49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

Part of why Fangio’s system is spreading around the league is that it is in many ways the next philosophical counterpunch to Pete Carroll’s single-high (one deep safety) system that took over the league after the Legion of Boom’s success. After that era, teams designed their offenses to beat three deep, and coaches from that tree quickly discovered that you need an embarrassment of riches to run a system in which one of the core tenets is simplicity. Robert Saleh — arguably the most successful coach from Carroll’s tree — had his best season as a defensive coordinator when he started implementing some of Fangio’s coverage principles to his defense in 2020, the season the 49ers won the NFC championship. The Athletic’s Diante Lee believes even Carroll’s Seahawks will officially move away from single-high defenses and run a Fangio-like two-high (two deep safeties) defense under newly promoted defensive coordinator Clint Hurtt, Fangio’s defensive line coach in Chicago.

What makes Fangio’s defense the best response to modern offenses? Its two-high (two deep safeties) structure limits explosive plays and forces offenses to stay patient and throw short. The front mechanics allow the defense to slow down the run with light boxes and commit more resources to coverage. Pre-snap, the defense is committed to showing the same Cover 4 shell for as long as possible so quarterbacks have to make reads after the snap. Even after the snap, it’s hard to draw a bead on what the coverage is because of how the defensive backs disperse from the top down. To get a grasp of how the system works and what makes it unique, I spoke with 49ers defensive quality control coach Steven Adegoke, Chris Vass, who consults with NFL and college coaches, and Brian Vaughn, the creator of Blitzology.

• Like 2

What makes Fangio’s defense the best response to modern offenses? Its two-high (two deep safeties) structure limits explosive plays and forces offenses to stay patient and throw short. The front mechanics allow the defense to slow down the run with light boxes and commit more resources to coverage. Pre-snap, the defense is committed to showing the same Cover 4 shell for as long as possible so quarterbacks have to make reads after the snap. Even after the snap, it’s hard to draw a bead on what the coverage is because of how the defensive backs disperse from the top down. To get a grasp of how the system works and what makes it unique, I spoke with 49ers defensive quality control coach Steven Adegoke, Chris Vass, who consults with NFL and college coaches, and Brian Vaughn, the creator of Blitzology.

“The secret is a lot of offensive guys read the weak safety and if that guy is standing in the same place in three deep as he is in Cover 6, as he is in Cover 8, as in quarters, that’s a problem,” Vass explained. “Post-snap, it’s easy to figure out, but pre-snap it could be anything. And they don’t tip their hand very much. I can see it sitting behind a desk, but even that’s hard to spot — what’s it like when ******* Von Miller is coming at you?”

• Like 2

“The secret is a lot of offensive guys read the weak safety and if that guy is standing in the same place in three deep as he is in Cover 6, as he is in Cover 8, as in quarters, that’s a problem,” Vass explained. “Post-snap, it’s easy to figure out, but pre-snap it could be anything. And they don’t tip their hand very much. I can see it sitting behind a desk, but even that’s hard to spot — what’s it like when ******* Von Miller is coming at you?”

Stopping the run on early downs used to be near or at the top of the list of priorities for defensive coordinators, but based on where resources are committed in defensive structures, the priority is now limiting the run because explosive passes hurt defenses more. To get away with playing two safeties deep and lining up light boxes, Fangio and his disciples have their defensive linemen play with a gap-and-half technique.

When playing this technique, defensive linemen aren’t aggressively coming up the field as a single-gap team would and they aren’t just trying to stay square on offensive linemen and control two gaps like old-school, odd-front teams would do. Instead, they attack their primary gap with enough control so that they can “fall back” into their secondary gap. The objective isn’t to make a tackle but force the ball to “roll” outside, which gives defensive backs time to come up in run support from depth. What they don’t want is for vertical seams to open up on the first level and have ball carriers quickly get north and south.

“In split safety (two-high), you can spill the ball because you can bounce to your help,” Adegoke said. “In post safety (one-high) defense, you want to build a wall because you’re not guaranteed help outside because those players are playing their pass responsibilities. So no matter what your front mechanics are, they have to align with the coverage.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

It kind of blows my mind that they have so much faith in Brendel. I was a fan coming out of UCLA, but I think he's like 30 now and I'm pretty sure he's only played a handful of games. 

I remember his name, thought he was some young pup then looked him up lol...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Stopping the run on early downs used to be near or at the top of the list of priorities for defensive coordinators, but based on where resources are committed in defensive structures, the priority is now limiting the run because explosive passes hurt defenses more. To get away with playing two safeties deep and lining up light boxes, Fangio and his disciples have their defensive linemen play with a gap-and-half technique.

