possible we’d have the same guys on the roster today minus Jimmy had we decided to cut him when the league year began. Everything else is just conjecture. 

If we get a couple of picks for Jimmy then it’d absolutely be worth holding on to him.

Couple picks? What kind of picks? 

I'm not going to get into this any longer as I've been consistent on my thoughts on this matter for weeks. But yeah.....

19 hours ago, GW21 said:

They would be dumb to cut Jimmy while hurt, no guarantee Jimmy's gonna get $7.5M from another team, and as you said we have no clue how close we were in on Jones & Gilmore, we probably have the same roster now minus Jimmy, and $7.5M in cap room lost that may or may not be recovered in 2023, and people need to think long term, that $25.55M they'd save, they NEED to extend guys like Deebo & Bosa, while also having money for 2023 to carryover, it's not as simple as people think it is.

• Like 2

The Associated Press's Steve Reed reports "the Panthers are still interested in" Jimmy Garoppolo.

As was just reported on the connection between Carolina and Baker Mayfield, the issue is money. A team trading for either quarterback would inherit their salary, and neither is cheap. Garoppolo is set to make $24.2 million this year, and almost all of that will be shifted to his new team if no changes are made. Reed noted that a trade partner would need to "pick up a large portion of their salary" for Carolina to make a deal. For now, it looks like Garoppolo and Mayfield are stuck on their current teams. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

The Associated Press's Steve Reed reports "the Panthers are still interested in" Jimmy Garoppolo.

As was just reported on the connection between Carolina and Baker Mayfield, the issue is money. A team trading for either quarterback would inherit their salary, and neither is cheap. Garoppolo is set to make $24.2 million this year, and almost all of that will be shifted to his new team if no changes are made. Reed noted that a trade partner would need to "pick up a large portion of their salary" for Carolina to make a deal. For now, it looks like Garoppolo and Mayfield are stuck on their current teams. 

So all this talk of the 7.5M injury guarantee we would have had to pick up for his release to only take back more of his salary in a trade? Never mind……. 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So all this talk of the 7.5M injury guarantee we would have had to pick up for his release to only take back more of his salary in a trade? Never mind……. 

Nah, we won't trade him. May need him this year. 

Sources tell me that Lance is underwhelming and is learning to throw left handed because his right arm is so weak. 

• Like 6

On 5/18/2022 at 4:29 PM, GW21 said:

There are really only two starting jobs left in the nfl. Seattle and carolina. We obviously don't want him to go to Seattle this early in the off season, so we're holding him in the hopes we can bate Carolina into a trade with us. 

Money is really the only thing holding back the deal. Carolina can't afford and doesn't think Jimmy is worth the contract he has. Which, he isn't. Which he hasn't been for a while. 

Jimmy needs to be onboard with a paycut for the Panthers to do it. Will he? Niners can't and shouldn't eat any of his salary. Hard stop. And Darnold is waaaay too expensive for us to have in our QB room. We've already allocated the proper amount of money there. I'm not pushing darnolds cap hit into future years when we passed on so many other FAs 

so where does that leave us? Ultimately this has become a staring contest. 

If jimmy wants to go to seattle and is willing to work out a deal with them exclusively, and for that reason we are unable to trade him to other teams because he wont cooperate, then F it, lets actually trade him to seattle. 

To me, that is 10x better than eating money or taking Darnold back. Pass on that and good luck to you Rhule and Tepper. 

Money is the main motivation here, if the only a path where we get 100% of the money off the books is that he goes to seattle, then we might as well pinch our nose and get a pick out of it. IMO

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, N4L said:

If jimmy wants to go to seattle and is willing to work out a deal with them exclusively, and for that reason we are unable to trade him to other teams because he wont cooperate, then F it, lets actually trade him to seattle. 

Don’t see many trades to your rival, especially not to give them a starting QB, but I think Seattle is the only team that makes sense. He’s gonna go there anyway. Might as well get something in return and take a pick from them. 

• Like 2