49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Shocked by the McCrary-Ball guarantee

Yeah I was too. They gave out $127,500 in signing bonuses, & $590K in base salary guarantees, total of $717,500 GTD to 13 players, and Walston was waived, $5K counts fully as dead money.

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Media will be on the field today so I can't wait for the all the overreactions LOL.

Lawd have mercy if Trey throws a INT.....

Is this the only day that is open to the media this week? I know that they have to have at least one day open to the media, but I wasn't sure if Shanny was going to restrict it to just that single day (though knowing Shanny, I Think its a reasonable assumption) 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Is this the only day that is open to the media this week? I know that they have to have at least one day open to the media, but I wasn't sure if Shanny was going to restrict it to just that single day (though knowing Shanny, I Think its a reasonable assumption) 

I think for this week, this is the only day open to the media. But throughout OTAs, the media will get one open practice a week until we get to mandatory minicamp in June.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

I'm beginning to think he is gone/retired, which opens a spot for Brendel & West or Poe as backup, with Brunskill as backup on gamedays.

It kind of blows my mind that they have so much faith in Brendel. I was a fan coming out of UCLA, but I think he's like 30 now and I'm pretty sure he's only played a handful of games. 

• Like 1

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

https://theathletic.com/3311028/2022/05/24/vic-fangio-defense-analysis/?source=emp_shared_article

an article on our future DC..

I'll copy and paste anything I find interesting....

In an interview with ESPN prior to the 2019 season, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan and Matt LaFleur were all asked which coach’s defense is the most difficult to read and attack. All three highly successful play callers answered: Vic Fangio, the defensive coordinator of the Bears from 2015-18, and first-year coach with the Broncos in 2019.

In the season before that interview, Fangio earned McVay’s endorsement by introducing the league to the blueprint to stopping McVay’s offense, which looked unstoppable before that matchup. Fangio used a 6-1 tilt front with soft zone coverage to counter the Rams’ outside-zone runs, boots and play-action shot plays. After that Week 14 matchup, the Rams offense rarely looked as explosive as it was before, but it was still effective enough to reach the Super Bowl against the New England Patriots. Inspired by Fangio’s tactics, New England used its own version of the tilt front almost exclusively on early downs and held the Rams to three points.

• Like 2

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

In an interview with ESPN prior to the 2019 season, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan and Matt LaFleur were all asked which coach’s defense is the most difficult to read and attack. All three highly successful play callers answered: Vic Fangio, the defensive coordinator of the Bears from 2015-18, and first-year coach with the Broncos in 2019.

In the season before that interview, Fangio earned McVay’s endorsement by introducing the league to the blueprint to stopping McVay’s offense, which looked unstoppable before that matchup. Fangio used a 6-1 tilt front with soft zone coverage to counter the Rams’ outside-zone runs, boots and play-action shot plays. After that Week 14 matchup, the Rams offense rarely looked as explosive as it was before, but it was still effective enough to reach the Super Bowl against the New England Patriots. Inspired by Fangio’s tactics, New England used its own version of the tilt front almost exclusively on early downs and held the Rams to three points.

Part of why Fangio’s system is spreading around the league is that it is in many ways the next philosophical counterpunch to Pete Carroll’s single-high (one deep safety) system that took over the league after the Legion of Boom’s success. After that era, teams designed their offenses to beat three deep, and coaches from that tree quickly discovered that you need an embarrassment of riches to run a system in which one of the core tenets is simplicity. Robert Saleh — arguably the most successful coach from Carroll’s tree — had his best season as a defensive coordinator when he started implementing some of Fangio’s coverage principles to his defense in 2020, the season the 49ers won the NFC championship. The Athletic’s Diante Lee believes even Carroll’s Seahawks will officially move away from single-high defenses and run a Fangio-like two-high (two deep safeties) defense under newly promoted defensive coordinator Clint Hurtt, Fangio’s defensive line coach in Chicago.

• Like 2