When playing this technique, defensive linemen aren’t aggressively coming up the field as a single-gap team would and they aren’t just trying to stay square on offensive linemen and control two gaps like old-school, odd-front teams would do. Instead, they attack their primary gap with enough control so that they can “fall back” into their secondary gap. The objective isn’t to make a tackle but force the ball to “roll” outside, which gives defensive backs time to come up in run support from depth. What they don’t want is for vertical seams to open up on the first level and have ball carriers quickly get north and south.

“In split safety (two-high), you can spill the ball because you can bounce to your help,” Adegoke said. “In post safety (one-high) defense, you want to build a wall because you’re not guaranteed help outside because those players are playing their pass responsibilities. So no matter what your front mechanics are, they have to align with the coverage.”

I think the key to modern defenses has now become the LBs, more specifically, the pass coverage of LBs. If you have LBs who can eliminate the checkdowns and the quick passes, you're winning. Because an offense will be able to pass even in the face of a fierce pass rush if there are outlets. But if you combine pass rush with good LB coverage, it doesn't matter what happens on the back end, you'll get your 3 and outs. And if you have good LB coverage and good coverage on the back end, it doesn't matter how good your pass rush is. But you can have great DBs and great pass rush and still be ripped apart, if you're weak at LB. You can switch to nickel or dime defenses to help out, but then the offense will get better match-ups in the running game. The better you can cover with your base personnel, the better off you are. That's why, I think, that Dre Greenlaw is ultimately a more important player than Al Shaair. He's better in coverage. But Al Shaair truly has a knack for making plays at or behind the LOS. So the choice of who we keep next year will be mostly philosophical. Chances are, we'll keep the healthier of the two. But I think LBs are the key to our defense, and to Fangio's scheme too. He was a LB coach back in the 80s, wasn't he? And when he was with us, the defense pretty much ran through Willis and Bowman. The greatness of Patrick Willis, to me, will always be his ability to completely eliminate the flats from the offense's playbook. They could not run a screen or a swing pass if Willis was on the field, and they couldn't defy him over the middle either. And it's not a coincidence that Demeco is a former probowl LB. And it's also not a coincidence that we're a great defense and we have a great LB in the middle of it in Warner. You can disguise the coverages and all, but the pure ability of a LB to cover can't be schemed. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 49erscap said:

Not sure if posted but Dee Ford expected to be released in the coming weeks, likely post June 1 cut, saves $225K, will help sign our draft class.

This is past due. Ford is finished and just milking us. Probably wants to play again, but I don't think he will. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Goodwin is the exact type of former 49er that Seattle gets their hands on and squeezes out a lot of production out of. 

I know he and Jimmy were close at one point. 

If we cut Jimmy, it feels like he will be a Seahawk for sure. 

Watson is going to be suspended for at least 2 years, I think. The league was pretty pissed at the browns for giving him that contract. I think they lay the hammer down. 

Baker is done with Cleveland. The bridge is burned.

Garoppolo would be a pretty solid option for the Browns given their roster. stefanski runs the kubiak offense so it's very similar to what Kyle does.

They have a good OL, good run game, good TEs, solid enough defense. Ohio isn't too far from Chicago. I think Jimmy would be willing to do a 2 year deal with Cleveland and rework his contract a bit. It's better than Seattle or Carolina 1000% 

I'm super down for a baker/Jimmy three way trade with Seattle and Cleveland. Cleveland gives a future 3rd to us, Seattle gives a future 5 to Cleveland, we give Garoppolo to Cleveland 

Browns get a pick swap and a QB swap

Seattle gets a talented QB for a 5th 

49ers get a third for Jimmy Garoppolo 

Garoppolo will probably help the browns win back some of their female fans too lmao 

59 minutes ago, Forge said:

We will see how long it will take the NFL to actually suspend Watson. You just never know with them

Man this situation stinks to high heaven. The NFL has handed out punishments that don't always fit the crime, but this one they HAVE to get right. 

• Watson needs a lengthy suspension, like 2 years.
  • The Texans need to be fined and people in on this losing their jobs, if they in fact knew and helped him
  • The Browns need to be fined if they knew and still traded for him. Not blowing the whistle on this IF they knew prior to making the deal is gross.
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Man this situation stinks to high heaven. The NFL has handed out punishments that don't always fit the crime, but this one they HAVE to get right. 

• Watson needs a lengthy suspension, like 2 years.
  • The Texans need to be fined and people in on this losing their jobs, if they in fact knew and helped him
  • The Browns need to be fined if they knew and still traded for him. Not blowing the whistle on this IF they knew prior to making the deal is gross.

If they give Calvin ridley a year for a $1500 bet when he wasn't playing, Watson really should be getting at least that. 

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

If they give Calvin ridley a year for a $1500 bet when he wasn't playing, Watson really should be getting at least that. 

For sure. What Ridley did wasn't cool, but there is no way in hell Watson's suspension should be lighter than Ridley's. 

• Like 1